Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the diver and pax. I think yesterday I by mistake was in pax app and made a request.

anyone else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Community,
I am working on a research project focusing on the premise that "Uber should be classified as an employee, not an independent contractor."
There are many articles published on the web, but I feel like its coming from third party perspectives gathering examples from both sides. . . . not really addressing the issue at hands.
I would love to hear from you: drivers, passengers, and anyone who has unique stories, perspectives, examples, case studies that may further my research.
Look forward to hearing back from you, thank you for your help in advance!
Best,
Juliana

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dear Community,
I am working on a research project focusing on the premise that "Uber should be classified as an employee, not an independent contractor."
There are many articles published on the web, but I feel like its coming from third party perspectives gathering examples from both sides. . . . not really addressing the issue at hands.
I would love to hear from you: drivers, passengers, and anyone who has unique stories, perspectives, examples, case studies that may further my research.
Best,
Juliana
You won't get any help from this independent contractor if your goal is to make me an employee. I would not work for Uber and give up my ability to turn the app on and off at my convenience, not theirs. Now stop spamming the board with posts that have nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Dear Community,
Best,
Juliana
nothing personal, but it's annoying when journalists/academics ask for info.

just sign up to be a driver (or delve through the threads). you'll get all the first-hand info you need in the first two hours of reading through the bazillion threads or driving random passengers.

all the criticisms from drivers are no different than what happened to Microsoft "contract" programmers, FedEx "contract" drivers, etc.

Drivers have pretty much (for all practical purposes) limitless liability/downside (on the hook for the expenses, no workers' comp, personal liability should there be an accident, etc) for each measly $10 ride....while Uber/Lyft HQ (i give sidecar a pass cuz they'll be bankrupt soon) get all the upside from stock options/safe rider fees, etc.

it's only the fact that due to the fecal economy, peeps need any income/monetize any skills/assets (a car/driving) that the have. ....Or peeps are ignorant of the true risks/costs and they think profit = fares - gas. (I wish I could run a business built upon financial innumeracy)

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
No offense taken. .. thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
don't know the arguments used by the attorney in the CA Uber drivers case, but a couple of the biggest argument that drivers are "employees" is that a) Uber penalizes drivers based on 'acceptance rate.' As a true 1099-er, one should be free to turn down as many assignments as they want as it's the rider who "hires" the driver and pays a finder's fee to Uber. and that b) Uber sets the fares.

Of the ride hailing apps, Sidecar is truest to the spirit of drivers as independent contractors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts