Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for an Uber Jedi. I have lots of questions about driving for uber.

- Toronto car insurance, is personal okay? I read the story about the guy who got into the accident in Toronto. Hopefully uber makes good on this.

- is it possible to make $1000 a week after uber cut? Driving 40 to 60 hours per week?

- is downtown Toronto a must for the surge pricing on the weekends? Do you guys make good money on those hours?

- what types of car do you recommend for uberx - I am leaning towards a 4 cyl. Corolla, civic.

- do most of your fares get more than one passenger?

- do you use a third party GPS? I been reading the uber GPS directions is not great?

Would love to talk to someone.... dm me...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
- Toronto car insurance, is personal okay?
No.

I read the story about the guy who got into the accident in Toronto. Hopefully uber makes good on this.
Erm. Best case scenario is Uber will cover the insurance claim cost (I know, it sounds crazy, because his faut is 0%, but, ah well, insurance logic), but his insurance company just dropped him. So he will have to seek another one. And even if someone is willing to accept him, imagine hist insurance payments...

is it possible to make $1000 a week after uber cut?
Certainly! Current Uber per hour rate after all deductions is within $11-14 on average. So, you can work a 70 hours week to earn this. But remember - you have no insurance.

Driving 40 to 60 hours per week?
Absolutely! If you drive in 2x or more surge all the time, you can make it. That's unrealistic though.

is downtown Toronto a must for the surge pricing on the weekends?
No.

Do you guys make good money on those hours?
No. But you must understand - no one makes good money with Uber. Although it depends on what you consider "good money". For me "good money" is $40+ per hour after all deductions for transporting passengers in Toronto traffic from pickup to destination. It is a stressful job that requires a lot of attention and skills. With Uber it's unrealistic.

what types of car do you recommend for uberx
Any car that you have and that is eligible for UberX. Buying a car for Uber? Big no-no.

do most of your fares get more than one passenger?
Sorry, I don't understand the question.

do you use a third party GPS?
You can, but why? Everything is good in your smartphone.

I been reading the uber GPS directions is not great?
You can use Waze or whatever.

Bottom line - Uber no!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Going to agree with these guys. Uber is not something you go buy a car for, it's too risky to operate as a primary income right now (and even once the insurance and bylaw matters are clarified, which, for me will probably be by January) that may only put more drivers on the scene and drive earnings even lower. Don't get into some kind of financing term buying a car thinking this is a job. All of the uber drivers I've met have regular day jobs and are just driving for Uber for fun/novelty in the evenings or on the weekends for a bit of extra cash (but more for the fun than the cash as their day jobs pay multiples more) - this is true for me also. I'm just doing the occasional trip to keep my account active until things are straightened. Most calculations seem to indicate you can only expect about minimum wage overall (but your occasional big hit trips will cloud your vision on this likely).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for an Uber Jedi. I have lots of questions about driving for uber.

- Toronto car insurance, is personal okay? I read the story about the guy who got into the accident in Toronto. Hopefully uber makes good on this.

- is it possible to make $1000 a week after uber cut? Driving 40 to 60 hours per week?

- is downtown Toronto a must for the surge pricing on the weekends? Do you guys make good money on those hours?

- what types of car do you recommend for uberx - I am leaning towards a 4 cyl. Corolla, civic.

- do most of your fares get more than one passenger?

- do you use a third party GPS? I been reading the uber GPS directions is not great?

Would love to talk to someone.... dm me...

Thanks
Personal insurance ok to drive /uber dont cover shit
To many drivers your commission split is too high for 1000 go for 800 48 hours very expiernced drivers with the 20% split cant even make that under current system
Yes downtown is good during weekends and rush hours can surge those times,peak hours are your bread & butter
Cars prius, honda insight,civic hybrid,corolla spend $5000 TO $10000
Rarely get four pax so the small car will do just fine
Tools you need Garmin,dash cam,cell phone
Only talk to brunettes with big **** ha ha ha good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if shitinpool is serious, but better to disregard his reply and go with biozon's answer:
  • Driving under your personal insurance policy is NOT ok. If something happens, you're f**ked. People keep driving for Uber in Ontario because they haven't driven long enough for Uber to realize what a poor financial decision it is to do.
  • Spend $5-10k on a car because you want to be an Uber driver? Makes me think he is trolling. But if you have a hybrid already, obviously it'll be better on gas.
  • Garmin is unnecessary. The driver app has built-in navigation.
Anyway... who cares. The usual advice for new drivers is, "don't start."

There's a fair bit of personal risk involved. It can definitely fun to play the game though. I drive only occasionally now during surge times, but it's mad to drive Uber full-time as a regular person with your personal car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I made $90 in 5 hours driving for a designated driving company this past Friday night. I'm told drivers made $150 on Saturday. Driving in customers cars, with another driver following you in a chase car. So no insurance problems. Cooperation from the cops, not hassles from them. Check that out. I could "make" more with Uber but when you count in the wear and tear and insurance risk.... well you know the answer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't know if shitinpool is serious, but better to disregard his reply and go with biozon's answer:
  • Driving under your personal insurance policy is NOT ok. If something happens, you're f**ked. People keep driving for Uber in Ontario because they haven't driven long enough for Uber to realize what a poor financial decision it is to do.
  • Spend $5-10k on a car because you want to be an Uber driver? Makes me think he is trolling. But if you have a hybrid already, obviously it'll be better on gas.
  • Garmin is unnecessary. The driver app has built-in navigation.
Anyway... who cares. The usual advice for new drivers is, "don't start."

There's a fair bit of personal risk involved. It can definitely fun to play the game though. I drive only occasionally now during surge times, but it's mad to drive Uber full-time as a regular person with your personal car.
First of all buddie what happens when uber navigaions goes down and you cannot find your pax,garmin is a must
Secondly the guy did not ask you whether or not to drive uber he has made up his mind to drive
Trolling really the driver has asked what car would be good for uber i replied.Only one trolling is you who gave no answer to any of his questions
The bottom line is people are driving uber and need logical answer to the questions they ask.
Lastly just because you have failed at driving uber does not mean he will to i make decent money driving and i hope he does to

·
Registered
20 Posts
First of all buddie what happens when uber navigaions goes down and you cannot find your pax,garmin is a must
Secondly the guy did not ask you whether or not to drive uber he has made up his mind to drive
Trolling really the driver has asked what car would be good for uber i replied.Only one trolling is you who gave no answer to any of his questions
The bottom line is people are driving uber and need logical answer to the questions they ask.
Lastly just because you have failed at driving uber does not mean he will to i make decent money driving and i hope he does to
Yeah I was a bit of a dick. I apologize. I don't agree with you about some of that (Garmin definitely seems like overkill, unless you're using a flaky or low-end Android, but if you're going to buy a new gadget to compensate, just upgrade your phone instead.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I believe Uber will solve the insurance problem in the next month or two. I would hold off until then. Apparently there is an announcement coming soon (based in something I read dated Aug 7)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts