Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my notice from Uber telling me to expect to be "VERY" busy during the hurricane this week end. I assume we are going to be busy because all sane people will not risk their cars to drowning the engine or having limbs smashed into their cars or the increased odds of having a wreck.

I have never gone through a natural weather alert as a Uber Driver before but I assume it is safe to assume that Uber doesn't increase the fares to make the risk more reasonable?

My guess is that it will be the usual surge myth program, the one that shows a RED surge all around me but when I get my ride it seems to of just missed the surge.

So without an added motivation to risk damage to my auto, I think I will stay home and watch TV.

The thought of having doors opened and shut in torrential downpours and having soaked clothing and shoes dripping all over my leather seats and floors for $5 a ride and an hour a trip due to driving conditions doesn't turn my Happy Face on :(

After all I live on a Peninsula and with the rising sea swells the water will wash straight across.....wait, since it is a Peninsula it can't wash across it will just rise . Ahhh you get to drive in water over your bumper and wait for that one little engine miss that causes your car to suck the water over the exhaust into the engine and cease it forever. Ahhhhh the joys, the blissful joy.

Thank you Uber for making the decision so EZ

·
Banned
919 Posts
I was going to make a joke about going out there and uber on But I guess they want you to drive. Let me still give it a stab as I bring out my inner Uber ******* out...
"With Hurricane coming in and smashing the East coast, we see the potential to make life changing money. Please disregard local laws and rules set up (why not? We sure do!) and do whatever it takes to get to that rider. We hope a 10 foot wave doesn't wash you out to the ocean but rest assured, our insurance will be covering your car (but first get your regular insurance to cover it or pay James River a $1000 deductible). So you can make more money, we will be limiting surges to 1.2x. Remember, less cost in fares means more life changing money in your pocket.....if you live."

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The surge will more than be likely capped off at 2-3x as has happened many times in the past here in Houston. Uber has already received a lot of flak for raising prices during natural disasters and tragic events (Australia).

The surge will stay on as normal until flash flood Advisory's and other weather alerts start to flow through the area. Of course, you guys are acting like it is the end of the world, so surge's may be capped off already.

·
Registered
311 Posts
they definitely capped surge here in charleston today. yesterday during the flooding, the peninsula saw 4.5 regularly. today, the highest i saw was on isle of palms at 2.9, which was a red flag for me. 2.8, 3.4, 3.6 are normal surges on iop friday night. but 2."9" looked weird.

·
24,275 Posts
The thought of having doors opened and shut in torrential downpours and having soaked clothing and shoes dripping all over my leather seats and floors for $5 a ride and an hour a trip due to driving conditions doesn't turn my Happy Face on :(
You mean "leather seats and carpeted floors", correct? Do be aware that constantly wet carpet rapidly gains a positive funk that will not go away. It is as bad as ralph or stale beer. This is why I tell those people who swear that UberXmobiles are so much nicer than taxicabs that they should come back to me in three years on that. Funny thing, I was optimistic. UberX users already are complaining about Uberhoopties.

Please disregard local laws and rules set up (why not? We sure do!)
The problem, Travis, is this: while you have that which is necessary to make "arrangements" with the Authorities on these local laws, rules and ordinances, we, the drivers, lack that same thing.

Reactions: phillipzx3

·
Banned
919 Posts
they definitely capped surge here in charleston today. yesterday during the flooding, the peninsula saw 4.5 regularly. today, the highest i saw was on isle of palms at 2.9, which was a red flag for me. 2.8, 3.4, 3.6 are normal surges on iop friday night. but 2."9" looked weird.
By any chance was the hurricane made up by the media?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hurricane really isn't the threat around here. But it's presence in the Atlantic is keeping other systems from moving off shore.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm wondering if this surge capping can be used in the independent contactor vs employee lawsuit. We're risking our lives, in theory, in this weather but can't get as much as we normally would. It's totally fine out here and only busy because of the game. Many industries would have Hazzard pay for dangerous conditions

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Just got my notice from Uber telling me to expect to be "VERY" busy during the hurricane this week end. I assume we are going to be busy because all sane people will not risk their cars to drowning the engine or having limbs smashed into their cars or the increased odds of having a wreck.

I have never gone through a natural weather alert as a Uber Driver before but I assume it is safe to assume that Uber doesn't increase the fares to make the risk more reasonable?

My guess is that it will be the usual surge myth program, the one that shows a RED surge all around me but when I get my ride it seems to of just missed the surge.

So without an added motivation to risk damage to my auto, I think I will stay home and watch TV.

After all I live on a Peninsula and with the rising sea swells the water will wash straight across.....wait, since it is a Peninsula it can't wash across it will just rise . Ahhh you get to drive in water over your bumper and wait for that one little engine miss that causes your car to suck the water over the exhaust into the engine and cease it forever. Ahhhhh the joys, the blissful joy.

Thank you Uber for making the decision so EZ
As Horace Greeley once advised: "Go west young man, go west."

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I wonder if Uber will send a notice to west coast drivers if there's a big earthquake there. That'll probably be a nightmare for insurance.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I'm wondering if this surge capping can be used in the independent contactor vs employee lawsuit. We're risking our lives, in theory, in this weather but can't get as much as we normally would. It's totally fine out here and only busy because of the game. Many industries would have Hazzard pay for dangerous conditions
You are not risking anything, no one is forcing you to drive, it's the same post in this forum, over and over again.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Well, it does give new meaning to the phrase "STORM SURGE".

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It's really sad that Uber thinks of natural disasters as another way to make money by exploiting their drivers and passengers.
To be fair, so do UberX drivers. Without surge rates, you can't make money ( when all is said and done). So....you chase the surge dragon..just like a drug addict.

Uber isn't exploiting anyone. You VOLUNTEERED to use their app. They didn't force anyone.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Uber isn't exploiting anyone.
BS

There's hardly a driver out there that is operating under the same agreement they entered into when they signed up for Uber. Uber is indeed exploiting drivers, manipulating them into driving for remuneration that doesn't even cover the drivers operating costs.

UberXploitation (c)2015 Michael - Cleveland

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
BS

There's hardly a driver out there that is operating under the same agreement they entered into when they signed up for Uber. Uber is indeed exploiting drivers, manipulating them into driving for remuneration that doesn't even cover the drivers operating costs.

UberXploitation (c)2015 Michael - Cleveland
The original intent was "ride sharing" which we all knew was BS. So now you guys are upset because Uber changed the "rules" to take advantage of people? Just what did you expect from these people, a good job?

Like the military, you signed up for it. Deal with it or leave.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Just what did you expect from these people, a good job?
Yeah, how very silly of the labor force to expect to believe what a company promised in their recruiting advertising and marketing:
"Make $90,000 a year"
uh- huh.

At least when the military advertises "SEE THE WORLD" and "ADVANCE YOUR EDUCATION AND OPPORTUNITIES" they aren't lying.
The military is, well, THE MILITARY.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yeah, how very silly of the labor force to expect to believe what a company promised in their recruiting advertising and marketing:
"Make $90,000 a year"
uh- huh.

At least when the military advertises "SEE THE WORLD" and "ADVANCE YOUR EDUCATION AND OPPORTUNITIES" they aren't lying.
The military is, well, THE MILITARY.
Most that joined the military where those that barely graduated high school and they didn't know what else to do with them. Go ahead and fire away but some of them are my relatives. One is a retired Sargeant that is a legend in his own mind and truly believes he was the leader of the Civil War but hadn't even been born yet nor fought in any war.

Uber did place some false advertising though.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts