Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you get to a pickup and you're sure it's the correct address and there's a long driveway, but no sign of a PAX, do you go down it? If not, what do you do?
  • Call / Text the PAX
  • Wait 5 minutes then cancel
  • rev you engine, since we know that's always heard through walls and over long distances
  • wave your hands (or a bright orange flag) wildly hoping to be seen by the PAX not looking out the window
  • If you have a good arm, throw pebbles against the windows hoping to be noticed like a teenage boy in a movie
In SW Connecticut, there are a lot of rich folks with long driveways that expect to be picked up at their doorstep, while others have the courtesy to meet at the end of the driveway. Still others have small houses at the end of those long driveways that are a lot cheaper than the nearby mansions. I usually go down the driveway unless there's a lot of snow/ice on the ground or a reasonable suspicion that a troll is laying in wait.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Usually can't lose when driving to the pin. Always key in the address into the GPS Google Maps lets you preview the house and see exactly how it looks. Then I know what to look for as I am pulling up. I pull up in the driverway. The rider should know what car to look for. I use the Uber beacon in the back windshield and back up into the driveway so they can see the license plate. You want to identify yourself as best as possible. Never a long driveway for me, just the forever annoying gate processing. These riders know I can't get in. Now Uber is making it more difficult to cancel now.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hardly ever pull into driveways anymore. Many people do not, and should not, put their own address into the app. Especially females. Too many creepy people out there and you don't want them to know your actual address. I read a news store recently about an Uber driver who broke into the homes of his riders after taking them somewhere.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hardly ever pull into driveways anymore. Many people do not, and should not, put their own address into the app. Especially females. Too many creepy people out there and you don't want them to know your actual address. I read a news store recently about an Uber driver who broke into the homes of his riders after taking them somewhere.
Can't agree with you more. I see some women, even in gated communities, always wait outside the gate. They also never want to get dropped off directly in front of their home address either. They get dropped off and walk down a little bit. That's why you have home security systems. Neighbors could be watching you leave your house too, not just Uber drivers. Being an Uber driver carries a negative connotation, because of those other drivers. Riders also compare you to their last driver. People request Ubers to their house all the time. I try to back up the car so they see the logo and license plate to identify. I pull up when doing UberEATS.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can't agree with you more. I see some women, even in gated communities, always wait outside the gate. They also never want to get dropped off directly in front of their home address either. They get dropped off and walk down a little bit. That's why you have home security systems. Neighbors could be watching you leave your house too, not just Uber drivers. Being an Uber driver carries a negative connotation, because of those other drivers. Riders also compare you to their last driver. People request Ubers to their house all the time. I try to back up the car so they see the logo and license plate to identify. I pull up when doing UberEATS.
This is why real taxi drivers are heavily vetted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts