Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. I live in NE Philly. I know that area pretty well, do pax actually expect you to be familiar with the whole of Philadelphia?!?! My 2 complaints are navigation and not taking the best route(in the pax opinion of course, could be my best route...) does anyone know Philadelphia like the back of their hand? And aren't there like 3 different ways to get to 1 destination? Why am I to blame, especially if I tell pax I'm following the gps unless they want to guide me.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
But in honesty, it took me about a year to learn every street in Philly like the back of my hand. These cheap losers expect someone making $1.00 or less a mile to be a professional. Remind them and put them in their place. And btw no gps can guide you like your own city wisdom can. All gps's fall short in that regard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But in honesty, it took me about a year to learn every street in Philly like the back of my hand. These cheap losers expect someone making $1.00 or less a mile to be a professional. Remind them and put them in their place. And btw no gps can guide you like your own city wisdom can. All gps's fall short in that regard.
But how? In Philly there are the same name streets on different ends of the city...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
They complain for many reasons trying to get reimbursed. May have nothing to do with your skills/knowledge.
Also the shortest route often isn't the fastest one but when they look at it in receipt email they think they've been taken advantage of.
Don't sweat it at all. Use Waze and tell them which way the app is suggesting.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I'm pretty positive most people in West Philly and burbs don't know isht about NE Philly and our burbs...I may be mistaken
That reminds me of an Uber trip I drove earlier this year. I think it was a Saturday mid-day. I'm age 52. I grew up in Northeast Philly near the Montgomery County line. So I too think I know NE Philly pretty well. In 2009, I moved from Red Lion Road to the City Avenue area where I still live.

I picked up this pax woman off City Avenue. Had an accent, sounded Haitian. Destination was Welsh Road in Bethayres/ Huntingdon Valley where she's a nursing home worker. I commented to pax that I used to live near there, worked in Bethayres Shopping Center when I was a teenager, etc. She's like, "oh, that's cool," etc.

Growing up, my mom used to drive from Welsh Road to the Boulevard to City Avenue if we needed to go to City Avenue. I continued to take that route all my life.

So pax is talking to a friend on the phone as I head north on the Roosevelt Expressway at 50 mph. I'm passing the Broad Street exit when she exclaims, "why didn't you take Broad Street?" Then I hear her muttering to her phone friend how this Uber driver should have taken Broad Street! All this, mind you, was after I already had told her I grew up near her destination! So this Haitian immigrant is telling a native guy the best way to go. Excuse me?

I didn't respond since she was on the phone. As I'd expected, the Boulevard had light traffic at that hour. I later heard her on the phone saying, "Oh, I think he's going all the way up to Welsh."

I mean, I never go up 611 to go to or near the Northeast unless the destination really is near 611. Bottom line was that I indeed took Welsh all the way from the Boulevard to Bethayres and I felt I made pretty good time. She seemed impressed towards the end how well I seemed to know Huntingdon Valley. I told her I hadn't replied to her because she was on the phone, sorry for her concern, but that was how I've always gone to Bethayres. She seemed cool with it as I guess she got to work on time easily. Really irritated me though, with her whining to her friend about me earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That reminds me of an Uber trip I drove earlier this year. I think it was a Saturday mid-day. I'm age 52. I grew up in Northeast Philly near the Montgomery County line. So I too think I know NE Philly pretty well. In 2009, I moved from Red Lion Road to the City Avenue area where I still live.

I picked up this pax woman off City Avenue. Had an accent, sounded Haitian. Destination was Welsh Road in Bethayres/ Huntingdon Valley where she's a nursing home worker. I commented to pax that I used to live near there, worked in Bethayres Shopping Center when I was a teenager, etc. She's like, "oh, that's cool," etc.

Growing up, my mom used to drive from Welsh Road to the Boulevard to City Avenue if we needed to go to City Avenue. I continued to take that route all my life.

So pax is talking to a friend on the phone as I head north on the Roosevelt Expressway at 50 mph. I'm passing the Broad Street exit when she exclaims, "why didn't you take Broad Street?" Then I hear her muttering to her phone friend how this Uber driver should have taken Broad Street! All this, mind you, was after I already had told her I grew up near her destination! So this Haitian immigrant is telling a native guy the best way to go. Excuse me?

I didn't respond since she was on the phone. As I'd expected, the Boulevard had light traffic at that hour. I later heard her on the phone saying, "Oh, I think he's going all the way up to Welsh."

I mean, I never go up 611 to go to or near the Northeast unless the destination really is near 611. Bottom line was that I indeed took Welsh all the way from the Boulevard to Bethayres and I felt I made pretty good time. She seemed impressed towards the end how well I seemed to know Huntingdon Valley. I told her I hadn't replied to her because she was on the phone, sorry for her concern, but that was how I've always gone to Bethayres. She seemed cool with it as I guess she got to work on time easily. Really irritated me though, with her whining to her friend about me earlier.
Have the same feelings about kids that weren't born when I settled in Brooklyn trying to teach me the best ways around NYC.

Reactions: Cathi

·
Registered
388 Posts
Some people Lol I too am pretty seasoned in Philly. There isn't a part of Philly I haven't touched as a driver. Sometimes it happens so fast tthough.You get a classic brain fart. I had to take a pax to winter street from Jefferson. I was looking at the map like where the hell is winter St, scanning all over and over then I found it and was like really??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ok folks. I live in NE Philly. I know that area pretty well, do pax actually expect you to be familiar with the whole of Philadelphia?!?! My 2 complaints are navigation and not taking the best route(in the pax opinion of course, could be my best route...) does anyone know Philadelphia like the back of their hand? And aren't there like 3 different ways to get to 1 destination? Why am I to blame, especially if I tell pax I'm following the gps unless they want to guide me.
Pax: you know 18th and walnut?
Me: no, so that means i am not getting tipped

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Long rant:

I've lived in the Boston immediate area pretty much since 1978 after graduating from Cherry Hill East.

That's still a decent school district, from what I hear. So I'm of at least average intelligence; in face, my SAT scores were slightly above average but not stupendous. So, I should be able to quickly learn all streets "like the back of my hand," right?

Anyway...

I've given over 100,000 taxi rides in my long "career" here (no, I don't pronounce those last two words with a Boston accent, thank goodness ).

Well, I still don't know all the streets in Boston. I can go a month or more without driving into the furthest and least busy area. And yes, it's much smaller than Philly, at only 49 square miles.

Most of my fares go to the same places and streets, so of course I'm not as familiar with outer Boston if I don't drive there regularly. Unless I hang at the cab stands out there, I wouldn't get to know the common requests "like the back of my hand." I do not hang at those cab stands because they're near unsafe areas.

I drive nights, so it's hard to see and know all the schools and churchs...if I notice them at all in the dark. Do you know all the parks, ball fields and playgrounds? Well, if you don't know even one obscure one, the pax may think you're new, dumb or uneducsted, possibly causing a bad rating.

Never mind nearby Cambridge (home to MIT and Harvard) and Somerville: heck, I could not recall in order, or even know every name on the main streets or major side streets. I've never been asked to on a test. I can't pick up in those areas as a Boston taxi unless we have a call there which is rare; they call their own town's taxi companies.

Do you know every street in Cherry Hill or Collingswood or Haddonfield? Well, one could argue that you should, as they're within ten miles or fewer of Center City. You probably don't go there often, depending of course on where you tend to pick up. Yes, you likely know the basics, but without driving around for hours in the daylight, for consecutive days at over and over, it won't all sink in. No matter how educated you are!

I learn something each time I drive down my regular routes, as there's always something new I notice.

Heck, I realize some streets I've forgotten the exact location, but am at least aware of that deficiency. Most of my (and your) dropoffs, we'll forget the name of that obscure side street unless we go there again soon.

Can you tell me every side street in Philly, and if it's a one-way, AND where it ends AND which streets it intersects? Of course not.

If I ask you the 3900-block of Walnut, do you know every biz there, every mom and pop, on each side of the street? Nope.

Do you know every major restaurant a pax may go to? I don't, although I try to follow the Boston restaurant scene closely.

Finally, whenever there's crime reported on your local news, have you even heard of those streets, never mind know how to drive to them directly sans GPS?

This is the only job in which you'll regularly look foolish, even after 20, 30, 40 plus years of full-time work.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I absolutely know about 90% of south Jersey arguably all the way from Moorestown/Mount Laurel all the way to Mullica Hill. The same with all the surrounding counties in Pennsylvania... And even Wilmington and Newark Delaware. I know Princeton pretty well too... There's no other choice in the matter. As little as I drive anymore I can still get to any major hotel or cross street without a GPS. When you're a professional, there's no excuses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I absolutely know about 90% of south Jersey arguably all the way from Moorestown/Mount Laurel all the way to Mullica Hill. The same with all the surrounding counties in Pennsylvania... And even Wilmington and Newark Delaware. I know Princeton pretty well too... There's no other choice in the matter. As little as I drive anymore I can still get to any major hotel or cross street without a GPS. When you're a professional, there's no excuses.
I can say the same for Princeton, Lawrence, Ewing, Burlington, Florence and Trenton....I know those areas really well. I also think those areas aren't as congested and maze like as Philadelphia tho. I also know Greensboro, NC really well also because again, the streets run parallel and it's a circle for the most part. The thing I can't understand bout Philadelphia is the use of the same street names. They couldn't be more creative, why are there literally 10 Camac streets in Philly? Is that necessary?!?! I live on Marsden St in Holmesberg and could get a pax going to Marsden St and would look completely foolish to take them to my street when they are going to Marsden St in Tacony...my real frustration is with the makers of Philadelphia because it's a damn maze...

and can you please stop acting like we aren't 'professional' for not have gps implanted into our memory, admit that Philadelphia is berserk...just admit it. There is no competition here and I still love your fiesty self!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Long rant:

I've lived in the Boston immediate area pretty much since 1978 after graduating from Cherry Hill East.

That's still a decent school district, from what I hear. So I'm of at least average intelligence; in face, my SAT scores were slightly above average but not stupendous. So, I should be able to quickly learn all streets "like the back of my hand," right?

Anyway...

I've given over 100,000 taxi rides in my long "career" here (no, I don't pronounce those last two words with a Boston accent, thank goodness ).

Well, I still don't know all the streets in Boston. I can go a month or more without driving into the furthest and least busy area. And yes, it's much smaller than Philly, at only 49 square miles.

Most of my fares go to the same places and streets, so of course I'm not as familiar with outer Boston if I don't drive there regularly. Unless I hang at the cab stands out there, I wouldn't get to know the common requests "like the back of my hand." I do not hang at those cab stands because they're near unsafe areas.

I drive nights, so it's hard to see and know all the schools and churchs...if I notice them at all in the dark. Do you know all the parks, ball fields and playgrounds? Well, if you don't know even one obscure one, the pax may think you're new, dumb or uneducsted, possibly causing a bad rating.

Never mind nearby Cambridge (home to MIT and Harvard) and Somerville: heck, I could not recall in order, or even know every name on the main streets or major side streets. I've never been asked to on a test. I can't pick up in those areas as a Boston taxi unless we have a call there which is rare; they call their own town's taxi companies.

Do you know every street in Cherry Hill or Collingswood or Haddonfield? Well, one could argue that you should, as they're within ten miles or fewer of Center City. You probably don't go there often, depending of course on where you tend to pick up. Yes, you likely know the basics, but without driving around for hours in the daylight, for consecutive days at over and over, it won't all sink in. No matter how educated you are!

I learn something each time I drive down my regular routes, as there's always something new I notice.

Heck, I realize some streets I've forgotten the exact location, but am at least aware of that deficiency. Most of my (and your) dropoffs, we'll forget the name of that obscure side street unless we go there again soon.

Can you tell me every side street in Philly, and if it's a one-way, AND where it ends AND which streets it intersects? Of course not.

If I ask you the 3900-block of Walnut, do you know every biz there, every mom and pop, on each side of the street? Nope.

Do you know every major restaurant a pax may go to? I don't, although I try to follow the Boston restaurant scene closely.

Finally, whenever there's crime reported on your local news, have you even heard of those streets, never mind know how to drive to them directly sans GPS?

This is the only job in which you'll regularly look foolish, even after 20, 30, 40 plus years of full-time work.
I love your comment. You get it! I spent 2nd grade in Worcester, MA...All I remember is the gloom and the hills...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts