Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Atleast we can change GMB by becoming its members and speak up loudly in GMB meetings. GMB is a democratic union and when more minicab drivers will join it than GMB will think to change its attitude towards us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find it hard to build consensus here but let's try. Let's not get hung up on GMB or branch leadership. The important thing is what do we need and do we need to organise to get it?

Some here don't believe we need workers rights.

I think probably more of us agree that some of the proposed restrictions on PH drivers in the draft consultation go too far. We might agree LPHA needs to be confronted on some of the proposals they make like limiting drivers to one operator etc?

So ... Tell me , what do we need and do we need to organise? If we do need to organise then how/where?

For what it's worth I think GMB is a strong national platform and that can be very helpful. If you don't like the current branch leadership there are only two options: stay away and lose the chance to organise within GMB machine or hold your nose, join and change things from inside. I'm often conflicted myself.

For certain we are weaker unorganised.

·
Registered
977 Posts
POST # 1/UberLondonDriver: Bostonian
Bison Thanks You
for this Hyperlink to uld.com. What a
Resource for The Colonists to practice
AutoDidactism. Well-done, Sir!

Bison Admires.
Bison Inspires!
To be honest.
Few months ago i though you are "automatic replyer", but you are for real ^_^
Have inside your head i wish to see(no offence!) :)
Let's strike Dark force one more time ! WoOp wOop ! haha

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
To be honest.
Few months ago i though you are "automatic replyer", but you are for real ^_^
Have inside your head i wish to see(no offence!) :)
Let's strike Dark force one more time ! WoOp wOop ! haha
POST # 11/igor l: A simple click on
my Avatar reveals
Profile Page with a Membership
Starting on Pearl Harbor Day 2014,
the 73rd Anniversary of the Date
"...that will live in INFAMY!"

You're to be regarded as knuckle-
headed as those Posters that NEVER
check to see if they are Addressing
a Man or Woman !

Earth Bison to Spacey Yoda:
Pay attention, please.
Your "force" is waning.

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
I find it hard to build consensus here but let's try. Let's not get hung up on GMB or branch leadership. The important thing is what do we need and do we need to organise to get it?

Some here don't believe we need workers rights.

I think probably more of us agree that some of the proposed restrictions on PH drivers in the draft consultation go too far. We might agree LPHA needs to be confronted on some of the proposals they make like limiting drivers to one operator etc?

So ... Tell me , what do we need and do we need to organise? If we do need to organise then how/where?

For what it's worth I think GMB is a strong national platform and that can be very helpful. If you don't like the current branch leadership there are only two options: stay away and lose the chance to organise within GMB machine or hold your nose, join and change things from inside. I'm often conflicted myself.

For certain we are weaker unorganised.
Are you aware that LPHCA registered office was, actually it may still be, is on William Road?

It is no coincidence that is the road which is almost completely owned by Addison Lee.

The linking of the PH Lic to one Operator at a time was something the LPHCA pushed for from the start of the PH driver licensing introduction.

The LPHCA is not have the interests of Operators at heart, they do not in any way represent drivers or the needs of drivers or attempt to improve drivers T&C's.

The GMB ProDrivers section is now sadly closely aligned with the LPHCA.

The GMB ProDrivers section has a Black Cab driver in the mix at a high level which must have an impact on the aims of GMB PD. There is a strong anti Uber bias at the GMB.

One Operator that has seen revenues decline after the introduction of Uber is Addison Lee.

Addison Lee have been planning their expansion outside of London for many years, Uber have now got in before them.

My defence of Uber is primarily due to the flexibility it gives PH drivers for the first time, the ability to use an Operator as and when they need it allowing them to try and build their own business.

GMB ProDrivers have been lobbying Politicians for a while now and Steve Garlick would appear to have a deep seated hatred of Uber.

GMB ProDrivers should only be interested in drivers welfare imho. But now deals are being done behind closed doors and things are becoming political.

By staying inside the GMB and trying to change things will merely get you on certain peoples shit list. A long standing AL ViP driver issues in this very situation. If you follow Twitter you may know who he is.

Personally I have now left GMB and shall be explaining in writing why I have done so.

A Union is there to represent the members not the people working for the Union. Anything in more detail will be in writing.

It is funny how whenever I pulled up GMB on their anti Uber tweets I got a phone call soon after.

Though UberX rates could be better they are still better than many, and they don't suffer from the "Long Distance Minimum" of many large Operators. A £6:50 min fare may well be more than £5 (or whatever the UberX min fare is now) but do you have to travel 3miles for it? Regardless of how long it takes?

Most people have an ulterior motive in life. Usually relating to financial gain, status or power.

The trick is finding out where they stand.

Personally I have nothing to gain, I never asked for anything from the advice and support I gave Uber.

I didn't want to be the only Owner Driver at a Company Car only Operator.

I don't want to protect my own business and consider Uber a threat.

I don't have vested interests to protect.

I have no interest in going on Union sponsored jollies.

I never really had much interest in PH other than to put food on the table and pay my bills to be honest.

It seems to be a common occurance in London for Union Reps to eventually do things in their own interests, it seems almost inevitable.

I first noticed this with Unison and I now see the similarities with GMB ProDrivers.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
[email protected]# off knob! Your posts are so annoying. If you have nothing normal to say just keep your mouth shut you bellend
POST # 16/Dilk: Ooooooooo ! A Glans
Fetishist. Why
not do what Emperor @$$hat does and
stick it "where the sun don't shine".
Up his Ayn Randian-scented posterior.
I'm sure he's got room for "company".

As Graham Chapman once barked at
Your Kind: "Shut your festering gob, you
tit! You really make me puke, you vacuous,
coffee-nosed, malodorous pervert."

Bison Chortling!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you aware that LPHCA registered office was, actually it may still be, is on William Road?

It is no coincidence that is the road which is almost completely owned by Addison Lee.

The linking of the PH Lic to one Operator at a time was something the LPHCA pushed for from the start of the PH driver licensing introduction.

The LPHCA is not have the interests of Operators at heart, they do not in any way represent drivers or the needs of drivers or attempt to improve drivers T&C's.

The GMB ProDrivers section is now sadly closely aligned with the LPHCA.

The GMB ProDrivers section has a Black Cab driver in the mix at a high level which must have an impact on the aims of GMB PD. There is a strong anti Uber bias at the GMB.

One Operator that has seen revenues decline after the introduction of Uber is Addison Lee.

Addison Lee have been planning their expansion outside of London for many years, Uber have now got in before them.

My defence of Uber is primarily due to the flexibility it gives PH drivers for the first time, the ability to use an Operator as and when they need it allowing them to try and build their own business.

GMB ProDrivers have been lobbying Politicians for a while now and Steve Garlick would appear to have a deep seated hatred of Uber.

GMB ProDrivers should only be interested in drivers welfare imho. But now deals are being done behind closed doors and things are becoming political.

By staying inside the GMB and trying to change things will merely get you on certain peoples shit list. A long standing AL ViP driver issues in this very situation. If you follow Twitter you may know who he is.

Personally I have now left GMB and shall be explaining in writing why I have done so.

A Union is there to represent the members not the people working for the Union. Anything in more detail will be in writing.

It is funny how whenever I pulled up GMB on their anti Uber tweets I got a phone call soon after.

Though UberX rates could be better they are still better than many, and they don't suffer from the "Long Distance Minimum" of many large Operators. A £6:50 min fare may well be more than £5 (or whatever the UberX min fare is now) but do you have to travel 3miles for it? Regardless of how long it takes?

Most people have an ulterior motive in life. Usually relating to financial gain, status or power.

The trick is finding out where they stand.

Personally I have nothing to gain, I never asked for anything from the advice and support I gave Uber.

I didn't want to be the only Owner Driver at a Company Car only Operator.

I don't want to protect my own business and consider Uber a threat.

I don't have vested interests to protect.

I have no interest in going on Union sponsored jollies.

I never really had much interest in PH other than to put food on the table and pay my bills to be honest.

It seems to be a common occurance in London for Union Reps to eventually do things in their own interests, it seems almost inevitable.

I first noticed this with Unison and I now see the similarities with GMB ProDrivers.
I've seen LPHCA trying to give impression when lobbying that they represent 15k drivers. That is very wrong , they have no mandate from drivers and should not give that false impression.

I agree GMB must only focus on driver welfare and not muddy the water.

I agree that Uber has given new freedoms for many drivers compared to abuse they may have had before. But we need Uber to work better for drivers so they can make a decent living on the platform. Prices are too low and there are / will be far too many PHV in London.

The way I see it LPHCA and BC trade have done a formidable job spreading disinformation and lobbying against our interests. We see the result of that in the draft TfL regs. We risk drivers being used in any compromise between Uber, TfL and BC trade. The restrictions will end up being loaded onto us.

For these reasons I feel PH drivers need to get active, get a voice and get a voice at the table. That voice cannot be compromised by any divided loyalties

I hope you do register your concerns, but stay and work for the changes you seek.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts