Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in TNC lot at DCA.

Someone living out of their car?? Lol.

Or did a driver make a pesky stool pax, "Disappear"?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,060 Posts
Only comment I will make is I have seen FAR worse than that there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only comment I will make is I have seen FAR worse than that there
I understand but you think with the push on keeping drivers happy, circumstances would be different? What happens when they close that area down , within the next 6 months for TNC drivers

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I sometimes check the airport que well after the last plane landed at BWI and there is always like 8 or 9 drivers waiting.

I imagine they are sleeping waiting for the red eyes from LAx to start dropping in around 545am.

We need a hostel for rides hare drivers.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
The massive lot at Dulles I discovered today has an area with picnic tables next to a nice pond. If you're going to set up shop for the night, might as well be there.

Problem at IAD, though, is the queue wait is ridiculous - at least 60 deep for Uber, 40 plus for Lyft today. Not worth hangin' around.

Getting in and out of the DCA lot is always a high-risk adventure, and it's just as bad when you're trying to park and get out of there. I especially like the idiots who just HAVE to park rear-first.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
The massive lot at Dulles I discovered today has an area with picnic tables next to a nice pond. If you're going to set up shop for the night, might as well be there.

Problem at IAD, though, is the queue wait is ridiculous - at least 60 deep for Uber, 40 plus for Lyft today. Not worth hangin' around.

Getting in and out of the DCA lot is always a high-risk adventure, and it's just as bad when you're trying to park and get out of there. I especially like the idiots who just HAVE to park rear-first.
I generally park backing in. It makes it easier to get out, especially at Reagan TNC lot.

I figure it this way: whether I am pulling into or out of the parking space my car is going into Reverse. Might as well do it going in so that when pulling out I'm not inching my ass out between two SUVs praying that the new Xchange Lease driver racing to get his base rate fare to Crystal City will slow down enough to let me out.

I am VERY good at doing the back in parking. I'm not one of those 'take 5 times to do it' types. And I don't have a backup camera either. Just years of experience

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
UPS trains their drivers TO ALWAYS back in first because you are ultimately aware of everything going on in the area, but after parking, your information is limited by stationary close vehicles (as DD said) and you don't have a perspective of other things moving around in the vicinity.

UPS's driving school is 100% about risk avoidance and best practices. If you go to a lot near their distribution centers, the only cars not backed into spots are the pre-loaders and management.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I generally park backing in. It makes it easier to get out, especially at Reagan TNC lot.

I figure it this way: whether I am pulling into or out of the parking space my car is going into Reverse. Might as well do it going in so that when pulling out I'm not inching my ass out between two SUVs praying that the new Xchange Lease driver racing to get his base rate fare to Crystal City will slow down enough to let me out.

I am VERY good at doing the back in parking. I'm not one of those 'take 5 times to do it' types. And I don't have a backup camera either. Just years of experience
You sound like an experienced commercial driver. Personally, learned that strategy when I took my Fedex driving class and I passed it on to my wife.

UPS trains their drivers TO ALWAYS back in first because you are ultimately aware of everything going on in the area, but after parking, your information is limited by stationary close vehicles (as DD said) and you don't have a perspective of other things moving around in the vicinity.

UPS's driving school is 100% about risk avoidance and best practices. If you go to a lot near their distribution centers, the only cars not backed into spots are the pre-loaders and management.
You're absolutely right! Will teach you the art of defensive driving skills.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
You sound like an experienced commercial driver. Personally, learned that strategy when I took my Fedex driving class and I passed it on to my wife.
Nope. I'm not a professional driver, just life experience. I mastered the skill before backup cameras were in every vehicle. Too many asshats almost took off the back of my car backing out. I finally figured out if I backed in then I'd be pulling out and less chance of getting clipped.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Uber has very rigorous driver training. They make you watch a 5 minute training video to make sure you are ready for the road. The video tells new drivers to refuse tips, wear a collared shirt, wait 10 minutes for a rider, and pass out free water. Uber starts the scamming day 1.0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts