Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week lyft added a weekly earning goal with dollar amts. the highest being $560. They said it means nothing but since they added it I've only been able to average $13 to $15 per hour. 560÷40 = $14 It seems like earnings are capped. Also in the past two weeks several times I've waited over an hour for rides which has never happened even in summer basically if i exceed 14$ per hour I sit withut getting requests or only minimum rides till my average goes down. So far I've spoken with 5 daily drivers and when they averaged out their hourly rate last week and this week its in the 14$ range. Has anyone else noticed this. Typically I've always averaged between 18 and 25$ per hour.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Last week lyft added a weekly earning goal with dollar amts. the highest being $560. They said it means nothing but since they added it I've only been able to average $13 to $15 per hour. 560÷40 = $14 It seems like earnings are capped. Also in the past two weeks several times I've waited over an hour for rides which has never happened even in summer basically if i exceed 14$ per hour I sit withut getting requests or only minimum rides till my average goes down. So far I've spoken with 5 daily drivers and when they averaged out their hourly rate last week and this week its in the 14$ range. Has anyone else noticed this. Typically I've always averaged between 18 and 25$ per hour.
I haven't seen anything like that in my app

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
You could be seeing the seasonal slowdown in your data or be driving in the wrong area of town at the wrong time. Doesn't make sense that Lyft would exclude their best drivers just to keep everyone's dollar per hour at a certain level.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could be seeing the seasonal slowdown in your data or be driving in the wrong area of town at the wrong time. Doesn't make sense that Lyft would exclude their best drivers just to keep everyone's dollar per hour at a certain level.
Just some background. 2003-2013 I drove a town car and developed my own clientele and was very successful. I only stopped because uber and lyft changed the business dramatically. I had a good run things change. So I understand slow summer. But I've always made money all seasons. I'm very intuitive and perhaps a bit lucky. I just started driving lyft last august and I'm just shy of 2500 rides really don't know if thats a lot or not. I work 30-40 hrs. per week. Up until last week and this week the longest I've waited for a ride has not been more than 30 minutes. I never chase primetime I rarely get primetime rides. And as I said looking at history I average 18-25ph. Highest week was 30ph. Last week through today on 4 occasions now I've waited an hour. Wednesday morning i had back to back 40 mile rides dropping the last one at the airport at 4:40 a.m.. From 4:40 to 6:10 I was in tempe mesa area and did not receive a request. 1 1/2 hrs. during those hours doesn't make sense. Wednesday evening worked just shy of 8 hrs. made $42 really $42. Wednesdays are usually one of the busier nights. Somethings wrong! Last night 7.25 hrs. $158. Average for the week so far 14.60. My data is not slow always 20 to 30 megs. So I'm not having connection problems. I'm not bashing lyft I enjoy driving for them. But clearly somethings not right. Also I've only been able to find 5 drivers so far that have this weekly goal thing.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Just some background. 2003-2013 I drove a town car and developed my own clientele and was very successful. I only stopped because uber and lyft changed the business dramatically. I had a good run things change. So I understand slow summer. But I've always made money all seasons. I'm very intuitive and perhaps a bit lucky. I just started driving lyft last august and I'm just shy of 2500 rides really don't know if thats a lot or not. I work 30-40 hrs. per week. Up until last week and this week the longest I've waited for a ride has not been more than 30 minutes. I never chase primetime I rarely get primetime rides. And as I said looking at history I average 18-25ph. Highest week was 30ph. Last week through today on 4 occasions now I've waited an hour. Wednesday morning i had back to back 40 mile rides dropping the last one at the airport at 4:40 a.m.. From 4:40 to 6:10 I was in tempe mesa area and did not receive a request. 1 1/2 hrs. during those hours doesn't make sense. Wednesday evening worked just shy of 8 hrs. made $42 really $42. Wednesdays are usually one of the busier nights. Somethings wrong! Last night 7.25 hrs. $158. Average for the week so far 14.60. My data is not slow always 20 to 30 megs. So I'm not having connection problems. I'm not bashing lyft I enjoy driving for them. But clearly somethings not right. Also I've only been able to find 5 drivers so far that have this weekly goal thing.
It has been super slow this week in general I noticed. Rides have been pretty scarce. I was able to scratch out $200 on Wednesday in 9 hours but I'm sure that was sheer luck because I definitely had to drive about 375 miles for that.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sounds like summer to me. The market just got flooded with teachers. The tourists and students are gone. People are scattering to get out of the heat.

That said, Lyft is as dirty as the day is long, so I don’t automatically dismiss your theory. It’s at least plausible that some SJW would come up with an idea to flatten out income to equalize pay, using a driver’s own disclosure against him.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
That's key here Stevemesa - wasn't trying to question your driving ability or your smarts. There must be more than a thousand teachers out there driving U/L right now in addition to the regulars, with less tourists. Signs of that: the airport que will have more than 200 U/L drivers waiting at times, 130+ most of the time. When they're teaching, 80 to 100 U/L drivers waiting at the slow times. When you look on Uber's rider app, they usually show you where the 5 to 6 closest cars are. In Tempe and in the summer, that area could be two square miles; non summer in Tempe, 4 to 6 square miles (i..e. less ants per square mile). Other signs: next to no surges. The seasonal slowdown sounds like the more likely answer. Are you familiar with this thread?: https://uberpeople.net/threads/summer-slowdown.168942/ There are some good ideas on it.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
This shows at the screen bottom when I'm online only, is that where you're seeing this? It's been there for a while for me. You can swipe across it to see your incentives info too. Mine shows a weekly goal of $75.... LOL. I asked Lyft about it a few weeks ago finally, and they claim I must have entered that when I first signed up. I told them I recall no such thing being presented. Anyway, they told me there's no way to edit the amount currently. That $75 amount is certainly not limiting my earnings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same experience. So frustrating. I'm new but made 300-400 on Saturday night the first monthish. The last week especially was so bad. I drove 19 hours Friday and Saturday and made $300 ugh! I waited around old town for over an hour Friday with nothing. And I drive the loop I don't sit. So I drove away. Hope it picks up I need it.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
You're looking for tips...here's another one.

Don't just aimlessly drive around. You are putting miles on your car and using gas without making any money for it.
Find a place to park, grocery store lot, Circle K, etc. Wait for a period of time....15 - 30 minutes or so, if you don't get a ping, move a few miles away and repeat the process. Less wear and tear on your vehicle, less gas used, and a chance to get out of the car and stretch your legs a bit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Every driver has different needs but since I got my full-time job in February I no longer rely on Uber/Lyft/Veyo for full-time earnings.

I still love to drive and meet people thus the reason why I still drive but my goal is only $250 per week and that is not a necessity just a goal.

Some weeks are more. Some weeks are less. Some weeks are spot on. Its all extra money and that is the way I like it.

During this slow down you have to set reasonable goals because you are not going to strike it rich. Lyft is dead during the summer. Uber is busy enough still for me to make $50 in 2-4 hours.

Anyways, be safe and stay hydrated!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Every driver has different needs but since I got my full-time job in February I no longer rely on Uber/Lyft/Veyo for full-time earnings.

I still love to drive and meet people thus the reason why I still drive but my goal is only $250 per week and that is not a necessity just a goal.

Some weeks are more. Some weeks are less. Some weeks are spot on. Its all extra money and that is the way I like it.

During this slow down you have to set reasonable goals because you are not going to strike it rich. Lyft is dead during the summer. Uber is busy enough still for me to make $50 in 2-4 hours.

Anyways, be safe and stay hydrated!
I agree, it's nice not to have to rely on this income. It's a lot of fun during peak season tho that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts