Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just hit 100 trips yesterday maintaining an overall rating of 4.9. At about 40-60 trips I dipped to about 4.7 and have steadily rose since then.

Thought I'd make a post on the things I've learnt along the way which has helped me maintain a good rating and become efficient with my time to maximise my earnings.

Most of this has probably been posted on here before (I got some of these tips from other threads myself):

Tips for maximising earnings and minimising dead-heading:
-
The main goal to maximise earn is to maximise the amount of time a passenger is in your car. Period. Doesn't matter about short/ long trips as long as someone is in your car its a good thing. Do whatever gets this happening the most.
- Don't bother chasing fare guarantees or surge pricing. In the early days I made the mistake trying to follow surge pricing and fare guarantees. These just waste your time and fuel dead-heading to these areas only for the surge to end or to not get enough trips per hour to satisfy the fare guarantee.
- Stay offline until you get to a popular area, I live almost an hour from SYD CBD, I use to make the mistake of going online as soon as I would leave my driveway, due to the lack of drivers where I live usually on my way into the city I'd get a trip that would be 10-20 min from where I am then would only be 10-15 min trip. By this time I would have wasted almost an hour taking me off route just to make $10. Now my plan of attack is to research upcoming events or when in doubt head to Bondi/ Syd CBD stay offline until I arrive. From there start accepting trips.
- Start with a full tank of fuel, refuel once I'm done driving for uber before switching back personal use. I then submit the second receipt as my fuel expense for uber. This makes it much easier to track fuel costs.
- I setup a separate bank account for uber related income and expenses only. I put my uber income into the account and withdraw for uber expenses. Once I month I pay myself from this account. (Uber is my second job so I don't require the cash right away).
- Use Partner People (do a search on this forum or google for more info) I'm making so much more just by becoming tax efficient in my claims and reducing time spent on working it all out

Tips for a clean car:
-
Carry towels, anti bacterial wipes, tissues and hand sanitiser. Tissues in the car for the passengers everything else in the boot. While these things not required all the time, they are a must when in need of an emergency clean due to a dirty passenger messing your car. And you will never know when this is going to happen.
- Car seat covers, your an idiot if you don't have these already. I got leather covers from super cheap auto which covers both front, back and headrest for $100 total. I also got these 'wet weather' car mats from kmart for $20 they are rubber and in the shape of a bucket with sides, great to catch dirt, mud, sand etc. On car clean day I take them out stick them under the hose and dry. These have made cleaning the car a breeze, I had a passenger have a glitter explosion in the back and it was a simple wipe with the above mentioned wipes and I was good to go again.
- I use to clean whenever I thought the car needed it while trying to dodge the weather which wasted so much time. Now I have a set cleaning day (Sunday) Every Sunday regardless of the weather or forecast I clean my car. Sometimes if I'm being lazy and the rain is really bad I'll just do the inside as passengers don't notice a dirty car in the rain.

Tips for a 5 star rating:
-
Keep the car clean
- Have a phone charger
- Have water (even though 99% of passengers don't take it) I don't bother with mints though (don't want to risk sticky lollies getting in my car)
- Communication! Always check the destination the passenger entered is correct and READ THE FULL ADDRESS BACK TO THEM BEFORE STARTING. I've gotten myself in trouble a few times from not doing this properly. If there is traffic or you know about road works along the route give the options to the passenger like 'we can go the regular way but there is a lot of traffic would you like me to try and go around it?' Some are happy to have you go through the traffic, others want to try and go around. Make sure you ask this instead of judge yourself as some passengers get angry thinking you are taking the scenic route for more cash if you don't say anything.
- Play some good tunes, I get so many compliments on my music selection. I use the spotify chill house playlist (saved offline to minimise data usage), I've found it appeals to most passengers. I recently bought a second phone (one for uber app + maps) my personal one for spotify and calls. If a passenger wants to pick music I just hand them the phone and let them put whatever on, they love this. If I'm driving on a party night around nightclubs I may switch to some EDM as most the crowds I get at this time love it.
- Watch out for the couples who sit in the back seat. For some reason, these usually are the ones that sting me with a poor rating for some reason. I'm still trying to work out exactly what it is, but I just make sure to pay extra attention to these passengers making sure they are well attended to, which has minimised this recently.

Tips for a successful pickup:
-
Now Uber is legal, print off an Uber logo and put it on your dash (got this idea from when I was in the states) helps the passengers find you
- Look at the address as well as the pin, if its a building, the passenger may not be anywhere near the pin.
- If its a busy area or you are having trouble finding the passenger, pull over and get out. This also is good because you can open the door as they approach you.
- Call, uber say try not to call but when in doubt call, it's usually much easier to coordinate pickups when you call the passenger.

They are my tips, others may have different experiences so take them, test them if you would like but your results may vary. I'm always looking for ways to improve so if anyone has other tips post away :)

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Lots of great tips. Thanks.

- Look at the address as well as the pin, if its a building, the passenger may not be anywhere near the pin.
I've been caught by that one a couple of times. Usually happens when the rider books from their office at the back of the building then walks to the front door. Uber app navigation sends you to the street closest to the pin, not the street at the front door.

Car seat covers. If you have seat-mounted side air bags, be careful to find compatible seat covers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I recently bought a second phone
When you're not handing it out to passengers, run the Uber Passenger app.
You'd be surprised how many more jobs you can pick up when you're aware of your competition. If you're on a main road, where there are 5 other Uber cars within a few hundred meters longitudinally , then move 100 meters laterally. This increases your catchment area (closest car get the job).

·
Registered
752 Posts
These are very good tips. I don't provide water. Sorry this is already a discount ride service. You don't get extras with budget pricing. My customers have never asked for it.

I recommend getting a scented air freshener. I suggest the febreze scents that attach to your air vent. Look for something kind of floral. I get so many compliments on my car smelling good, in addition to being clean.

Don't try for overly masculine scents. Guy passengers don't care about this. Its the females who care, so you want something that appeals to them. If the guy is out on a date with his girl he is looking to make sure she is happy now so he can be happy later.. Avoid the green Gain scent, its too overpowering for the females.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car seat covers. If you have seat-mounted side air bags, be careful to find compatible seat covers.
Yeah good point to make. I made sure the ones I got were air-bag compatible, for others reading this definitely make sure they are air bag compatible. When I was looking I found most the quality covers were, but still always check.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Also
If your pax asks to be dropped in an illegal or dangerous spot, just explain that you'll just go around the corner and drop them there. For their safety of course...
And Banana, when you get to 1000 rides, let's see what your thoughts are and if they've changed at all.
Re heading to CBD with app off, we all know where the edges of the core are, so maybe go live about 10-15 kn from CBD and see what happens...
Btw, I'm sitting in a shopping center now, outside a Kmart so will check out the mats you've mentioned.
Thanks and Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Having bottled water in your car comes in handy if the rider messes the car somehow and you need to do an emergency clean. Just be sure to take photos before you start cleaning and afterwards submit a cleaning fee request.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having bottled water in your car comes in handy if the rider messes the car somehow and you need to do an emergency clean. Just be sure to take photos before you start cleaning and afterwards submit a cleaning fee request.
This.
Actually needed to use my water for this exact reason today..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts