Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to this so not sure if this had been previously discussed. Early this morning, while driving to my real job, I opened by Uber RIDER app to see how many Uber cars where around the area.

It then occurred to me that if enough people in "center city" (or anywhere) had their rider app open, it would cause the area pricing to surge (at least that is how I understand it).

So is it logical to say if enough non-driving Uber drivers kept their rider app open when they are at work, and not driving for Uber, the area will surge and help out the current working drivers?

Considering there are probably millions of drivers who have real jobs, leaving their rider app open, with an occasional refresh, requires no effort and might help out others?

Maybe if the day drivers make enough surge trips, they'll stay off the roads during the evening when I'm out there!!! LOL!

Reactions: ClevelandUberRider

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
If the 'open rider apps' trigger a 'surge' but no one actually requests a car, the system will turn off the surge. Surge is not based just on 'open apps' - it's based on ride requests and time to service the pax.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Loool nice try bro, but we all thought of that. Leaving the app will never cause a surge, u actually have to request rides for the system to see that the demand is high in a certain area.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
How do you KNOW what it's based on? Not as if Uber has told you.
I can't be 100% certain - but there is a certain amount known about the computer logic that goes into programming a system that manages 'surges'. And Uber has spoken of this repeatedly as the system has come under fire in crisis situations - and in defense of bad publicity. It's not that difficult to understand (barring any manual overriding/manipulation of the system)... along with the public comments from Kalanick and regional managing directors/Operating Managers... and of course observing how the system works for a year.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Loool nice try bro, but we all thought of that. Leaving the app will never cause a surge, u actually have to request rides for the system to see that the demand is high in a certain area.
It is based on the number of people that open the app that will cause the map to heat up and eventually surge. It's an interesting idea. The problem is hurding cats! Coordination is difficult. How many times have strike been attempted. I like the notion though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts