Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived last night at my pickup location at 12 AM, and to my pleasant surprise it was a pax who was very friendly, sober, just getting off of work. To my unpleasant surprise, right when I went to pick her up, the battery light on my dashboard came on, followed by a grinding noise. I drove her home, 30 miles away from where I live. She was pleasant, 5 stars, tip, etc, meanwhile I'm starting to sweat bullets. I ended my night during peak hours and tried to make it home... I shut everything off except ignition and headlights, even unplugged my cell phone charger. Made it a mile from home and the ECU in the car finally shut off from low voltage and died. My wife came and gave me a quick jump to get the car started to limp it home to the garage. The OAD clutch bearing on my alternator nuked itself (yes, I have a 200-amp alternator in my car which requires the OAD clutched pulley). So I get to take all of yesterday's earnings and swap out my alternator today, yay! It just sucks that I had another 2-3 hours of prime trips I could have taken and this happened at the worst possible time and one of the worst places to be so far from home.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I feel your pain. Summer does take it's toll on batteries, too. I had to buy a new one last week. I limped it to the dealer not knowing if it was the alternator or not when the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree after a click-click, then a slow engine turnover. Was happy to find out that it was only the battery...$200+ later.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least yours was a somewhat simpler issue. My battery is only a year old, 1000-amp Interstate. My alternator on the other hand was original. The new one I picked up at Napa has a bench-sheet that came with it rating it at 259 amps max output, hopefully should past another 130k. Swapping it now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I arrived last night at my pickup location at 12 AM, and to my pleasant surprise it was a pax who was very friendly, sober, just getting off of work. To my unpleasant surprise, right when I went to pick her up, the battery light on my dashboard came on, followed by a grinding noise. I drove her home, 30 miles away from where I live. She was pleasant, 5 stars, tip, etc, meanwhile I'm starting to sweat bullets. I ended my night during peak hours and tried to make it home... I shut everything off except ignition and headlights, even unplugged my cell phone charger. Made it a mile from home and the ECU in the car finally shut off from low voltage and died. My wife came and gave me a quick jump to get the car started to limp it home to the garage. The OAD clutch bearing on my alternator nuked itself (yes, I have a 200-amp alternator in my car which requires the OAD clutched pulley). So I get to take all of yesterday's earnings and swap out my alternator today, yay! It just sucks that I had another 2-3 hours of prime trips I could have taken and this happened at the worst possible time and one of the worst places to be so far from home.
sucks.
Glad you made it home safe.

When you hear/feel your car breaking , it's a bad feeling.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sucks.
Glad you made it home safe.

When you hear/feel your car breaking , it's a bad feeling.
Yes it is. I swapped my alternator today with a new one and got back on the road at a decent time. First trip request happened right before an interchange as I was heading into the city, so I took the interchange and headed that way... estimated time was 13 minutes, but realistically it was more like 8 minutes if things would have went as planned. I didn't even finish the interchange loop yet, and the pax cancelled... Now I am on a freeway that only has two exits for the next 7 miles, taking me out of the way of where I would rather be. Ugh. Then, the USB/Android/IPhone port on my head unit fried right after that. Then, after three quick trips, I got the dooming Android alert while dropping someone off at the airport: "Unable to start Uber partner," and now I am locked out. After picking up Wifi and updating tons of things on my phone, I finally got my Uber partner app to launch, after two hours of updates sitting in a parking lot during rush hour doing nothing. Talk about a string of electrical/electronic bad luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts