Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police: Md. man dies when Lyft driver ends ride on highway

DEWEY BEACH, Del. – A Maryland man has died after police say his Lyft driver ordered him out of the car in the middle of a Delaware highway.

Delaware State Police say the crash occurred Sunday around 2 a.m. A group of six friends ordered a Lyft ride from Dewey Beach back to their residence in Bethany Beach.

The group was traveling south on U.S. 1 when a dispute arose with the driver.

Police say the Lyft driver stopped in the left lane of the highway and demanded the group get out of the car.

A 43-year-old man from Clarksburg, Maryland, got out of the car on the right side and was struck by a passing Toyota Corolla. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said they are looking for the Lyft driver, who fled the scene after the crash. No other injuries were reported.

(one of four articles in link below)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Sure but dropping them off on the left shoulder of a highway? That’s insanity.
I wasn't sure exactly what that means without knowing all the facts. I've seen highways with a shoulder on the left and right side for breakdowns. Whichever shoulder side you pull over to the passengers would exit out the door on the side of the shoulder right? Unless you are drunk? Now if there was no shoulder and he just stopped in the middle of the lane that would be crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
1. You never leave anyone on the Highway and find the first exit. If you feel your life is in danger then you pull over to the right side in the emergency lane, exit the car and call the authorities.

2. The driver fleeing the scene could be in some major trouble and Lyft need to let the local law enforcement find this individual so they can be questioned on why they left the scene and why the demanded the pax exit the vehicle in a dangerous situation?

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
So I'm not defending the Lyft driver but if I were asked to get out of a vehicle and was of sound mind, what are the odds that I would magically end up dead on the highway? 1 maybe 2%?

There's grass, there's woods and a million other safe places to wait, use my cell phone and call for assistance.

I'm guessing there might be more to this story...

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
I'm guessing there might be more to this story...
I'm guessing 6 drunks forced their way into an X vehicle. En route, the drunk who had a death wish leaned over and screamed into the driver's ear, "PULL OVER HERE IMMEDIALTY RIGHT NOW, I NEED TO GET OUT AND TAKE A PISS!!!"

·
Super Moderator
8,660 Posts
I’ve been on that road dozens of times between Rehoboth beach (DE) to Ocean City (MD). The stretch between Bethany Beach and Dewey Beach is a 4 lane road (not really a highway) and there really isn’t a center median or a shoulder to pull over into on the left side so he basically had to have stopped in the left lane. The driver’s mistake was not pulling onto the right shoulder so he created a very unsafe condition. All he had to do was pull over on the right shoulder, anyone familiar with that road knows he used very poor judgement stopping to the left.

In this particular case it’s impossible to defend the driver, it‘s just plain stupid to stop in the left lane to eject someone.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I'm guessing 6 drunks forced their way into an X vehicle. En route, the drunk who had a death wish leaned over and screamed into the driver's ear, "PULL OVER HERE IMMEDIALTY RIGHT NOW, I NEED TO GET OUT AND TAKE A PISS!!!"
This is my area so I wouldn't doubt it.
Shit like this is why I ONLY deliver food.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’ve been on that road dozens of times between Rehoboth beach (DE) to Ocean City (MD). The stretch between Bethany Beach and Dewey Beach is a 4 lane road (not really a highway) and there really isn’t a center median or a shoulder to pull over into on the left side so he basically had to have stopped in the left lane. The driver’s mistake was not pulling onto the right shoulder so he created a very unsafe condition. All he had to do was pull over on the right shoulder, anyone familiar with that road knows he used very poor judgement stopping to the left.

In this particular case it’s impossible to defend the driver, it‘s just plain stupid to stop in the left lane to eject someone.
I would say that the deceased estate may have a case for comparative negligence against the driver given the conditions.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts