Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course .90 cents a mile and .15 cents a minute are deplorable, but even passengers who would like to offset that with a Tip, can not. At least not with the ease of using an In-App Tip option.

Lyft has many of the same problems as Uber with low rates/per minute, etc.., but at least they have not lied to passengers about "Tip Is In The App."

If both Lyft and Uber have In-App tipping option, then the playing field would at least be leveled on that portion.

This is not a call to Strike, it's more of agreeing on a week that we all ONLY DRIVE LYFT.

Thoughts?

"In a recent blog post from its public policy team, Uber said that its creators considered building a tipping option into the app but ultimately decided against it "because we felt it would be better for riders and drivers to know for sure what they would pay or earn on each trip - without the uncertainty of tipping." Uber said that's still the case: "Tipping is not included, nor is it expected or required. In fact riders tell us that one of the things they like most about Uber is that it's hassle-free. And that's how we intend to keep it."

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
I only cherrypick a few Uber surges per week when Lyft is glitching or surging lower anyway...

Combined Lyft tips in-app and cash are a pretty stable 9-11% of income (after power bonuses and/or guarantees, which are another 20% or so).

So, at least in my situation, it makes sense to treat any Lyft call as equivalent to 1.4-1.5x surge on the same vehicle class for Uber

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
PS that said...unless pax catch wind of the agreement on a wide scale, that would drive up surge real high and people would break the strike.

Furthermore, this sudden over-saturation of pink would wreak havoc with gameplans and incomes for us from the mostly-Lyft crowd....

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points the both of you ( Adieu & powmoe )

Here's a thought: What if a good majority of drivers on here agreed to a set week that we would drive Lyft only on the odd or even day that our birth month fell within. So for example, my birth month is an odd month, which means if we all agreed to a set week of 1st through the 8th then I would drive only on Lyft the 1st, 3rd, 5th and so forth.

This would actually create a surge on Uber (hopefully) and make up for some of the days not driven on Uber, while still providing income with the Lyft days.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
How about weekdays?

Hardcore Lyft drivers depend heavily on PDB, which requires massive weekend hours...meanwhile, commuters would take the largest hit from chaos on Uber and suffer immensely, while the bar rush crowd would figure it out eventually since they're all clustered up and taking group rides anyway

Furthermore, Lyft surge algorithms working the way they do, an entire bar zone massively migrating to Lyft would spark MASSIVE surges of +700% or more and holding for a good long while, regardless of the amount of drivers around

...win-win

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PS that said...unless pax catch wind of the agreement on a wide scale, that would drive up surge real high and people would break the strike.

Furthermore, this sudden over-saturation of pink would wreak havoc with gameplans and incomes for us from the mostly-Lyft crowd....
I am not proposing a Strike. This is a selective work choice to emphasize Lyft has an In-App Tip option...and we desire Uber to add same.

This passengers objection (from an article about tipping in Uber) to tipping would be eliminated: "Although my driver was fine and I'm generally a good tipper, I resisted the instinct to comply," she wrote. "He got a five-star rating but nothing further - not because I'd begrudge him the extra money, but because the only way to preserve the frictionless Uber experience is to defy the social pressure to tip."

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
She? Who?

Anyway, that sort of IS a strike....

Furthermore, you forgot a key point: ignoring any and ALL requests for ANYTHING that aren't accompanied by cash in hand....forget about oxen cords and jack off boxes, I mean even stuff like "could you take the window off childlock" (well THEY think it's simple, me I haaaaate it when they mess with it...especially humid days in beach cities, where the only way to stay defogged is A/C + cracked rear window)

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She? Who?

Anyway, that sort of IS a strike....

Furthermore, you forgot a key point: ignoring any and ALL requests for ANYTHING that aren't accompanied by cash in hand....forget about oxen cords and jack off boxes, I mean even stuff like "could you take the window off childlock" (well THEY think it's simple, me I haaaaate it when they mess with it...especially humid days in beach cities, where the only way to stay defogged is A/C + cracked rear window)
Adieu please try and stay on topic here. Feel free to go start another thread about 'child locks' etc...

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Adieu please try and stay on topic here. Feel free to go start another thread about 'child locks' etc...
It is on topic.

You Uber guys flex and bend too much...and don't get paid nearly enough for it.

If we're going Lyft-only to pressure consumers to tip, AT LEAST be as callous and unbending as the average Lyft driver...preferably more so. And explain why.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is on topic.

You Uber guys flex and bend too much...and don't get paid nearly enough for it.

If we're going Lyft-only to pressure consumers to tip, AT LEAST be as callous and unbending as the average Lyft driver...preferably more so. And explain why.
What I am proposing has nothing to do with the passengers....it's to pressure Uber, who will lose revenue, to put an In-App Tip Option in their Uber App.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
What I am proposing has nothing to do with the passengers....it's to pressure Uber, who will lose revenue, to put an In-App Tip Option in their Uber App.
Why not kill an extra bird with that stone??

And, anyway, you guys from the "sort-of-on-Lyft...sometimes" crowd spoil our customers rotten.

It's bad for our business.

WE don't take nearly as much nonsense as the average uber pax serves up, knowing that we're pretty much unfettered by the rating system, which on Lyft is far more punitive to pax....and far more driver-friendly.

Ive had uber refugee paxholes give me the "don't you care about your rating???" line a few times.... they're always shocked at how hard I laugh at that.

1) no I dont, it only sticks for like 10 days...unless *I* take 2 minutes to complain about *you*, in which case it never counts at all
2) yours, on the other hand...last months, if not forever, dear customer
3) anyone you rated 3* or below or rated you (!) 3* or below ain't ever getting your call from the system again... these people have FUN when they need to get to the airport at 5am, and the nearest driver they haven't exchanged pleasantries with yet is 39 minutes away...and NOT actually coming anyway
4) and, of course, if you gotta ask...you ain't rating me 5* with $20 tip anyway. At which point, why should I care at all? My bare minimum is driving, so long as your bare minimum of safe civil behaviour is fulfilled....so here's me driving, that's all you get. Get rude, and that will turn into WALKING home. Btw, please note the cute if somewhat dilapidated low income housing to the immediate right and left of us. We call that COMPTON, kids.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Its not gonna happen with all the surging that has been going on. Its back to good again. But trust and believe, uber will screw it up again, then we do it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
it may not work like Adieu said because it may just cause lots of surges and lots of scabs to come out, but i say still worth the try. only thing left imo is picking which week.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts