Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a relatively new member to this forum but not forums in general.

I wanted to start a thread due to a recent Rider experience I had that involved a language barrier.

She was Spanish speaking and knew very little English. I managed, however it is the first ride I've given where this was a factor.

On that note, I wanted to post this thread so others could post any tips they had for traversing language barriers with riders.

Please feel free to list any tips that you've used in these instances.

Thank you, and I look forward to forum'ing w/ you all.

- UberL33t

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread due to a recent Rider experience I had that involved a language barrier.

She was Spanish speaking and knew very little English. I managed, however it is the first ride I've given where this was a factor.

On that note, I wanted to post this thread so others could post any tips they had for traversing language barriers with riders.

- UberL33t
Most of my Spanish riders try hard to speak some English. They know a little and I am considerate to the fact they are trying. I come from a place of immense understanding because English is not my first language. My first language is and always will be Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

What amazed me was on a long trip from Downtown St. Pete to Bartow, I had one rider, who got on the phone to his mother and was speaking to her in Irish Gaelic. He got off the phone and profusely apologized, at which time I started speaking to him in Irish. He was positively stunned. It was probably, by and far, one of my enjoyable Uber rides ever. At this point, it did not matter if he tipped or not, there was that connection we had to our native language...... (FYI, he did tip me)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Steven - it is not always about you. We all know by now that you speak some level of Gaelic. You did not come close to answering 33t's question.

33t - If "no Ingles": Pointing helps. If they have put the "Destination" in, point to the map and ask "OK"? (Destination in Spanish is close - it is "Destino". When you arrive at the Destination, point and ask OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed Joe.. you pretty much dictated how the interaction took place verbatim.

I pointed to the dest. address on the app and she confirmed.

Has me seriously considering a Rosetta Stone course or two though.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Steven - it is not always about you. We all know by now that you speak some level of Gaelic. You did not come close to answering 33t's question.

33t - If "no Ingles": Pointing helps. If they have put the "Destination" in, point to the map and ask "OK"? (Destination in Spanish is close - it is "Destino". When you arrive at the Destination, point and ask OK.
Dude, you are coming across like some jerk in this. I said nothing about it being about me. I stated that English was not my first language and it will NEVER be. Please remind me when you are around when I speak Gaelic about you and you would have no earthly idea. Although, as interesting it may sound, you can talk about me in English, and I would know exactly what you are saying.

What you are more INEPT about is that I can completely and fully speak A WHOLE OTHER LANGUAGE and you have no clue.
My advice, from the first posting I made, is to be understanding, which you are at a deficit in. There are so many languages out there and English and Spanish are not the only ones. I have heard so many languages spoken in my car that I have almost ignored them at this point.

Finally, I am so sorry that I am fluent in another language. I just grew up in a strong Irish household, that held onto our language.

(Editted to add: I am giving you the courtesy to speak to you in English. I really don't have to, in honesty, because this country does not have an official language)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Dude, you are coming across like some jerk in this. I said nothing about it being about me. I stated that English was not my first language and it will NEVER be. Please remind me when you are around when I speak Gaelic about you and you would have no earthly idea. Although, as interesting it may sound, you can talk about me in English, and I would know exactly what you are saying.

What you are more INEPT about is that I can completely and fully speak A WHOLE OTHER LANGUAGE and you have no clue.
My advice, from the first posting I made, is to be understanding, which you are at a deficit in. There are so many languages out there and English and Spanish are not the only ones. I have heard so many languages spoken in my car that I have almost ignored them at this point.

Finally, I am so sorry that I am fluent in another language. I just grew up in a strong Irish household, that held onto our language.

(Editted to add: I am giving you the courtesy to speak to you in English. I really don't have to, in honesty, because this country does not have an official language)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a deaf passenger a week back.

I wrote things on a note pad. He used a note app on his phone. Simple thumbs up back and forth for confirmation.

I speak very little Spanish, but as noted pointing at the map to confirm destination works.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I had a deaf passenger a week back.

I wrote things on a note pad. He used a note app on his phone. Simple thumbs up back and forth for confirmation.

I speak very little Spanish, but as noted pointing at the map to confirm destination works.
My bet is that deaf passengers are very thankful they are deaf when they get Steven.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Although the USA has no "official language", its Constitution and all of its laws are written in English. Certainly English is translatable; however, it might benefit all newcomers to learn a little English.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Although the USA has no "official language", its Constitution and all of its laws are written in English. Certainly English is translatable; however, it might benefit all newcomers to learn a little English.
Yeah, I agree. When I went to Ireland in January. Cork, Limerick, and Dublin had signs in English and Gaelic. Gaelic was a dying language, similar to Latin, but it is ironic, in the last 50 years, since Queen Elizabeth took over, Gaelic is being more readily taught. Once I was on the west coast of Ireland, no one spoke English and if you tried to even speak English to them, you were readily ignored. My cousins would not even speak English to me. In western Ireland, everyone knows English, but they will not speak it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you live in FL, it benefits you to speak Spanish. I once had a sales manager that couldn't , but his advice was golden ; try.

Even some of the small things like "como estas" , " todo bien" are of great benefit. It shows your client/pax that you hold some sort of value in them.

The same holds true for any of your other languages that your pax can speak. Creole, Portuguese , Dutch....whatever.

Btw, I *do* think it's drop dead foolish for people to come to the US and not try their hardest to learn English , but that's another thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello,

- UberL33t
I had that once and popped open google translator. Typed in English what I wanted and she read it in Spanish. done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of my Spanish riders try hard to speak some English. They know a little and I am considerate to the fact they are trying. I come from a place of immense understanding because English is not my first language. My first language is and always will be Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

What amazed me was on a long trip from Downtown St. Pete to Bartow, I had one rider, who got on the phone to his mother and was speaking to her in Irish Gaelic. He got off the phone and profusely apologized, at which time I started speaking to him in Irish. He was positively stunned. It was probably, by and far, one of my enjoyable Uber rides ever. At this point, it did not matter if he tipped or not, there was that connection we had to our native language...... (FYI, he did tip me)
Has anyone had a problem with our Uber partner help desk understanding what you are saying? I have gone around many times trying to get a point across and very little success.very polite but come on.I can tell by the language that sometimes they switch to english educated agent.Very hard to keep your cool at times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts