Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I really need some help. I just moved here like I mentioned earlier this year and I just started driving uber here in minneapolis a couple of days ago. Figuring out my way around the city has been a nightmare lol. Also I am not making any good money as I expected maybe because of navigation issues or because I have no idea what times and areas to start or where to hang around to pick up fares. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Guys I really need some help. I just moved here like I mentioned earlier this year and I just started driving uber here in minneapolis a couple of days ago. Figuring out my way around the city has been a nightmare lol. Also I am not making any good money as I expected maybe because of navigation issues or because I have no idea what times and areas to start or where to hang around to pick up fares. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Go back through previous posts and you will see conservations people had about where and when they have the best success. A little homework will go along way. Don't mean to sound harsh, but because of the revolving door of drivers newbie always come on here asking the same questions without reading past posts... Lots of luck. MPLS is one of the better markets to drive yet. (my option only)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just moved here last summer after driving in Denver. MPLS is a better market then Denver. Do you have a hard time following the gps? I had no idea where I was at or going my first month, but the gps always got me there. You'll get a ping no matter where you start at in the metro. Just go where they take you. I don't drive to a special area to start a shift

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go back through previous posts and you will see conservations people had about where and when they have the best success. A little homework will go along way. Don't mean to sound harsh, but because of the revolving door of drivers newbie always come on here asking the same questions without reading past posts... Lots of luck. MPLS is one of the better markets to drive yet. (my option only)
Thanks for the advice buddy

I just moved here last summer after driving in Denver. MPLS is a better market then Denver. Do you have a hard time following the gps? I had no idea where I was at or going my first month, but the gps always got me there. You'll get a ping no matter where you start at in the metro. Just go where they take you. I don't drive to a special area to start a shift
Yep, hard time following the gps lol; lots of freeways along with that the gps gets disoriented most of the time.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Thanks for the advice buddy

Yep, hard time following the gps lol; lots of freeways along with that the gps gets disoriented most of the time.
Do you have your map set to navigate "north up"? If so, try turning that off. For me it is very disorienting to have the map pointing north when I am actually going south.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do you have navigation problem or GPS problem ? Navigation problem means a Google Map or Waze or iPhone map does not give the correct route, turn the wrong way for example. GPS problem means your location is not accurate.

Anyway, you can also sign up for Amazon Flex or/and Amazon Prime Now to make extra money during the down time (non-rush hour for example).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have navigation problem or GPS problem ? Navigation problem means a Google Map or Waze or iPhone map does not give the correct route, turn the wrong way for example. GPS problem means your location is not accurate.

Anyway, you can also sign up for Amazon Flex or/and Amazon Prime Now to make extra money during the down time (non-rush hour for example).
Thanks, im working on the navigation problem actually. Amazon flex rejected me for no reason, i read all the requirements and I meet all of it, any solution?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Do you have your map set to navigate "north up"? If so, try turning that off. For me it is very disorienting to have the map pointing north when I am actually going south.
Interesting, I always have mine pointing north so I have a general idea of what direction I need to go and what direction I am going. Especially If I have to turn on to a road and Google for some reason wants me to go the wrong way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks, im working on the navigation problem actually. Amazon flex rejected me for no reason, i read all the requirements and I meet all of it, any solution?
It may help to have an Amazon account but you probably already have. It may not hurt to re-apply.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Draw a line from airport to downtown - if you sit in the middle of that, you'll stay busy - a lot of them are short trips, but it'll get you started - I find when I get a trip to the burbs (or from the burbs where I live) , it ends up being profitable back to airport or downtown (i.e. you probably wont want to sit in uptown , once you get a feel for it all - sitting downtown is pretty safe for decent trips, you get min fares too, but a lot out of downtown.). Southern, western burbs (Edina, St Louis Park, Eden Prairie) all yield good trips and you can stay busy there - many will go downtown or airport - once at airport, head toward MPLS on 5, get off on Bloomington ave, park in park and ride lots and wait (unless you are 25 of 30 or something in the queue, that can be a long wait..) U of M is great for minimum fare trips too, but they suck.

I got an airport to Rochester the other night - $140 with the 2* surge. Worth coming home empty (Uber turns the destination filter off in Rochester .. GRRRR. and Lyft didn't produce....)

·
Registered
724 Posts
My older phone had problem in downtown Minneapolis with tall buildings therefore weak GPS signals. My new Samsung S7 has no problem. May be it's time to get a new phone.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
If your body can handle it I would actually recommend driving 9PM - 9AM everyday.

You'll have people going out, going home, bar close, early morning airport and people going to work.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Keep the app offline unless your pulled over. Don't be distracted while on the freeway especially in the fast lane and you still don't know the area. Once you start getting familiar you can be online but keep close to the exits in case you need to exit quickly. Good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Study main arteries between trips. I use my iPad, but I think a paper map would be better.

Solve your technical issues. Use a Bluetooth ear pies for directions. Reinitialize your phone. Upgrade it if it's old. Waze sometimes calls turns too late on my android nexus 5x. Not such an old phone, but google will stop supporting it soon.

Drive for Lyft too. They have unlimited destination filters.

Uber has a page

Hotspots

Wonder where your riders are heading around the Twin Cities? Head towards these locations for a higher chance of catching a trip! Based on anonymized Uber rider data from the last month, here are the top destinations:

• MSP Airport
  • Mall of America
  • Cowboy Slim's - Uptown
  • Cowboy Jacks - Downtown Minneapolis
  • Target Field
  • Hilton Minneapolis - Downtown Minneapolis
  • Hyatt Regency - Downtown Minneapolis
  • Surly Beer Hall
  • Stella's Fish Cafe
  • W Minneapolis - The Foshay
For monthly event demand, check out the events page curated by your Uber Minnesota team!​

I use waze 100% lol
Consider google maps since It tells you what lane to be in. Waze is great, but it doesn't give you lane info. Tons of interchanges near airport. i screwed up trips there plenty before I got familiar with it.

Turn compass arrow on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts