Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED rates here.
_________

Uber has announced significantly lower rates for TNC drivers in NYC-Suburbs (including LI) than they had previously been charging and are currently charging for NYC. What worse, Uber may be taking a significantly larger cut, above the current 25%, out of what riders pay. The "Booking fee" effectively increases the Uber cut, especially for short trips. The only good news is a 25 cent per minute charge for wait time after 2 minutes and the minimum fare is $7. Rates in all of NYC-Suburbs including Rockland, Westchester and Long Island appear to be the same.

IMPORTANT: Booking fare was increased July 8, 2017. Table updated July 10th
Rate is based on location of pickup-point, not your home city.

The Rockland/Westchester forum is discussing this at
https://uberpeople.net/threads/lower-rates-for-nyc-suburbs.179087/

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
remember these are pax rates, drivers get paid on a different scale. you can view rates on your partner dashboard. open the side menu and go to "rates". you will see that drivers get 3.50 for a min fare trip. i think thats insane. 3.50 for 20 minutes of driving and waiting. it cant last that way

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
remember these are pax rates, drivers get paid on a different scale. you can view rates on your partner dashboard. open the side menu and go to "rates". you will see that drivers get 3.50 for a min fare trip. i think thats insane. 3.50 for 20 minutes of driving and waiting. it cant last that way
You may be correct. I'd like to hear about the experience and pay of those who have actually picked up there. Screenshots of trip detail might be useful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll stick with my rates as an owner operator.... I have clients who will pay town car rates just to know it's me picking them up from long island.... not some tool getting his "side hustle".. not knowing where LGA is even if you pointed out the sign to him.

besidex.... I keep 100% of $100

f#@k Uber!!!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMPORTANT UPDATE: https://uberpeople.net/threads/2nd-car-for-tlc-drivers.179888/
I'll stick with my rates as an owner operator.... I have clients who will pay town car rates just to know it's me picking them up from long island.... not some tool getting his "side hustle".. not knowing where LGA is even if you pointed out the sign to him. besidex.... I keep 100% of $100. f#@k Uber!!!
While I applaud your success, it makes me wonder why you are on an Uber/RideShare drivers forum if you are not one yourself. Are you interested in more than trolling Uber drivers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMPORTANT UPDATE: https://uberpeople.net/threads/2nd-car-for-tlc-drivers.179888/

While I applaud your success, it makes me wonder why you are on an Uber/RideShare drivers forum if you are not one yourself. Are you interested in more than trolling Uber drivers?
Lol this dude said he has a job as teacher.
Then says he used to drive.
Now says he does drive.

I'm sure he does Uber in Long Island. Just bored with life so comes here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I know I'm a little late to the game here but I just started driving on Long Island and I'm very confused. I've been driving for Lyft for a few weeks and just got approved for Uber this week. Last night I did two short Uber trips. Both paid me $0.7042/mi and $0.1761/min. This is under what is listed above, and under what I can find on the Uber website. The partner website to see rates does not work for me.

You Receive
  • Base Fare
    $0.81
  • Distance (0.74 mi × $0.7042/mi)
    $0.52
  • Time (4.30 min × $0.1761/min)
    $0.76
  • Min Fare Supplement
    $1.57
  • Wait Time (0.3 min × $0.1761/min)
    $0.06
Total
$3.72

This was the breakdown for my fare. Can anyone explain?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, I know I'm a little late to the game here but I just started driving on Long Island and I'm very confused. I've been driving for Lyft for a few weeks and just got approved for Uber this week. Last night I did two short Uber trips. Both paid me $0.7042/mi and $0.1761/min. This is under what is listed above, and under what I can find on the Uber website. The partner website to see rates does not work for me. You Receive
  • Base Fare
    $0.81
  • Distance (0.74 mi × $0.7042/mi)
    $0.52
  • Time (4.30 min × $0.1761/min)
    $0.76
  • Min Fare Supplement
    $1.57
  • Wait Time (0.3 min × $0.1761/min)
    $0.06
Total $3.72 - This was the breakdown for my fare. Can anyone explain? Thank you,
Easy, the numbers in your post above are NET earnings, after the 30% Uber Cut taken out of the GROSS earnings displayed in the table in the first post. Example: $1.15 NYC-Suburbs Base-Fare (GROSS) - 30% Uber Cut = $0.81 (NET). Uber cut is only 20%-25% for drivers who started before June 2017.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Easy, the numbers in your post above are NET earnings, after the 30% Uber Cut taken out of the GROSS earnings displayed in the table in the first post. Example: $1.15 NYC-Suburbs Base-Fare (GROSS) - 30% Uber Cut = $0.81 (NET). Uber cut is only 20%-25% for older drivers.
Wow I didn't realize they took 30%, Lyft only takes 25%. The things they don't tell you... Thanks for your help. Guess I'll stick with Lyft > Uber.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I didn't realize they took 30%, Lyft only takes 25%. The things they don't tell you... Thanks for your help. Guess I'll stick with Lyft > Uber.
There's a LOT that both Uber and Lyft don't tell new drivers. While their "cut" may be 25% or 30%, when you add in the "booking fee", Uber often takes half the fare the rider pays! :( It gets worse when you research "Upfront Pricing" on this forum. Of course the biggest risk for new NYS drivers is gap auto insurance, more here. :mad:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dont get fooled. If LI is anything like NYC, all Lyft did is take the sales tax and black car fund surcharges out of the fare calculation. In other words, the "fare" that you get a cut from is smaller than the "fare" which uber takes 30% from. YOUR EARNINGS ON LYFT WILL BE THE SAME. As a general rule, be prepared to be fooled by Lyft on a whole bunch of things, much more so than uber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dont get fooled. If LI is anything like NYC, all Lyft did is take the sales tax and black car fund surcharges out of the fare calculation. In other words, the "fare" that you get a cut from is smaller than the "fare" which uber takes 30% from. YOUR EARNINGS ON LYFT WILL BE THE SAME. As a general rule, be prepared to be fooled by Lyft on a whole bunch of things, much more so than uber.
Like what? So far the minimum is way better on lyft (5.25 compare to like 3.50 on uber I actually don't know what Uber's is but I had one around 3.50 and I couldn't believe it was so low).

The uber app is so much better though. And I love the set destination and time feature. It basically stops me from getting LI to manhattan trips completely which is amazing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like what? So far the minimum is way better on lyft (5.25 compare to like 3.50 on uber I actually don't know what Uber's is but I had one around 3.50 and I couldn't believe it was so low).

The uber app is so much better though. And I love the set destination and time feature. It basically stops me from getting LI to manhattan trips completely which is amazing.
You can also set destination with Lyft but without time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is very good to know, although I still find it hard to believe. Are you sure the 5.25 is after Lyft's cut? Have you taken the time to view the trip in your trip history after it's finished?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For you guys in western nassau that dont benefit from the 45 min warning and dont want city bound fares. Simply set d.f. to hamptons. Once you are safely 20 miles east of the queens border you will know by the 45 min warning that the ride is city bound

1 - 20 of 34 Posts