Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://fusion.net/story/195319/kidnappers-are-posing-as-uber-drivers/

Never get into an Uber if the driver doesn't know your name, kids. Even if the car has water and candy inside.

Over the past month, there have been two separate accounts of men posing as Uber drivers in an attempt to pick up women.

In the first, a Florida man impersonating an Uber driver attempted to abduct a 19-year-old college student as she tried to hail a late-night ride from a Florida State University campus dorm. The student asked to be taken to a nearby apartment complex, but instead he started driving in the wrong direction, eventually whipping out his you-know-what and demanding sexual favors, according to a local report of the encounter. The student made a run for it and managed to evade the Uber imposter as he chased after her. The driver was later arrested by police and charged with kidnapping.

In a second, unrelated incident, a man who said he was an Uber driver convinced two young women at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth to get in his car outside of campus after telling them another passenger had cancelled on him. The man "initiated inappropriate conversations," according to the local news, and tried to hug one of them before dropping them off without charging them. Campus police later sent out an alert, warning students that an Uber fake was on the loose.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
http://fusion.net/story/195319/kidnappers-are-posing-as-uber-drivers/

Never get into an Uber if the driver doesn't know your name, kids. Even if the car has water and candy inside.

Over the past month, there have been two separate accounts of men posing as Uber drivers in an attempt to pick up women.

In the first, a Florida man impersonating an Uber driver attempted to abduct a 19-year-old college student as she tried to hail a late-night ride from a Florida State University campus dorm. The student asked to be taken to a nearby apartment complex, but instead he started driving in the wrong direction, eventually whipping out his you-know-what and demanding sexual favors, according to a local report of the encounter. The student made a run for it and managed to evade the Uber imposter as he chased after her. The driver was later arrested by police and charged with kidnapping.

In a second, unrelated incident, a man who said he was an Uber driver convinced two young women at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth to get in his car outside of campus after telling them another passenger had cancelled on him. The man "initiated inappropriate conversations," according to the local news, and tried to hug one of them before dropping them off without charging them. Campus police later sent out an alert, warning students that an Uber fake was on the loose.
Well since they need to tell us their name NOT have us tell them what it is so they don't scam a ride that is lousy advice. If you won't give your name I'm not picking you up.

They have the f****** license plate and know what car I'm driving!

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
I used to have so many people just ask; are you my uber? or I'd have people just get in the car and not want to get out so they'd just keep guessing names.

A large number of users don't even look at the license plate, from experience*

·
Registered
30 Posts
The secret code system is supposed to be, "Hi, I'm (Insert Driver name Here)." and they're supposed to respond, "Hi I'm (Name on the Account requesting ride)."

Double verification, as they have your name on their app.

But yes, these fools prefer to randomly hop into any vehicle and hope they picked the right one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
More stupid pointless Fishy information. Nobody gets in my car without telling me their name, if some random person gets in I don't get paid, if they assault me and they are not my Uber rider how are the cops going to find them easily.
Was that you Fishy at the meeting spitting all over the microphone weighing 500kg?

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
More stupid pointless Fishy information. Nobody gets in my car without telling me their name, if some random person gets in I don't get paid, if they assault me and they are not my Uber rider how are the cops going to find them easily.
Was that you Fishy at the meeting spitting all over the microphone weighing 500kg?
Anyone thats up to no good is not looking to get paid. Random people just get into the car, it was often confrontational when instructing them to exit! I once had a crazy that hopped in! He clearly wasn't Jessica, when told to leave he proceeded to switch or turn every dial in the car while screaming at the top of his voice I was racist. I'll agree the whole X concept has lowered the hesitation of stepping into an unmarked car especially while intoxicated.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Taxi industry, associations and other groups should hire young elite looking spokesman or beautiful women to relay there message LOL Imagine these two in the image at a Taxi rally conveying their concerns over UberX, Taxi rides would be up!

Take note Taxi. Ind. this is good advice

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yup, that's kinda how Uber do it, no doubt young and dumb does it every time.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Mind you the genetically challenged spokespeople at the taxi rally hurt my eyes, maybe I will stick your choice Instyle but only the one on the right. I leave the left one to others.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gees it's scary. Not sure how long I'll keep driving for Uber.

Btw, what does Pax stand for? I see that on this forum often. I know it means riders, right?

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Gees it's scary. Not sure how long I'll keep driving for Uber.

Btw, what does Pax stand for? I see that on this forum often. I know it means riders, right?
Abbreviation for passenger.

How have your passengers been?
Are Funrides running 24/7?
Is the driver pay subject to surge when demand is high?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pax = Passenger? There's no letter x in Passenger.

Fun rides operates three shifts from 6 am until midnight, but 2am Friday and Saturday. The first two weeks were all free. This week they start charging $4.99 per trip. Therefore there's no such thing as surge. Dirt cheap. Overwelming support from all riders. They all want UberX in ADL! Drivers are paid by the hour even if we don't have request. We get bonus for Friday and Saturday nights and meals money if work more than 8 hours.

Not sure how long they can keep this up without charging riders and having to pay drivers at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Pax = Passenger? There's no letter x in Passenger.

Fun rides operates three shifts from 6 am until midnight, but 2am Friday and Saturday. The first two weeks were all free. This week they start charging $4.99 per trip. Therefore there's no such thing as surge. Dirt cheap. Overwelming support from all riders. They all want UberX in ADL! Drivers are paid by the hour even if we don't have request. We get bonus for Friday and Saturday nights and meals money if work more than 8 hours.

Not sure how long they can keep this up without charging riders and having to pay drivers at the same time.
Set hourly rate or Guaranteed hourly rate if you accept all requests?
Are you disadvantaged if you miss, cancel or don't accept a request?

I'll admit UberX is good on the surface and marketed well to passengers but I'm not so sure it's all that its made up to be. Being a contractor has advantages of flexibility and control but the disadvantages will outweigh some lifestyles, more difficult to get finance, housing, credit and consistency.

·
Registered
295 Posts
more difficult to get finance, housing, credit and consistency.
Yeah, I'm thinking of quiting the Uber-ing and just going to straight kidnapping!! :p ... Sorry, bad joke.

I keep coming back here. Could it be the photo of the pretty girl with her arms around Ugly? Maybe... ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes we have to accept all rides to be paid hourly rate. I accepted and cancelled quite a few trips because of rider no show. I only wait for five minutes and then text riders, no reply, then I cancel as no show. So far no penalty because it is not my fault.

Uber is a start up. It may or may not operate in ADL after the fun ride. For now, though, they pay me good pocket money. I only plan to drive one shift at a time. You cannot base your life plan on it.

As you know, South Australia has the highest unemployment rate in the whole country, higher than Tasmania. Uber helps people who are between jobs or on very low income to make ends meet. The government would be wise to work with Uber and make it legal to help provide employment for this back water that is South Australia.

We lost the car manufacturing industry, Olympic Dam is mothballed, Port Stanvac oil refinery went years ago, submarine building may go to Japan. We also lost the Grand Prix to Melbourne years ago. We have nothing in SA. We have nothing to lose now.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Yes we have to accept all rides to be paid hourly rate. I accepted and cancelled quite a few trips because of rider no show. I only wait for five minutes and then text riders, no reply, then I cancel as no show. So far no penalty because it is not my fault.

Uber is a start up. It may or may not operate in ADL after the fun ride. For now, though, they pay me good pocket money. I only plan to drive one shift at a time. You cannot base your life plan on it.

As you know, South Australia has the highest unemployment rate in the whole country, higher than Tasmania. Uber helps people who are between jobs or on very low income to make end meets. The government would be wise to work with Uber and make it legal to help provide employment for this back water that is South Australia.
Having seen and experience Uber for quite some time, at best it's a low paying job. Uber play on the words to entice drivers, $25-45 an hour for driving your car around an entire hour after fuel, vehicle expenses, tax, and GST theres not much left.

Generally anyone that can't hold or secure employment would struggle to keep above the rating cut off causing more uncertainty than unemployment benifits and job seeking help thats offered

·
Registered
327 Posts
Generally anyone that can't hold or secure employment would struggle to keep above the rating cut off causing more uncertainty than unemployment benifits and job seeking help thats offered
I do not understand the above quote. Btw, I edited my last post.

Remember, this is the ADL fun rides I am talking about. Uber has not been launched officially yet. Therefore it is different from other states, for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts