Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today with one of my Uber rides, I dropped off a passengers friend on the way to her location as a favor. Then she asked me if I had gum. Gave her some. She talked about how she wants the cheapest rides possible. And I had to put up with that. And then of course no tips. Wouldn't even be surprised if I got a 4 star lol.

This type of behavior is unacceptable. And she wasn't a mean person by any stretch of the imagination. But just think about what Travis is doing to today's kids. Making them think it's okay to feel entitled and to be cheap without tipping.

This is not okay. I don't care if I'm an independent contractor. That lawsuit that Uber had to settle for the confusion regarding tips was something they could have avoided all together. Stupid..

And let's not act like Uber is the only corp that screws over its workers. It isn't, but this is not acceptable. I respect Lyft because it gets it right for the most part. A few caveats here and there, but what Uber is doing is deplorable. SHAME!!!!

I hate having to repeat myself. But you know I'm right. Let's do something! The only reason I didn't care before was because I thought that tips were included. Once my father's friend found out they weren't he flipped out! And no wonder! Because this is crap!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
So we should storm castle Travis and pee on his couch? Look I'm not in disagreement that Uber is a shitty company but our options (and someone correct me if I'm wrong or missing something) are to either continue driving, or attempt to sue. As many others have already stated, going on strike will simply cause us to be replaced within hours. So if you have some kind of plan, lets hear it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What exactly are you suggesting we do?
Well for one we shouldn't all just let them abuse us and lay there like a defeated dog.
DRider85,
All you have done is created a new thread covering the same old complaints that have been raised MANY times by MANY members for years.

Bean has asked you --what we should do.:)
Your response is --what we shouldn't do.:(

The section is called Advice.
You have not asked for advice nor raised any constructive suggestions.
Maybe you could have posted in the Complaints section.
Just my thoughts.;)
Font Rectangle Magenta Event Pattern

·
Registered
132 Posts
You should all boycott Uber and move over too lyft.
The main problem is getting everyone to follow you. Because you are all independent contractors you will always have those dumb people who would only see the short term gain of having less competitors for Uber fares i.e. Other Uber drivers.
Until you can either unionise or get organised as a group then you will continue to be absolutely walked over by Uber.
Remember that without you the drivers, Uber is nothing but an app with massive overheads. It has no fixed assets to draw on. You have the power.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The only reason I didn't care before was because I thought that tips were included. Once my father's friend found out they weren't he flipped out! And no wonder! Because this is crap!!!
I have always wondered, when people say they thought tips were included, from whence they thought the tips came?

Did they think there was a federal Uber tips fund from Washington which tacked a tip onto each and every fare?

Is there any industry which has subsidized tips, public or private? I mean, what the hell?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
So today with one of my Uber rides, I dropped off a passengers friend on the way to her location as a favor. Then she asked me if I had gum. Gave her some. She talked about how she wants the cheapest rides possible. And I had to put up with that. And then of course no tips. Wouldn't even be surprised if I got a 4 star lol.

This type of behavior is unacceptable. And she wasn't a mean person by any stretch of the imagination. But just think about what Travis is doing to today's kids. Making them think it's okay to feel entitled and to be cheap without tipping.!
A lot of people shop the bargain basement for a lot of things- that's why they have bargain basements. Uber is the bargain basement of transportation, the woman in question is exactly who Uber is designed to attract- someone who would have taken the bus but was sold on the idea that Uber can provide a lot more service for the same money.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What exactly are you suggesting we do?
I'm driving for lyft and giving out lyft cards and promoting lyft. They have a tip option (half don't use it of course since they come from
uber and have been brainwashed not to tip). That shows lyft kinda gives a damn about drivers a bit more than uber.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When a passenger starts talking about how they want the cheapest ride and they say they like Uber pool cuz it's the cheapest, what am i supposed to say back to them? Just seems they're being rude and too personal. Why can't they just take the ride and stop at that?

Some people have no manners and I will never agree with it. The young generation is messed up. When I do happen to get a cash tip from some younger people I feel grateful and proud of them for being human. Who taught them to not only not tip but engage in a conversation about how they love cheap rides and on top of that take your water and mints? It's bad etiquette. People these days are clueless and I blame Travis a lot for being deceiving.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd like to take a moment and thank you for "taking away" this type of passenger from us cab drivers. You now get to service the people we didn't want.
It's nice not having to deal with the cheapskates. :)
This is actually a very good point I hadn't thought of. Everyone knows Uber is taking a cut from the taxi's, but Which cut!? It would indeed make sense that it's the people wanting the cheapest ride. Perhaps we'll start to see a shift where Taxi's become a premiere service. Maybe without all the cheap, rude customers we'll start seeing less beat up cabs and they'll become favored by the upper class.
I don't know if that's all just a dream but it seems plausible. When Uber finally collapses in on itself maybe I'll switch to a yellow car..

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is actually a very good point I hadn't thought of. Everyone knows Uber is taking a cut from the taxi's, but Which cut!? It would indeed make sense that it's the people wanting the cheapest ride. Perhaps we'll start to see a shift where Taxi's become a premiere service. Maybe without all the cheap, rude customers we'll start seeing less beat up cabs and they'll become favored by the upper class.
I don't know if that's all just a dream but it seems plausible. When Uber finally collapses in on itself maybe I'll switch to a yellow car..
It works like that in my area. We have four firms, three good ones and one bad one, they run late and the cars are wrecks but because they a very slightly cheaper all the cheap, scruffy people use them.

It's great because we don't have them stinking our cars out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Options:

1. Speak your mind to every cheap-ass deadbeat and annoying customer. Rack up crap ratings. Change nothing.
2. Try to organize drivers, sue, be a professional agitator. Likely Change nothing.
3. Quit.
4. Put up with it, deal with the reality of this shit job on its own terms.

I suggest #3 or #4.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My friend doesn't understand. He told me that I just want a free handout. He says the fact he doesn't tip makes him take Uber over taxi. And that if he had to tip he'd just take a cab.

But my argument was that customers were misled into thinking a tip was included. That's my issue. Sure, lyft has a tip option and Uber does not. But it's Uber's fault when they made people think a tip was included.

There's a reason why most pax thinks a tip is included. It doesn't matter if Uber directly or indirectly caused this but the fact is that whatever it is they advertised somehow doesn't make pax understand the truth.

So my friend says that we should just do our job and stop acting like people on the streets begging for cash. He thinks we make good money and should just do our job and not expect a handout.

·
Premium Member
7,084 Posts
Why do you care what your customers think? Drive them from point A to point B and collect your fare. If they tip it's always a nice surprise. That's it.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why do you care what your customers think? Drive them from point A to point B and collect your fare. If they tip it's always a nice surprise. That's it.
Right and I have a card reader now but need to figure out how to make it visible at night.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts