Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We know that, if you can get there, the Hamptons, the eastern end of Long Island has the best rates, but is only busy during the summer. The other two zones, Suffolk County (central) & Nassau county (western) share the same rates. Both are part of Uber's NYC-Suburbs along with Westchester county and Rockland county. Rates are here.

$17 surcharge on the North Ferry to Shelter Island. $14 surcharge on the South Ferry to Shelter Island.

General suggestions here, but please reply with your local comments and observations to THIS thread. Sharing your personal experience on when and where will works best and what to avoid will benefit fellow drivers. Hopefully, they will repay the favor by sharing what they learn. Please give specifics, what did you find profitable, or not?

Related threads:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
We know that, if you can get there, the Hamptons, the eastern end of Long Island has the best rates. The other two zones, Suffolk County (central) & Nassau county (western) share the same rates. Both are part of Uber's NYC-Suburbs along with Westchester county and Rockland county. Rates are here.

General suggestions here, but please reply with your local comments and observations to THIS thread. Sharing your personal experience on when and where will works best and what to avoid will benefit fellow drivers. Hopefully, they will repay the favor by sharing what they learn. Please give specifics, what did you find profitable, or not?

Related threads:
HAMPTIONS ARE DEAD you will have to wait until next summer if you haven't given up by then

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi -

After driving with Uber / Lyft for over 3 months, here is my view on the best places / times to work if you are on Long Island, and don't have NYC TLC status. I think the realistic goal for anyone is at least earning $20 per hour, $1 per total mile driven (includes in between rides). Anything less than that I don't think it's worth your time, you should be doing another job which is more productive to the community while compensating you more fairly.

I have Uber and Lyft on at the same time. I prefer Lyft as they pay us more and users tip more but there is just simply not enough volume so I have to take Uber as well. Although I have experimented with Lyft only and it seems to be a lot better metrics in terms of $ / mileage. If you need to choose rides going into the city, take a Lyft passenger and decline Uber rides into the city, that way you can recoup some of the cost to drive back to LI. I need to do further experimentation to see if it's worth my time to use Lyft exclusively.

Summary of my setup currently in Fall 2017:
Monday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Tuesday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Wednesday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Thursday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Friday: I do not work, dead after Summer.
Saturday: 4pm-8pm around my house, 8pm-4am in Rockville Center, Huntington Areas
Sunday: 4pm - 9pm around my house.

Seasonal:
Summer - was a lot more busy than it is now / after Labor Day. This makes sense as people are not traveling as much / college kids are away / kids are back in school. Fridays were good in the summer but since Labor Day it has been absolutely dead, earning about $5 hour and $0.60 / mile driven.

Monday early early mornings: 4-6am - are busy also as there seems to be a lot people traveling to an from the airport - but if you don't have TLC it may be a pain to drive LGA / JFK.
Monday through Friday mornings: 6-9am -You can get about $15 per hour in this window.

UberEATS Monday through Thursday evenings in Queens: 5pm - 9pm - I noticed after I drove someone to the airport I kept on getting
UberEATS requests driving back from Queens. Normally I wouldn't accept them on the weekends when I work most because I felt it wasn't worth my time, but it was slow this time on the weekday evening so I figured what the hell let me deliver one meal. Well I delivered that one then noticed I got another request, and another, one right after the next like it was a busy Saturday night. Here I'm earning around $15-20 an hour, $4.70 per mile driven since the distances are so short. So the mileage is great, although I it's a bit more labor intensive and you are probably putting more stress on your brakes since in NYC. But get this, this is NOT including tips. I find UberEATS tips are the most both in frequency (maybe half the trips at least) as well as value (I've had people tip me $10 a few times). This may be the best kept secret in the Uber / LI world.

Fridays - I don't work. Again I used to work when it was busy in the Summer, but since then it's been dead, surprisingly dead. Like, its more dead than the weekdays for some reason. Maybe low demand with too many drivers? The last time I worked a Friday I worked 10 hours and only made $60!

Saturdays - I don't do 11am - 2pm even though it's surge for UberEATS. Things pick up around 3 or 4 for me, from then to around 9pm a lot of groups want to go out to dinner and drink so they need to get an Uber / Lyft ride. They tend to tip well also. After that I try to make my way to Rockville Center or Huntington Areas to do the designated driver runs. There is a lot of volume of drinkers needing rides to and from the bars, and it's good because a lot of it is quick short rides which seems to be better than fewer, long rides.

Sunday - afternoons / evenings around 3pm - 9pm I work, as there are people needing rides to and from the train stations. Sometimes people need rides into the city, which are pain because of the no revenue drive backs, but I take them most of the time anyways since we don't see where the person is going until they get in the car.

I never tried to drive in the Hamptons in the Summer (well I did try but when I got out there I didn't have any phone signal so I had to drive back LOL), but based off some of the numbers I saw it didn't seem worth the ride out there. Unless you live out there the action is just as good where I am located in Nassau.

That's basically it. I have other ventures but when I am not busy with that, the above table is basically my go to setup. I'll earn anywhere between $500 - $700 a week now depending on how many hours I work. Again not money I'm gonna retire off of but honestly given the complaints I see from people on this board not sure what people are expecting from a menial labor job. Can't see how or why you would get more better than that. This is basically a net $10 - $12 / hour job after expenses that you can do whenever you want. Not many gigs like that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi -

After driving with Uber / Lyft for over 3 months, here is my view on the best places / times to work if you are on Long Island, and don't have NYC TLC status. I think the realistic goal for anyone is at least earning $20 per hour, $1 per total mile driven (includes in between rides). Anything less than that I don't think it's worth your time, you should be doing another job which is more productive to the community while compensating you more fairly.

I have Uber and Lyft on at the same time. I prefer Lyft as they pay us more and users tip more but there is just simply not enough volume so I have to take Uber as well. Although I have experimented with Lyft only and it seems to be a lot better metrics in terms of $ / mileage. If you need to choose rides going into the city, take a Lyft passenger and decline Uber rides into the city, that way you can recoup some of the cost to drive back to LI. I need to do further experimentation to see if it's worth my time to use Lyft exclusively.

Summary of my setup currently in Fall 2017:
Monday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Tuesday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Wednesday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Thursday: 6-9am around my home, 6-9pm UberEATS in Queens
Friday: I do not work, dead after Summer.
Saturday: 4pm-8pm around my house, 8pm-4am in Rockville Center, Huntington Areas
Sunday: 4pm - 9pm around my house.

Seasonal:
Summer - was a lot more busy than it is now / after Labor Day. This makes sense as people are not traveling as much / college kids are away / kids are back in school. Fridays were good in the summer but since Labor Day it has been absolutely dead, earning about $5 hour and $0.60 / mile driven.

Monday early early mornings: 4-6am - are busy also as there seems to be a lot people traveling to an from the airport - but if you don't have TLC it may be a pain to drive LGA / JFK.
Monday through Friday mornings: 6-9am -You can get about $15 per hour in this window.

UberEATS Monday through Thursday evenings in Queens: 5pm - 9pm - I noticed after I drove someone to the airport I kept on getting
UberEATS requests driving back from Queens. Normally I wouldn't accept them on the weekends when I work most because I felt it wasn't worth my time, but it was slow this time on the weekday evening so I figured what the hell let me deliver one meal. Well I delivered that one then noticed I got another request, and another, one right after the next like it was a busy Saturday night. Here I'm earning around $15-20 an hour, $4.70 per mile driven since the distances are so short. So the mileage is great, although I it's a bit more labor intensive and you are probably putting more stress on your brakes since in NYC. But get this, this is NOT including tips. I find UberEATS tips are the most both in frequency (maybe half the trips at least) as well as value (I've had people tip me $10 a few times). This may be the best kept secret in the Uber / LI world.

Fridays - I don't work. Again I used to work when it was busy in the Summer, but since then it's been dead, surprisingly dead. Like, its more dead than the weekdays for some reason. Maybe low demand with too many drivers? The last time I worked a Friday I worked 10 hours and only made $60!

Saturdays - I don't do 11am - 2pm even though it's surge for UberEATS. Things pick up around 3 or 4 for me, from then to around 9pm a lot of groups want to go out to dinner and drink so they need to get an Uber / Lyft ride. They tend to tip well also. After that I try to make my way to Rockville Center or Huntington Areas to do the designated driver runs. There is a lot of volume of drinkers needing rides to and from the bars, and it's good because a lot of it is quick short rides which seems to be better than fewer, long rides.

Sunday - afternoons / evenings around 3pm - 9pm I work, as there are people needing rides to and from the train stations. Sometimes people need rides into the city, which are pain because of the no revenue drive backs, but I take them most of the time anyways since we don't see where the person is going until they get in the car.

I never tried to drive in the Hamptons in the Summer (well I did try but when I got out there I didn't have any phone signal so I had to drive back LOL), but based off some of the numbers I saw it didn't seem worth the ride out there. Unless you live out there the action is just as good where I am located in Nassau.

That's basically it. I have other ventures but when I am not busy with that, the above table is basically my go to setup. I'll earn anywhere between $500 - $700 a week now depending on how many hours I work. Again not money I'm gonna retire off of but honestly given the complaints I see from people on this board not sure what people are expecting from a menial labor job. Can't see how or why you would get more better than that. This is basically a net $10 - $12 / hour job after expenses that you can do whenever you want. Not many gigs like that.
I think it's more like $8-$10 per hr but you destroy your car to many miles very few tips you can make more delivering pizza

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes I think certain newbie posters are actually Uber employees trying to "set the tone" or "lower the bar" to a certain expectation... sometimes.
You are a very cynical and suspicious person. :( I like that. I am too. :) However, in this particular case, it's the opposite of Uber's normal policy of raising expectations to an unrealistic degree. Why would an Uber spy (that I have no doubt exist on this forum) do that?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Why would Uber play mind games? Like introducing sneaky fare rate changes in their latest update that allow them to charge whatever they want while shortchanging the driver? Or fake surge clouds? Worthless promotions, stolen tips and surge rates...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would Uber play mind games? Like introducing sneaky fare rate changes in their latest update that allow them to charge whatever they want while shortchanging the driver? Or fake surge clouds? Worthless promotions, stolen tips and surge rates...
Uber plays mind games constantly using reams of heavily-analyzed behavioral-data compiled in many countries for years. Uber maximizes profits by manipulating both drivers and riders using a combination of boosts, surges, promotions, and Upfront Pricing. In addition, Uber does all the other stuff that you mentioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts