Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not turning a blind eye. L has fewer diacussions and complaints here because U has a greater market share in San Diego. Like you, U keeps me busier than L

I've had some decent length rides on Lyft. Oceanside to north LA. Del Mar to SAN. Carlsbad to Solana. Point Loma to Encinitas. Mira Mesa to OB. Was getting regular $10-15 fares and often longer. Most common tip for me there seems to be $5. For a while I thought Lyft had longer rides on average. No longer. Lots of $3 minimum fares lately and I think past was being at the right place at the right time. Some strategic, some luck.

Overall, L seems to be worse for me as well. The other stuff that bugs me isn't just rides, it's the programming in the app.
-Poor DF. Pulling me off the highway while in DF only to go the opposite direction for a minimum fare.
-Bad address display - business name appreciated but what's the address.
- Displays address but not city. Not cool especially if it's up to LA.
-Map always in north is up orientation.

There's more, but that's a start.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
On my phone when I start a Lyft trip the destination flickers for a brief second and shifts to mapping...so I have to go back to Lyft app or proceed blindly.
Displays address in a size thats about 4 font when requests pops up.
The orientation of the pick-up point is severely lacking.
Pick-up requests often 16 minutes away...really who's going to do that?
I don't use the DF because its worthless!

On the plus side....when its slow I can turn it on and pick up a trip. Some are $20 variety but many are shorties.
I feel the Lyft passengers tip more frequently than Uber.

I will continue to drive Lyft as my back-up rideshare money maker.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I do days only, foober is 10-1 Lyft, run both apps at same time, there will be times I forget to turn Lyft off, take 3 0r 4 foober rides, and not get a Lyft request the whole time. There are certains areas that tend to be more pro Lyft than foober... UCSD, North Park, Hillcrest, and those are areas I actually try to avoid, because of the shortie rides, and lack of tipping.
So in my case I think there is a reason for the lack of Lyft rides

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Like Blu said Lyft should be used as a backup to Uber. I use Lyft mainly for Destination rides or for primetime rides. I will also take a Lyft request if I just need to take a ride to get out of the area. I don’t like how Lyft won’t display the address of pickup so I rarely take a Lyft ride over Uber.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Not turning a blind eye. L has fewer diacussions and complaints here because U has a greater market share in San Diego. Like you, U keeps me busier than L

I've had some decent length rides on Lyft. Oceanside to north LA. Del Mar to SAN. Carlsbad to Solana. Point Loma to Encinitas. Mira Mesa to OB. Was getting regular $10-15 fares and often longer. Most common tip for me there seems to be $5. For a while I thought Lyft had longer rides on average. No longer. Lots of $3 minimum fares lately and I think past was being at the right place at the right time. Some strategic, some luck.

Overall, L seems to be worse for me as well. The other stuff that bugs me isn't just rides, it's the programming in the app.
-Poor DF. Pulling me off the highway while in DF only to go the opposite direction for a minimum fare.
-Bad address display - business name appreciated but what's the address.
- Displays address but not city. Not cool especially if it's up to LA.
-Map always in north is up orientation.

There's more, but that's a start.
Yeah, I mean, there's a thousand restaurants and bars in this town, and the Lyft app doesn't give the addy, just the name, assuming I will be happy following the GPS blindly. Well, no, I like to have a general idea of where I'm going before I go, and that being said, sometimes I choose a different path than offered on the GPS, as I know the city very well. The GPS is a "suggestion", it's not always the best way to get there. Also, pool rides do not give me the option to turn off accepting additional passengers like the Uber app does, which is a nice feature to have if you hate pool rides.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I mean, there's a thousand restaurants and bars in this town, and the Lyft app doesn't give the addy, just the name, assuming I will be happy following the GPS blindly. Well, no, I like to have a general idea of where I'm going before I go, and that being said, sometimes I choose a different path than offered on the GPS, as I know the city very well. The GPS is a "suggestion", it's not always the best way to get there. Also, pool rides do not give me the option to turn off accepting additional passengers like the Uber app does, which is a nice feature to have if you hate pool rides.
If you get multiple liners just don't pick up the 2nd group. Keep driving.

Sometimes it's worth it though. This line was at 150% and pax B greatly extended trip distance. If pax B was going to be dropped off before pax A or not significantly further than pax A I would have kept driving until B cancels.

Map World Font Screenshot Slope

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s different for everybody. I recently switched to Lyft only because I was doing a rental. My profile on UP may say new driver but I’ve been doing it full time for 1.5 years.
Live in North Park so I can always start at home typically with a 5min or less pickup distance. Lyft’s volume has picked up quite a bit from a year ago and I’m quite busy on Saturday/Sundays. During the week, days are definitely tougher on Lyft but usually manageable. Both companies have its perks and quirks but I LOVE being able to see the location on arrival and I don’t feel cheated with pay on Line rides as I do with Pool, and I typically collect a couple $5 cancel fees per week. Of course the tipping is better.
I’m likely going off the rental program soon and will add Uber back in. If you’re in the burbs, I can definitely see how a Lyft looks like a joke, but it’s much more feasible to be Lyft only than you may think. And no, I’m not a Lyft plant. Their insurance deductible is ridiculous, support is getting weaker and their bonus structure has no rhyme or reason to it and changes weekly.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It's different for everybody. I recently switched to Lyft only because I was doing a rental. My profile on UP may say new driver but I've been doing it full time for 1.5 years.
Live in North Park so I can always start at home typically with a 5min or less pickup distance. Lyft's volume has picked up quite a bit from a year ago and I'm quite busy on Saturday/Sundays. During the week, days are definitely tougher on Lyft but usually manageable. Both companies have its perks and quirks but I LOVE being able to see the location on arrival and I don't feel cheated with pay on Line rides as I do with Pool, and I typically collect a couple $5 cancel fees per week. Of course the tipping is better.
I'm likely going off the rental program soon and will add Uber back in. If you're in the burbs, I can definitely see how a Lyft looks like a joke, but it's much more feasible to be Lyft only than you may think. And no, I'm not a Lyft plant. Their insurance deductible is ridiculous, support is getting weaker and their bonus structure has no rhyme or reason to it and changes weekly.
I don't think anyone is saying you can't make any money driving Lyft..I think most drivers would agree that running Uber and Lyft at the same time is the best option with Lyft as your secondary. Obviously you only have one option at the moment.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
If you get multiple liners just don't pick up the 2nd group. Keep driving.

Sometimes it's worth it though. This line was at 150% and pax B greatly extended trip distance. If pax B was going to be dropped off before pax A or not significantly further than pax A I would have kept driving until B cancels.
With Lyft, you'll make more money with pools (so they say), with Uber, they pay less per mile. I don't drive lyft because of the $2400 deductible.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
With Lyft, you'll make more money with pools (so they say), with Uber, they pay less per mile. I don't drive lyft because of the $2400 deductible.
I have statefarm for the TNC coverage. They cover periods 1 through 3 for your personal deductibles so my effective deductible for Lyft is $500.

There is a $2400 deductible to drive for Lyft?
He's referring to the on trip and en route to passenger insurance that you have with Lyft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have statefarm for the TNC coverage. They cover periods 1 through 3 for your personal deductibles so my effective deductible for Lyft is $500.

He's referring to the on trip and en route to passenger insurance that you have with Lyft.
Thanks for the info Null. Currently doing the Lyft rental thing but will eventually go back to owning. Will look into State Farm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts