Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given up anticipating intersections. They're all different, and like a pax pickup, you never real know what to expect when you get there. Google maps lane guidance is OK but far from perfect.

The last straw was when TWO of the three lanes were right turn only and dedicated to the toll road (133 south).

Rule of thumb...Most of time, the middle lane is good place to be for last minute lane changes. I bet a lot of you already know that!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Not sure about that. I highly doubt that they will have any other nav info beyond google maps.
Google maps knows how intersections split and what lane turns etc.

They have been having enoloyees drive google cars to map all this for years. The data is there, I just think the infrastructure is NOT there to have these self driving operate smoothly or safely

·
Premium Member
23,298 Posts
Not sure about that. I highly doubt that they will have any other nav info beyond google maps.
They have triplicate Radar on the car. At this very moment nearly half a million Uber drivers are driving around every nook & cranny of the U.S. and their Uber App is gathering data as they do so....

Trust The Machine...it will out pace you by miles. It has to if it is going to conquer mankind!

:rolleyes:

This look like Google Maps to you?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have triplicate Radar on the car. At this very moment nearly half a million Uber drivers are driving around every nook & cranny of the U.S. and their Uber App is gathering data as they do so....

Trust The Machine...it will out pace you by miles. It has to if it is going to conquer mankind!

View attachment 99328
You watched "The Matrix Trilogy" one too many times. Lol!!!:cool::D:p

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I'm gradually learning each intersection's layout because I'm sick of the pax telling me, "ah, you need to be in the middle lane" always just as I approach it and realize myself I need to be over there. Also, on the hwy it's a safety factor to know what lane splits where.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

View attachment 99328
Looks like one water ballon full of paint from being a road block to me.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Google maps knows how intersections split and what lane turns etc.

They have been having enoloyees drive google cars to map all this for years. The data is there, I just think the infrastructure is NOT there to have these self driving operate smoothly or safely
Plus the data changes, too. Last minute road work, palm trees falling down... ain't no self-driving thing coming soon

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Plus the data changes, too. Last minute road work, palm trees falling down... ain't no self-driving thing coming soon
When it was raining hard I did not want to be under any overhanging tree branches all around Inglewood or anywhere in LA for that matter. I saw so many fallen branches and toppled old trees. I did my best to avoid them for my sake and the PAX. It'll be quite some time before a self driving car can analyze all that data and process the best route. I'm sure it'll happen, but not as quickly as the dooms ayers say.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts