Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cancelled 3 NY rides this morning. 1.9x, 1.7x, and 2.1x...traffic from montclair area to manhattan....1 hour 45 min. Sorry Ubs, but its not worth my time! Now, if we are talking about a nyc ride at shore rate plus surge, then I believe its worth it. Make it happen Uber!

The last one must have been cancelled on prior because they called me right away begging that I take them. Sure...uber rate plus $100 bucks....hello, are you still there? Haha

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Cancelled 3 NY rides this morning. 1.9x, 1.7x, and 2.1x...traffic from montclair area to manhattan....1 hour 45 min. Sorry Ubs, but its not worth my time!
Gotta agree here, my minimum surge requirement into NYC on X used to be 2.0x, but I had to up it to 2.5x and above lately. Just not worth it unless you can net at least $100 after gas & tolls. Caught a 2.9 X surge ride from directly across the street from my house to midtown last week. Netted approx $150 after Goober took their cut. Was glad I waited it out to peak surge capacity.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I feel 2-2.5x would make it worth it for me as far as earnings go. Personally though, I hate the stress of driving in NYC so much I don't think I'd do it now for 5x.

A year or so ago I took a ride into Manhattan. Pax destination was a couple of miles from the tunnel, IIRC it took 30-45 minutes battling through traffic to drive 2 miles back to the tunnel, I made up my mind I wasn't doing that anymore.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I feel 2-2.5x would make it worth it for me as far as earnings go. Personally though, I hate the stress of driving in NYC so much I don't think I'd do it now for 5x.
I'd do POOL trips in & outta NYC all day if they were guaranteed at 5x surge...:D

But I get ya, it is stressful driving in & outta midtown...;)

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I don't know if they can, legally. NJ prohibits discrimination based on destination. Different rates based on destination would count, I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I think making them NYC rate would make more sense, then it's the same rate as the destination. AFAIK NYC and shore rates are pretty similar.
They should be NYC rate. The per minute rate is what's important on an NYC ride considering how much gridlock you're gonna sit in. $1.65 mile and 35c a minute is much better than $1.77 a mile and 16c a minute.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I don't know if they can, legally. NJ prohibits discrimination based on destination. Different rates based on destination would count, I would think.
They just need to throw a surge multiplier on NYCs by default.. that's it. Anyways it wouldn't be illegal, they already admitted upfront pricing is based on race, religion, politics, ethnicity, alcohol levels, pick up, drop off, how much you tipped last time, and the list only grows from there lol!

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I raised this possibility on another thread. From what I can tell the destination discrimination thing is pretty vague, I'm not even sure it's been properly defined yet.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The only thing I've ever seen on the matter is the NJ rideshare bill. That was a while back, but from what I recall it was pretty vague.
That clause in the rideshare bill is a regurgitated version of the "NJ Law Against Discrimination" it's a common NJ business law regarding protected classes like women and minorities to criminalize racism and similar, not for protecting privileged entitled people who want a ride to NYC at ****** wages because they're above taking the train and too cheap to pay for car service.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
That clause in the rideshare bill is a regurgitated version of the "NJ Law Against Discrimination" it's a common NJ business law regarding protected classes like women and minorities to criminalize racism and similar, not for protecting privileged entitled people who want a ride to NYC at ****** wages because they're above taking the train and too cheap to pay for car service.
The fact that a laws intent was to help the disadvantaged won't stop others from (rightly or wrongly) taking advantage of it once it's in effect, unless of course those people/situations are specifically excluded from it.

I really don't know if charging higher rates to NYC would be included in the law or not, but ironically it could cause less destination discrimination.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

A year or so ago I took a ride into Manhattan. Pax destination was a couple of miles from the tunnel, IIRC it took 30-45 minutes battling through traffic to drive 2 miles back to the tunnel, I made up my mind I wasn't doing that anymore.
All that and you also have the Red Light Cameras that are set to trigger very very swiftly. One ticket and you lost more than a days pay plus points on your license. Not good at all

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bingo-

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Do you think they really care what you think the rates should be. Its the pax they care about and will set the rates to undercut LYFT to gain revenue. Its a dog eat dog world out there competing for pax.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My only rides to NYC have all been shore rate and at night. I love them .
Bad part is coming back and swatting away all the 87 cent flies and mosquitos.
Shameful they are that low and people ride around working for that. Like Kanye said Slavery is a choice.
I can't stand him or his music but it applies when you drive for base

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.