Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scored a $50 tip in an unusual way last weekend and been feeling a tinge of guilt all week.

Blue Banknote Currency Cash Font

Just a tinge mind you. But I'm tempted to return the note to its giver. Here's the scenario:

1) Lyft pickup. Stop in front of house.

2) Less than a minute goes by and an attractive blonde comes out and politely asks if I can wait 5 minutes as she is not ready yet. I say "sure".

3) The wait timer expires and soon I am 7 minutes out front with no pax. Cancel, and pull forward to the intersection and pull a U-eee.

4) Lady comes out. I tell her I have already cancelled. Sorry. She takes the news very well an asks if she can still get a ride. I haven't accepted another ride so I say "ok".

5) Now her phone goes dead and she offers to pay cash. I confess cash is cool. Driving down the street we settle on terms. Anywhere around $8 is fine. She asks about Applepay and I tell her I only have VENMO. It's a friendly ride and the lady notes that it was hectic trying to get her kids ready and what not (the kinds did not board). She is nice and very demure.

6) We arrive at the destination and and she hands me a $50 bill. A fifty for an $8 ride?? She explains she has no change. I tell her BIG thanks and that I will say a prayer her day smooth's out.

But I took the money and ran! Because that's what we do, right? A windfall tip. It happens. But now that I've had a while to think about I realize that the mom really didn't want to tip that high. She was simply being honest. In a hurry and no change. I'm impressed at how cool she was. No drama. No victim playing. She covered her bets, and that is admirable.

So now, having thought it through, I'm thinking of retuning the money. I can find the house again. A knock on the door. A smile. And an envelope with the $50. Who knows, she will likely offer me the $8. More likely a $10. I'll take it. And if by chance she doesn't offer that is A OK with me. I just like the idea of having met an honest young person who doesn't try to lay trips on people. They are a rare commodity these days.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I scored a $50 tip in an unusual way last weekend and been feeling a tinge of guilt all week.

View attachment 639032

Just a tinge mind you. But I'm tempted to return the note to its giver. Here's the scenario:

1) Lyft pickup. Stop in front of house.

2) Less than a minute goes by and an attractive blonde comes out and politely asks if I can wait 5 minutes as she is not ready yet. I say "sure".

3) The wait timer expires and soon I am 7 minutes out front with no pax. Cancel, and pull forward to the intersection and pull a U-eee.

4) Lady comes out. I tell her I have already cancelled. Sorry. She takes the news very well an asks if she can still get a ride. I haven't accepted another ride so I say "ok".

5) Now her phone goes dead and she offers to pay cash. I confess cash is cool. Driving down the street we settle on terms. Anywhere around $8 is fine. She asks about Applepay and I tell her I only have VENMO. It's a friendly ride and the lady notes that it was hectic trying to get her kids ready and what not (the kinds did not board). She is nice and very demure.

6) We arrive at the destination and and she hands me a $50 bill. A fifty for an $8 ride?? She explains she has no change. I tell her BIG thanks and that I will say a prayer her day smooth's out.

But I took the money and ran! Because that's what we do, right? A windfall tip. It happens. But now that I've had a while to think about I realize that the mom really didn't want to tip that high. She was simply being honest. In a hurry and no change. I'm impressed at how cool she was. No drama. No victim playing. She covered her bets, and that is admirable.

So now, having thought it through, I'm thinking of retuning the money. I can find the house again. A knock on the door. A smile. And an envelope with the $50. Who knows, she will likely offer me the $8. More likely a $10. I'll take it. And if by chance she doesn't offer that is A OK with me. I just like the idea of having met an honest young person who doesn't try to lay trips on people. They are a rare commodity these days.
I admire your sense of ethics. You're a good man.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
So she asked you to wait 5 minutes, and you agreed... obviously this is after you've arrived so timer is running. Then you cancel when the timer is up? Sounds like she didn't get her 5 minutes...
Then you actively look for her in the mirror and are surprised she isn't pissed? And you negotiate a cash deal for $8?? So you're willing to follow all the rules until you break them.

Go give her the $50 back and apologize. You'll feel good about it (not just making things right by giving her change) and make better decisions next time.

Or just keep it laugh at your luck like most drivers would do.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So she asked you to wait 5 minutes, and you agreed... obviously this is after you've arrived so timer is running. Then you cancel when the timer is up? Sounds like she didn't get her 5 minutes...
Then you actively look for her in the mirror and are surprised she isn't pissed? And you negotiate a cash deal for $8?? So you're willing to follow all the rules until you break them.
Appreciate the reply but I can only follow your train of thought to the degree it demonstrates you did not read, or misread, my post. No worries. It happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Disgusted Driver

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Appreciate the reply but I can only follow your train of thought to the degree it demonstrates you did not read, or misread, my post. No worries. It happens.
You said you "negotiated" an $8 cash ride after cancelling on her. And felt guilty that you took the only bill she had in payment. There's nothing more to it than that. Rid yourself of the guilt and give the money back. Or just do what you do. The universe isn't going to give two shits.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
9,198 Posts
Wait and see what lyft does first...

Like jot down where she lives and wait A WEEK, yes a week for any possible claims to filter through the system. The last thing you need to do is hand over $42 in cash then get hit with a "claw back" from lift for another $42 when she reports you for this mess.

And I'm going to remind you that what you did was very very stupid. If you had an accident, her lawyer would be coming after you, and your insurance company would leave you hanging in the wind.

Just shut up.. this happens in the taxis all the time.. just keep your... mouth.. shut...

her phone was dead and that's all she could pay with, she might still might come after you.. Keep your mouth shut.. shut shut shut..

You saved her ass, she was stranded and there was nothing else she could have done. Just take it and shut up.

It's karma for something sometime somewhere else, for you being stupid and taking her when you know you shouldn't have.

Without stalking the customer, or getting yourself fired there's nothing you can do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts