Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Lyft ping to pick up a woman at a place called "Group Therapy." The app said she was 2 minutes away.

I thought, "Huh, maybe one of the bars just up the street changed its name."

Then my phone rang before the navigation even kicked in. It was the pax telling me that she was standing at the corner of Green & Harden streets. I said, "Wait, are you in COLUMBIA?" She said "Yes, I'm on the corner at Green Street and Harden Street..."

I had to tell her I was in Myrtle Beach & couldn't come pick her up. I don't think she even believed me ... she probably thought I was just being a jerk, but she cancelled.

Myrtle Beach is at least a 2.5 hour drive from Columbia. How in the hell did I get pinged in MB to pick someone up at a bar in a city that's 160 miles away?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Lyft glitch or incompetent pax?

It could very well be that the pax relied on the GPS feature of the phone and didn't check the GPS location before requesting, many phones with a low power mode could disable GPS tracking to save battery and just show the last known location that GPS tracking was used, it could also be that GPS tracking was disabled by the user (and forgot it was disabled) or even an issue with the pax's phone itself

I don't drive (yet) or ride with Lyft (though I do have the Lyft app) so I am not sure exactly how the app works, but does the app allow pax to update the PU address after requesting? If not, that could explain the immediate phone call

It sounds more like the pax's fault (or maybe their phone's), it doesn't make sense to me that there would be a glitch with Lyft where it would display a wrong location locally from accurate information inserted (either by pax or GPS) from 2+ hours away, the request information would have had to be inaccurate from the start

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most mapping look-up functions start to auto fill in after a few letters are typed in. Depending on the display resolution or zoom features on a pax phone, that second line (with the city, st) is obscured. Pax click on the first suggestion, only seeing street and number is correct, but the address is in another town.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Had that happen to me too. Got a ping in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm in Redondo Beach, CA. I called pax, confirmed his location and told him it'll take me a couple of hours to get to him because I'm in RB. He checked his app, and laughed. Told him to cancel, and he did. BTW, SB is about 100 miles from RB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts