Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dont pick up people in the kemah area or u will be giving a citation i got one for not having a taxi permit yesterday becareful out there , the police out there dont even know whats a TNC permit is

be safe , be great

·
Registered
329 Posts
A ticket for what?
Operating as an Uber driver. That hot pink sticker Houston issues is only good inside the city limits of Houston. Cities outside of Houston have their own laws and enforce their laws based on how they view Uber (commercial, livery, taxi, TNC, rideshare, etc.)

The best thing to remember is that just because Uber says its "ok" doesn't mean it really is. Best way to know is to research yourself where it is/isn't allowed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but am posted this to let other drivers with out. TNC permit know DO TO THE FACT that the officer that gave me the citation did not knew what it was

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was park but they said i was not the first one to get a citation there, that they gonna be looking for all other uber drivers in the kemah are and give them a citation

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont think that its weather i had the U displayed or my phone up in the mount , i dont think that if were not suppost be some in a certain area we shouldn't be . i dont want to be working and HIDE from the police i want to be able to go to a pick up with out actually having to hide like if i was some kind of a criminal ... am 100% sure that every driver out there does not want that kind of environment

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have picked up and dropped off there so many times. Spoke to cops 2 times very briefly. Neither had a issue.
Must be something they started recently.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i did told her the same thing that i have had previously talk to other officers and they didn't had a problem and she saidnshe had to give me the citation

·
Registered
329 Posts
i dont think that its weather i had the U displayed or my phone up in the mount , i dont think that if were not suppost be some in a certain area we shouldn't be . i dont want to be working and HIDE from the police i want to be able to go to a pick up with out actually having to hide like if i was some kind of a criminal ... am 100% sure that every driver out there does not want that kind of environment
Keep in mind you are not hiding from anyone if you don't display the U. The ONLY place it's required is within Houston city limits if you have a permit. Uber doesn't even require you to place the U up. They just offer it so it's easier to denote your car to riders as an Uber vehicle.

When I work outside of Houston, say in Pasadena where I live, I don't put the U up because there is nothing that says I have to. For all I know (and I'll admit, I haven't checked) cops here don't have any beef with Uber operating in the city, and since there isn't a problem there is no need to display the U. Same for Kemah. Putting the U up just gives cops a reason to pull you over.

Keep this in mind too: It IS legal to drop off within the city limits of Houston without a city permit. It's just illegal to pick up. If you ride into Houston with the U up, and no permit, you could be pulled over and ticketed. I doubt the cop would take the time to figure out if you were just dropping off...in other words I doubt your word will be taken. Then you would have the headache of going to court to prove that you weren't picking up within Houston.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I guess being parked somewhere made you look suspicious. I picked up in Kemah once, only because I had a drop off in the area. I didn't park. A officer saw, me pick up, but he didn't say anything, but that is good to know. I'm glad you posted this. Let Uber know what happened. In areas that you can not legally pick up, and you get a ticket, Uber claims they will help you, but please let us know how this turns out at the end.

Did you have your lights on? Seeing someone parked there when the business is closed, does draw attention, and it is the officer's job to make sure you are not about to do anything illegal, so it is okay if the cop went up to your car. That is their job.

I avoid parking lots, these are private property, you will either be picked up by a camera, security officer, or like your case a city officer. Parking on private property when there are no other vehicles draws attention, usually for the wrong reason.

I like to park on the street. Obviously not in front of single family homes. Although, not illegal, this would scare the average citizen. I park by multi-family buildings, like apartments, townhomes, etc. No one really knows which one you belong to, and therefore, can not say anything. At all times, my lights are turned off, even during the day. If someone comes up, you can always say you are waiting for a someone.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
gerrardo29
What is the EXACT wording of the charge on the citation and what agency gave it to you? (Kemah Police, GCSO, Constable?)
I would think you have written into Uber regarding this, what was their response?
Please follow up and let us all know.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts