Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PICK-UP @ LAX BY 2nd PARTY REQUEST AS A ROUND TRIP FARE.

Sup fellow drivers,
Hope all is well, if not, then may things get better soon; for all of us.

Got something in mind that I'd like to ask/share and clear up about picking up at LAX.

So, today I did a few early morning drop offs at LAX from DTLA. Picked up 2 PAX on carpool, but it was a low surge. Dropped em off @ term 1 & 5.

On my way back to fuel at Centinella / La Brea (lowest spot I've seen in L.A.), I got a ping not far from there, still in Inglewood.
Picked up the customer but he did not enter a destination address. When I asked he said he'd give me directions, that it was going to be a round trip. No problem, I've had others do the same, usually is short little trips though.

Anyway, when I turned onto Century and got closer to the 405, he got a call and said "Perfect, I'll see you soon babe", hung up and told me we're picking up his girl at the airport.

I slowed down and told him I can't, I'm not allowed, he agreed. Told me he knew how hard it was to get a pick up request at LAX. That's why he requested a ride FROM HIS HOUSE.

I told him I didn't want problems and if he could please cancel the trip. He assured me this wasn't a sting opp nor was he trying to trick me.

Finally I told him that I'd only drop him off. He didn't seem to like that, so I took down my sticker just in case.

Turns out his girl was already waiting curbside, told me to open the trunk and not to get off, he put the baggage in and both hopped in my car asap before I could end the trip..

Seeing that it was legit, I pulled my hand away from the phone and just started driving again. They were BOTH happy to see each other and glad to be on their way home..

When I dropped them off, that guy was very thankful and gave me $10 bucks! I thanked him too, but I was kinda sweating it...lol.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or situation like this?
I don't know what to think, was it an illegal trip, perhaps I got lucky or is that a legit kinda loop hole?

·
Banned
388 Posts
Dam that's a tough one email fuber and ask them what you should do in that situation...would love to see that stupid ass response....

But I think once a cop sees an passanger get out and hug kiss the person picking them up it will look normal...

I would of parked made him pay the parking fee...but then that would of ment no tip probably... I rather lose 10$ then get May car impounded...remember pax gets to walk away at the end no matter who's fault it is....your stuck with ticket, car less and jobless

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on..
I doubt this would be something I'd like to pursue or exploit, if anything, I still think I got lucky on this one. (Yikes)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've wondered about that situation too, I've had a couple instances where I took someone to LAX to pickup a relative, both times I just said I can only drop off at the upper level and they would have to find another way home, I suggested taking a shuttle off property and order another Uber, didn't want to risk any issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call,
I don't know what I was thinking risking it like that. Perhaps the thought of ME not doing the actual pick up, cause technically, the customers meter was still running..

You know how sometimes, if anyone's done late night, last call, club or bar pickups, the PAX asks to stop by a drive through for some grub, I guess I ended u up thinking of it like that towards the end.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
First week or first month or so driving I had a similar trip from MDR, but they were meeting in the parking garage.

So was not an issue; but could definitely be a sting now if from the vicinity so probably not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
The trip did not originate at LAX, so it is perfectly legal.

All they care about is hovering around LAX picking up from there.
Still not worth the risk or going to court to win.

You are a PUC vehicle under hire picking up at LAX vs the pickup passenger was not the paying customer so all is good.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Still not worth the risk or going to court to win.

You are a PUC vehicle under hire picking up at LAX vs the pickup passenger was not the paying customer so all is good.
No need to go to court. Once they see the address of pickup on waybill, no problem.

You guys are over complicating things.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
They could have impound your car , no pick up at lax period. If you picked up two pax and drop one of at lax and left lax with other pax no problem

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I had a ping a while back in Santa Monica, LAX was the destination... but the pax spoke very little English. I finally figured out he wanted to go to LAX to pick up his parents.

I explained UberX could not pick up there... not sure how much he understood. I ended up dropping him off at departures and telling him to order Uber Black to get back home.

My one day rating did not take a hit, and I did not break any Uber/LAX rules... I feel I dodged a bullet on that ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not long ago, I got a hit at a cargo building two blocks from LAX. Then the guy called me and said he was on the curb at Terminal 6. I said "I don't think I'm allowed to pick you up." He said "It's okay, I do this all the time." Turned out to be legit (Thank God). It was my first weekend doing this, and I felt a bit nervous about it.

BTW, the next week, the LA City Council voted down Uber pickups 11-2. Garcetti is for us, but the Council is getting pressured by the taxi and shuttle companies.

Politics... :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts