Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove all of last season. Below are a few tips. I do not drive anymore because there are too many drivers. I could easily make $2,000 over a football weekend. Game days were surging 24/7. Many, many trips were made with surges over 7. I could go from 10 am to 4 am without a single pause. As soon as someone was dropped of I got an instant ping. Not anymore. Everything changed December 31, 2014 when I spent more time sitting than driving. There was an Uber driver on every corner. It's just my opinion, but... It doesn't make financial sense for me to drive unless there is a decent surge AND I am constantly driving. If you are driving (XL especially) without a surge you are losing money. It's easy to underestimate the wear and tear to your car and the value that you are losing adding all of those miles. It is also very risky in regards to insurance.... but that's a subject for a different thread. I also had a few trips that were scary. I was held at knifepoint after picking someone up at 3 a.m. on Third Street. Be careful out there!

- If you try to go back to campus after the game you are going to get stuck. Your night will be over. I got caught doing that twice. Once you leave your staging area with riders stay away from campus until well after the game has ended (2 hours or so).

- For the most rides and money shuttle people from downtown hotels to the stadium via Highland or Nicholson. Take them as far as you the police will allow, drop them off, then u-turn back to downtown. This was easy and quick all of the way up until the start of the game. Traffic will eventually back up and you will want to drop your passengers off and let them walk the rest of the way (it's not too far). I wouldn't sit. Your losing money. Drop them off and head back.

- Burbank is another fast and easy way on and out.

- I always had better luck staging on the South side (around Walk-ons) for pick-ups. It's easy to get out via Burbank.

- ALWAYS call and ask your riders where they are going after the game. You don't want to pick someone up at Walk-ons and get asked to drive them to the north side of campus. It is just not going to happen.

- I was stopped by police twice when I had too many people in the car leaving the game. I was XL and I was exceeding the number of seat belts in my car (by a lot). See below.

- I got into an accident while driving 6 passengers. No one was hurt. But, I could have been destroyed if someone had gotten hurt and decided to sue me. Uber is not going to protect you when you are breaking Uber rules and the law.

- For good fan traveling teams (Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc...) hotels are a great place to stage all throughout the weekend.

- Sunday morning after the game is great for getting people to their cars at the stadium, bars or wherever.

- Get to know the RV parking lots. People will ask to get picked up and dropped off there and it can get very, very confusing.

- After you drop someone off at the game turn your app off. You don't want to get a ping from a student wanting to go from their dorm to Subway. Get out of the area and turn it on then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wish I had read these tips before. I had 3 rides. All just wanting to get across campus. Basically stuck until they just gave up and got out and walked. Felt bad but there was nothing I could do

1 - 4 of 4 Posts