Premium Member
557 Posts

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So disturbing how low our expectations are for public works projects:
http://www.wbur.org/morningedition/2016/09/15/longfellow-bridge-delay

"A massive overhaul that began in 2013 was originally expected to wrap up this year. "

So it is only 5 years delayed.
Um, 2018-2016 equals 5. Uber driver math.

Anyway the reason why it took so long is cause they tried to make it "historically accurate" so they had to use construction techniques (aka riveting) that haven't been used in a long time.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
So I don't understand what that Frances Appleton pedestrian bridge from the esplanade to Charles Circle accomplishes. The story said it's not completed yet.

Don't we still have the pedestrian bridge that's always been there in front of the John Jeffries house accommodations, near the MBTA station? So we'll have two pedestrian bridges in close proximity? What was wrong with the current pedestrian bridge?

Now, we can breathlessly await the Northern Avenue bridge (shouldn't impact traffic at all since no cars have used it in years) and the Charlestown bridge constructions.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The Charleston bridge construction might be the straw that breaks the Camel’s back.

Imagine it’s 11pm at night. Your doing a Logan run to Woburn. 93N is down to 1 lane thanks to construction and the Charleston Bridge is closed.

Shoot Me.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
So I don't understand what that Frances Appleton pedestrian bridge from the esplanade to Charles Circle accomplishes. The story said it's not completed yet.

Don't we still have the pedestrian bridge that's always been there in front of the John Jeffries house accommodations, near the MBTA station? So we'll have two pedestrian bridges in close proximity? What was wrong with the current pedestrian bridge?

Now, we can breathlessly await the Northern Avenue bridge (shouldn't impact traffic at all since no cars have used it in years) and the Charlestown bridge constructions.
Gives another route other than the Fiedler footbridge, which is crumbling and can't handle weight. During 4th of July there are police officers on it to stop people from standing on it so it doesn't get overloaded.

I'm guessing the new one could support a herd of elephants with that steel tube.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Um, 2018-2016 equals 5. Uber driver math.

Anyway the reason why it took so long is cause they tried to make it "historically accurate" so they had to use construction techniques (aka riveting) that haven't been used in a long time.
From what I heard, the contractor nearly went bankrupt b/c he underbid not really understanding the added cost of a RESTORATION PROJECT language.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts