Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received a ticket for improper lighting (illumited display) not vehicle manufacture

Cop pulled me over on Lake St

Ticket got a little wet but it says:
Section 169.64 Minnesota Statue Violation
Lame:(

*Decided to earn some extra cash after my shift and went against my better judgement to not work after bar close and got pulled over on Lake and Lynn for my illuminated Lyft sign on my dashboard.
Unfortunately I did have a passenger and it was totally embarrassing. Def know my rating will take a hit but I don't care, it wasn't intentional.
I know its not suppose to be on while vehicle in motion but I totally forgot to shut it off.

So I guess I turn my unfortunate situation as a lesson for you guys. You cannot have anything illuminated that's not original manufacture equipment unless you're a taxi or shuttle bus and it must be in white or yellow.
You can turn your light on only when parked. He said your car can look like a Christmas tree if you want as long as it's parked.
(Got a little lecture)
Just remember to turn off your signage before you take off.
I asked what about pizza delivery and they have a "vehicle permit to advertise" LYFT and Uber do not have illumited advertising permits and we are not running commercials vehicles. Pizza drivers have commercial insurance when they're working.
I made a point to say I see others with glowy signs (uber) and he said "I'm pulling them over and issuing tickets).
This cop knows his stuff but was a prick. God I hope he doesn't read this forum cause I'm going to fight it, lol.
I'll post an update after my hearing let ya guys know how this went. Sucks! Lame. Super Lame

·
Registered
316 Posts
What is the candle power?

169.64 PROHIBITED LIGHTS; EXCEPTIONS.
Subdivision 1.Bright light

Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than a headlamp, a spot lamp, or an auxiliary driving lamp, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300-candle power, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts

Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than a headlamp, a spot lamp, or an auxiliary driving lamp, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300-candle power, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
I don't think this part of the statute is what she got busted for. This one is telling you where the beam of a light can land. 300 candlepower is 3825 lumens and the average low beam headlight is 700 lumens. I don't think her Lyft light is 5 times brighter than a low beam.

I think this is the part that she got busted for:

Subd. 2.Colored light.
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.​

How much was the ticket?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I got my lighted Uber sign, I went to the police station and asked them about it. They told me exactly what this officer told you. It sucks because there's times where I starting chatting with the PAX and I forget to turn it off. I guess I got lucky. Fight that ticket brother. You'll win.

Received a ticket for improper lighting (illumited display) not vehicle manufacture

*Decided to earn some extra cash after my shift and went against my better judgement to not work after bar close and got pulled over on Lake and Lynn for my illuminated Lyft sign on my dashboard.
Unfortunately I did have a passenger and it was totally embarrassing. Def know my rating will take a hit but I don't care, it wasn't intentional.
I know its not suppose to be on while vehicle in motion but I totally forgot to shut it off.

So I guess I turn my unfortunate situation as a lesson for you guys. You cannot have anything illuminated that's not original manufacture equipment unless you're a taxi or shuttle bus and it must be in white or yellow.
You can turn your light on only when parked. He said your car can look like a Christmas tree if you want as long as it's parked.
(Got a little lecture)
I asked what about pizza delivery and they have a "vehicle permit to advertise" LYFT and Uber do not have illumited advertising permits and we are not running commercials vehicles. Pizza drivers have commercial insurance when they're working.
I made a point to say I see others with glowy signs (uber) and he said "I'm pulling them over and issuing tickets).
This cop knows his stuff but was a prick. God I hope he doesn't read this forum cause I'm going to fight it, lol.
I'll post an update after my hearing let ya guys know how this went. Sucks! Lame. Super Lame

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yup. I knew this already, my brother is a Minneapolis cop 4th district. And no, I didn't pull the brother is a cop thing, he told me never do that. Ill just fight it and let you know what happens. I'll call tomorrow and make an appointment with the hearing officer. You don't have to do court for something like this.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yup. I knew this already, my brother is a Minneapolis cop 4th district. And no, I didn't pull the brother is a cop thing, he told me never do that. Ill just fight it and let you know what happens. I'll call tomorrow and make an appointment with the hearing officer. You don't have to do court for something like this.
Your brother is a cop and your sister is an insurance agent and your best friend works for TSA and your other friend is an Uber black driver who is going to drive his super expensive car for a dollar a mile and drive us all out of business. Surprised you got a ticket with all your high level connections.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your brother is a cop and your sister is an insurance agent and your best friend works for TSA and your other friend is an Uber black driver who is going to drive his super expensive car for a dollar a mile and drive us all out of business. Surprised you got a ticket with all your high level connections.
She also has a friend in the diamond business, buys his diamonds direct and eliminates the middle man. I'm sure she can give you the info

·
Registered
675 Posts

(Got a little lecture)
Statute Section 169.64 violation, ehhh?

·
Registered
179 Posts

(Got a little lecture)
Fight it! You'll get it dropped as long as you schedule a hearing officer appt anywhere BUT the Downtown location. I would suggest Ridgedale, the hearing officers there usually dismiss petty tickets like this (if it is your first offense). Tell they it was an official trade dress and you simply forgot to turn it off. Good Luck!

I don't think this part of the statute is what she got busted for. This one is telling you where the beam of a light can land. 300 candlepower is 3825 lumens and the average low beam headlight is 700 lumens. I don't think her Lyft light is 5 times brighter than a low beam.

I think this is the part that she got busted for:

Subd. 2.Colored light.
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.​

How much was the ticket?
Bingo! Definitely pinned her for the Sub 2. Dick move, most cops don't care or just give a warning. Theirs a few pricks out there that have nothing better to do than to haggle you over a petty light when they could be busting the real criminals. Must've been a slow night.

Don't forget, she knows all the best Burger places in town & still hasn't revealed her secret locations.... There goes our chances...:(

It doesn't seem like using this light is worth the risk. I'm sure I would forget to turn it off sometimes as well. I'm guessing we all would.
Sell it on Ebay! They go for upwards of $100. One less problem & Easy $$$

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just reading the TNC ordinance for Minneapolis and found this:

"343.100 Transportation network vehicles, distinctive trade dress. A transportation network company vehicle shall display, as approved by the licensing official, a consistent and distinctive signage or emblem at all times while the driver is active on the TNC dispatch system. The distinctive signage or emblem shall be sufficiently large and color contrasted:

(1) As to be readable during daylight hours at a distance of at least fifty (50) feet; and

(2) Reflective, illuminated or otherwise patently visible so as to be seen in darkness, and to identify that a particular vehicle is associated with a particular licensee.

Acceptable forms of distinctive signage include, but are not limited to, symbols or signs on vehicle doors, roofs, or grilles. Magnetic or other removable distinctive signage is acceptable. Licensees shall file an illustration of their distinctive trade dress with the license official. "

According to the ordinance, you CAN have an illuminated trade dress. You should fight all tickets on this, or print out the ordinance and show the officer as he probably has never actually looked at it. Now, this is just for MLPS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just reading the TNC ordinance for Minneapolis and found this:

"343.100 Transportation network vehicles, distinctive trade dress. A transportation network company vehicle shall display, as approved by the licensing official, a consistent and distinctive signage or emblem at all times while the driver is active on the TNC dispatch system. The distinctive signage or emblem shall be sufficiently large and color contrasted:

(1) As to be readable during daylight hours at a distance of at least fifty (50) feet; and

(2) Reflective, illuminated or otherwise patently visible so as to be seen in darkness, and to identify that a particular vehicle is associated with a particular licensee.

Acceptable forms of distinctive signage include, but are not limited to, symbols or signs on vehicle doors, roofs, or grilles. Magnetic or other removable distinctive signage is acceptable. Licensees shall file an illustration of their distinctive trade dress with the license official. "

According to the ordinance, you CAN have an illuminated trade dress. You should fight all tickets on this, or print out the ordinance and show the officer as he probably has never actually looked at it. Now, this is just for MLPS.
Uber's policy does not overrule a state statute.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Uber's policy does not overrule a state statute.
Le sigh, this is not Uber's policy ... this is straight out of the Minneapolis TNC ordinance (which means it was voted on and adopted by the City of Minneapolis). Therefore, the Minneapolis police cannot cite you for it. If they do, it will be thrown out by a hearing officer if you bring this ordinance up. Now if you are on a State highway, and pulled over by the State Patrol, that is a different matter. City ordinances DO trump the state on city streets.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Le sigh, this is not Uber's policy ... this is straight out of the Minneapolis TNC ordinance (which means it was voted on and adopted by the City of Minneapolis). Therefore, the Minneapolis police cannot cite you for it. If they do, it will be thrown out by a hearing officer if you bring this ordinance up. Now if you are on a State highway, and pulled over by the State Patrol, that is a different matter. City ordinances DO trump the state on city streets.
"Acceptable forms of distinctive signage include, but are not limited to, symbols or signs on vehicle doors, roofs, or grilles. Magnetic or other removable distinctive signage is acceptable. Licensees shall file an illustration of their distinctive trade dress with the license official. "

I'm not an expert, but to me this sound like if I have more than one trade dress, I should register all the trade dress to be consider official trade dress. For example, if I have one sticker, one magnetic and one illuminated than I should register all three to be consider official. At least to me that what is sound like. Maybe that why BurgerTiime got a ticket because it wasn't an official trade dress register with the city, but rather something that has the same logo that illuminated light. She did said she got the ticket for not turning off the illuminated sign. Who know. I'm just not gonna use it unless it an official trade dress.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not an expert, but to me this sound like if I have more than one trade dress, I should register all the trade dress to be consider official trade dress. For example, if I have one sticker, one magnetic and one illuminated than I should register all three to be consider official. At least to me that what is sound like.
You are not the licensee. Uber and Lyft are the licensees. They are responsible for filing examples of their trade dress with the city.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are not the licensee. Uber and Lyft are the licensees. They are responsible for filing examples of their trade dress with the city.
I know. I was using myself as an example that if I started a TNC company and wanted to have more than one official trades I should register all of them to be considered official.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.