Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys handle a lost item? Last night somebody left their new IPhone in my car. Today they contact me to meet up, but do I get compensated for it, or do I meet up out of the goodness of my heart? Not really trying to be a dick, just hate to waste gas money and time sitting in traffic to return it.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
How do you guys handle a lost item? Last night somebody left their new IPhone in my car. Today they contact me to meet up, but do I get compensated for it, or do I meet up out of the goodness of my heart? Not really trying to be a &%[email protected]!*, just hate to waste gas money and time sitting in traffic to return it.

Thoughts?
Both Uber and Lyft will pay for a returned item but you have to request it.

My decision is based on how the person who lost their item treats me when we speak. If they demand I return it to their home as soon as possible, I give them the option of ordering a ride from exactly where I am to their home (only during slow times) so they are charged a trip cost and a return fee. If they are nice and apologetic, I usually give them options. I sometimes leave it at a police station because to me that is protection against the passenger claiming I kept an item. I sometimes drop it off if I am nearby to them. Don't expect a tip, because if you do, you will sometimes end up disappointed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ihateyou said it while I was typing it. Make sure you report that you found the lost item in the app to get your compensation for returning it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Didn't even know there was a fee. I just submitted it. At least I'll get the $15. Not gonna expect a tip at all, so it's something.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Are police stations officially set up, or willing, to accept lost items from rideshare drivers?

For Boston taxis, we must return it to police headquarters ASAP...possibly out of our way, especially if at shift change. We then get a receipt. If the pax is dropped in Providence, they'll need to pick it up in Boston. BUT...pax can only pickup during biz hours! If an item is lost at 5 pm on Friday, and if it's a Monday holiday, one must wait until Tuesday at 9 am! I don't even believe taxi dispatchers warn pax that the pickup hours are restricted, so they likely dash to a somewhat "dangerous" area to them at Schroeder Plaza, just to be told come back during business hours!

But I can't believe all police stations statewide are willing or set up to accept rideshare items. They'd need a storage area and extra staff to accomplish this.

Anybody have issues with dropping items at just any police station in New England? Will they cheerfully accept them? Do they issue an official receipt? I doubt it, as they likely aren't set up for that at just any police station.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Are police stations officially set up, or willing, to accept lost items from rideshare drivers?
Yes, but be careful and get a police report.

I dropped off a phone and the girl had my account deactivated accusing me of stealing her phone. I had to go back and bring the report to Morrissey.

Once a pax left her purse and wallet in my car after a dropoff at Logan. She would've missed her flight if I brought it back so I mailed it to her and she paid me a tip through Venmo.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts

I dropped off a phone and the girl had my account deactivated accusing me of stealing her phone. I had to go back and bring the report to Morrissey.

Once a pax left her purse and wallet in my car after a dropoff at Logan. She would've missed her flight if I brought it back so I mailed it to her and she paid me a tip through Venmo.
I did drop a wallet with $150 at the Charlestown police station five years ago...I had picked up a guy there in the projects at night but told the police I didn't feel comfortable going back there again late night, so they did accept it and I assume returned it.

I had thought I could only return it to the main station but this situation proved otherwise....maybe only because it was a local pax and it had lots of cash would they accept it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I wonder how she got on the plane if you had her purse and wallet. She must have been holding her license/passport/ID in her hand.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I had it happened to me once before. Pax left her phone in my car,texted me I return it to her. It Was July 4th week last year so I decided to drop it off at nearby police station. Officer asked me as to what happened and I told them that I found a phone in a back seat and I simply don't have time to go back to pax. They took the phone, gave me a report with my story written in it. Cop said that would be a receipt for me in case of any discrepancy with Uber. 10 minutes later I got a text from pax saying pd contacted them and they are on their way to pick it up. Case closed.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I wonder how she got on the plane if you had her purse and wallet. She must have been holding her license/passport/ID in her hand.
She apparently had her ID in her pocket. I don't know how she could be so clueless. It was a bright red designer bag - easily worth a decent amount of money.

I didn't get a call from her until after I picked up a passenger in Belmont 30 minutes later who found the bag on the ground behind my seat. It was a Thursday or Friday, so back to Logan would mean around 2 hours wasted and she still might've missed her flight. I assumed with airline change fees being around $150+fare recalculation for most economy fares that mailing it would make more sense.

·
Registered
401 Posts
How do you guys handle a lost item? Last night somebody left their new IPhone in my car. Today they contact me to meet up, but do I get compensated for it, or do I meet up out of the goodness of my heart? Not really trying to be a &%[email protected]!*, just hate to waste gas money and time sitting in traffic to return it.

Thoughts?
of course you get compensated.. lyft/uber will pay you in bitcoin or eth

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Last Saturday I had a couple of college kids bf and gf, they were tipsy drunk, kind of obnoxious and annoying, asked me for an aux plug which I said I didn't have, then asked me to turn up the music which I did at my own level of volume, picked them up around 12am at ****, gf forgets her iphone in my backseat I didn't notice it until after 2 rides I gave later on, the other 2 riders must've sat on top of it, I noticed the phone until I heard a ding, at that point I wasn't sure whose phone was it so I kept it waiting for it to ring and then pick up and let them know I have it, they were drunk enough to not even realize they have lost their phone until next day Sunday, that's when I got their call, I did my best to arrange a time for me to meet them at a building in BC to return it, once I did the hung over / sobered up college girl handed me a $20 bill, there was no need to report it in the app.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I drove 30 minutes into downtown DC (when I was going the opposite direction to the beach for a few days). Nicely told pax it was out of my way. She met me curbside in front of her building. Only gave me $10 for her new iPhone. I then did the RETURNED LOST ITEM in the app & got another $15. My time is worth more than $10. Other times I’ve gotten $40 for phone & $25 for keys. I still have someones Cadillac FOB I reported as found...but not claimed. .

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The reason why I think you always do it through the app is to protect yourself and not get deactivated even for a false report. You do get $15. Maybe it should be more but I say always protect yourself first.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Thoughts?
Keep the phone on and bring it into your home. Wait for pax or police to show up. Wait for deactivation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts