Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello uber drivers. I want to ask a question. Is it legal to display lyft and uber trade dresses on the front and the back of your car and display 2 registrations with the city of Chicago on the dashboard in front of you. Can I get a ticket doing this at Ohare or Midway. Does somebody actually drive like this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
So this is by no means "scientific" and has a ridiculously small sample size...but got my first daily summary from Lyft after trying it out exclusively for a few hours yesterday.... 3 of the 5 rides I gave yesterday added a tip on after the fact. So the net result ended up being the tips nearly wiped out all of the Lyft fees from the total fare. My net was $45.62 on $47 in total fees.

This might be a case where it's in the driver's best interest to promote Lyft as much as possible. I'm not advocating handing out Lyft codes to Uber riders (although somehow it wouldn't surprise me if some of you guys/gals on here did) ;), but through whatever channels are at your disposal...promote Lyft. Currently its is a "Bigger vs. Better" argument, and unfortunately, "bigger" is winning despite Lyft seemingly being a slightly more driver friendly model.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't see why it would be illegal. Then again, if the city wants money they will make you blanket your windshield with 1000 permits and ticket you for having an obstructed view. So, you know, Chicago.

I just hope Lyft is still in business next year (trying to spread the sign up bonuses over 2 tax years). Considering that I only drive a few busy hours per week anyway, it's entirely possible that tips make up for Lyft being slower. I'd be running Lyft only for a couple weeks to make the bonus. If Lyft plus tips is even close to Uber without tips, I'd just keep Uber off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If Lyft plus tips is even close to Uber without tips, I'd just keep Uber off.
I think the leap-of-faith that Lyft drivers face is whether or not to turn off the Uber app completely, long enough to get an accurate gauge on which is the more lucrative platform. The Uber volume is so high and seductive to most unknowing drivers, that if you're running them both side-by-side, your Uber app can be constantly pinging, while you might have to sit and wait a few minutes in between rides for Lyft to ping. And since you have to log out of the Lyft app to accept an Uber ride (or run the risk of keeping them both live and then cancelling if you're in a "double dip" situation)....the increase in ping volume effectively allows Uber to decrease Lyft's supply.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
First, this isn't "illegal". I don't even think either company has any rules against it. You're an Independent Contractor, so you go do what suits you. My intention, if I can ever get my Mentor session out of the way, is to run both and treat it like a first-come, first-served situation. Lyft ping, go offline from Uber. Uber ping, go offline from Lyft. Once the ride is complete, back online for both until the next ping. Lather, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't worry about which is busier. It only matters if they're pinging me anyway, so take what comes your way and run with it, I say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So this is by no means "scientific" and has a ridiculously small sample size...but got my first daily summary from Lyft after trying it out exclusively for a few hours yesterday.... 3 of the 5 rides I gave yesterday added a tip on after the fact. So the net result ended up being the tips nearly wiped out all of the Lyft fees from the total fare. My net was $45.62 on $47 in total fees.

This might be a case where it's in the driver's best interest to promote Lyft as much as possible. I'm not advocating handing out Lyft codes to Uber riders (although somehow it wouldn't surprise me if some of you guys/gals on here did) ;), but through whatever channels are at your disposal...promote Lyft. Currently its is a "Bigger vs. Better" argument, and unfortunately, "bigger" is winning despite Lyft seemingly being a slightly more driver friendly model.
I agree. My net results are the same with Lyft. A simple tipping option allows them to take there percentage and I earn it back with good customer service. A win win ! Hopefully Google or Apple will create an app one day to take all of Ubers market share and all the drivers can leave Uber for better treatment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
First, this isn't "illegal". I don't even think either company has any rules against it. You're an Independent Contractor, so you go do what suits you. My intention, if I can ever get my Mentor session out of the way, is to run both and treat it like a first-come, first-served situation. Lyft ping, go offline from Uber. Uber ping, go offline from Lyft. Once the ride is complete, back online for both until the next ping. Lather, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't worry about which is busier. It only matters if they're pinging me anyway, so take what comes your way and run with it, I say.
That's exactly what I do; run both at the same time, and once I get a ping from one, I quickly go offline on the other.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been on Lyft for a week now (uber 3months). I've been on both all week long , uber select only mode, and than lyft. Been logged onto both for about 47 hrs. I have had 27 select rides, 2 lyft rides.

27 not including pings I let go with uber

2 rides on lyft including 0 pings I let go because I have not let any go.

I work out of the Aurora area

BTW, both lyft riders tipped. Nice people, wish there were more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts