Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That was driving about 60 hrs week all year=$10 hr. And by 60 hrs that means all hours driving in car for Uber (commuting, deadheading, traffic). And my AGI was $6,000 due to 3 car purchases and sales.
So you can drive around for Uber and think you're being busy and productive, or be too busy to know if you are, but it is NOT a lucrative paying job plus it destroys your body.

I had to pay $4,000 self employment tax. There is no way to avoid that even with deductions.
Cpa said if set up LLC can avoid paying self employment tax.
I have good referral of sf cpa experienced doing uber drivers, only $150. (Van Ness Ave, free easy pkg lot). Moderators won't let me post contact info, so message me privately and i will send

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
60 hours a week should net you a gross of 128k (unless your a moron).

Your net should be 96k.

60 hours a week of driving should equate to about 1500 miles a week. 72k miles in a year (this is without a commute! commuting miles should be put as business miles mostly keep in mind, its a gray area). SMD = 53.5 cents per mile. 72000x.535 = $38520 tax deduction.

So your taxes should be 96000-38520 = 57480. 57480*.3 = 17k.

So you have taxes of about 17k for a net income of 96k.

96k - 17k = 79000 after taxes.

If you worked 60 hours a week like you said, that is 2880 total hours in a year.

79000/2880 = $27.43 an hour.

$27.43/hr after taxes.

Btw, its kind of crazy how you three posted within the same hour lol. Its so obvious youre forum multis spewing bullshit.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I think a per hour rate calc is futile with this BS job. Cash flow is a better way to look at it. How much spendable cash can you generate per day or per week that gets you to your next milestone in life.

From the time you leave the driveway you have already lost money.... already behind.

The rates are too low for any driver to equate their time with a per hour profit figure. There is no profit to the driver. Period.

Get what you can and get the F out!

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Aharm most top tier black operators are grossing about what you are stating per luxury vehicle and are putting in closer to seventy to eighty hours.

My top person grossed $170k.

All my people have thirty years experience.

Yes, this site needs to be cleansed of those that have multiple aliases at the IP.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Aharm most top tier black operators are grossing about what you are stating per luxury vehicle and are putting in closer to seventy to eighty hours.

Yes, this site needs to be cleansed of those that have multiple aliases at the IP.
70-80hrs. What kind of life is that? Work, eat, sleep. Isn't it simpler to just die now and cut out the middle part before they get into an accident and become too maimed.

Reactions: Yomann

·
Banned
2,038 Posts

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

·
Registered
491 Posts
60 hours a week should net you a gross of 128k (unless your a moron).

Your net should be 96k.

60 hours a week of driving should equate to about 1500 miles a week. 72k miles in a year (this is without a commute! commuting miles should be put as business miles mostly keep in mind, its a gray area). SMD = 53.5 cents per mile. 72000x.535 = $38520 tax deduction.

So your taxes should be 96000-38520 = 57480. 57480*.3 = 17k.

So you have taxes of about 17k for a net income of 96k.

96k - 17k = 79000 after taxes.

If you worked 60 hours a week like you said, that is 2880 total hours in a year.

79000/2880 = $27.43 an hour.

$27.43/hr after taxes.

Btw, its kind of crazy how you three posted within the same hour lol. Its so obvious youre forum multis spewing bullshit.
Thanks for taking time to do analysis. His $10/hour seemed like a BS number.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts

Lol what are you talking about man. 60 hours a week is easy 1.8k (30 an hour). Realistically its more like 35 an hour after incentives/pdp, so more like 2100, but in my calculations i rounded down to 2000 to be fair. You can still make it 1800-1900 and it would come out to 25/hr after taxes no prob.

If i look at all my statements, it comes out average 35/hr after incentives everytime. Even when i work east bay its up there. You work all smart hours and youre hitting 40/hr. (i dont and i still hit 35/hr average).

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
None of my people have a single incident. You will find that most of premium Black drivers have perfect records or at most one point. They would not be able to be commercially insured.

The TNCs have flooded the market and purposely run below operating costs.

This has happened about a dozen times since the 1930s.

Government always steps in.

No, no one presently likes the hours involved.

All my people work on multiple things at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
A full time driver in SF is hitting all the peak hours everyday (7-9am, 6-8pm, 1-2am), and working an extra 30 hours on top it is 40/hr net income before taxes.

Dont listen to this bullshit post from OP.

None of my people have a single incident. You will find that most of premium Black drivers have perfect records or at most one point. They would not be able to be commercially insured.

The TNCs have flooded the market and purposely run below operating costs.

This has happened about a dozen times since the 1930s.

Government always steps in.

No, no one presently likes the hours involved.

All my people work on multiple things at the same time.
Lol bro wtf are you even talking about.

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Aharm, no one driving Unlicensed for a TNC is hitting the numbers that you are talking about, not even close to a 128k.

Uber uses data scientists and ex-personnel from GS to make sure that you do not and this not including the person they get advise from at MS for this specific subject matter.

Your math, accounting and taxation are also incorrect.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Aharm, no one driving Unlicensed for a TNC is hitting the numbers that you are talking about, not even close to a 128k.

Uber uses data scientists and ex-personnel from GS to make sure that you do not and this not including the person they get advise from at MS for this specific subject matter.

Your math, accounting and taxation are also incorrect.
hi biggerdog.

do you think $85k gross with $32k net is correct? About $50k in operating costs and taxes?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Perhaps Aharm should post his tax return :) before offering up alternative facts. The numbers from the OP (despite the poorly picked user id) are probably spot on for most drivers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Perhaps Aharm should post his tax return :) before offering up alternative facts. The numbers from the OP (despite the poorly picked user id) are probably spot on for most drivers.
They may be for most markets, but Aharm is correct when speaking about San Francisco (which the OP is listed as driving in). I've driven part-time for Uber for the last 1.5 years, and average $33/hr before gas/expenses/taxes. Again, this isn't even working peak hours during the week days.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've driven part-time for Uber for the last 1.5 years, and average $33/hr before gas/expenses/taxes.
This is about your hourly rate AFTER gas and expenses. Driving part-time is bound to be more lucrative than driving full time. Driving 60 hours per week is more than full time. A full time job in the USA is 40 - 47 hrs per week. And if you're in the car, with the intention of transporting riders, then you are working whether you are logged in or not. Getting gas?: Working. Getting car washed?: Working. Coming back from San Jose without a passenger but don't want to end up further out so you're offline?: Working. Headed to Costco to pickup groceries on the way home?: Potentially working (depends on tax advisor but commuting to/from say Stockton to SF may in fact be a tax write off as your working as an independent contractor may require you to travel to the city, so no one will care about a brief stop along the way).

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is about your hourly rate AFTER gas and expenses. Driving part-time is bound to be more lucrative than driving full time. Driving 60 hours per week is more than full time. A full time job in the USA is 40 - 47 hrs per week. And if you're in the car, with the intention of transporting riders, then you are working whether you are logged in or not. Getting gas?: Working. Getting car washed?: Working. Coming back from San Jose without a passenger but don't want to end up further out so you're offline?: Working. Headed to Costco to pickup groceries on the way home?: Potentially working (depends on tax advisor but commuting to/from say Stockton to SF may in fact be a tax write off as your working as an independent contractor may require you to travel to the city, so no one will care about a brief stop along the way).
After gas and expenses my hourly was $27.84. After taxes it was $25.33 (and because of my full-time job, this income was taxed higher than most drivers would be).

As a part-time driver, I miss out on the rush hour surges/boosts (6-9am and 4-7pm) since I'm generally at or on my way to work. Part-time drivers are also less likely to hit the larger incentives for power driver bonuses since they cannot devote as many hours to hit the required trips.

Anyone saying they are making $10/hour in SF must be driving in the East Bay. It's just not possible.

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
hi biggerdog.

do you think $85k gross with $32k net is correct? About $50k in operating costs and taxes?
Difficult to tell without going through actuals. Without seeing the numbers, the deductions seems a little high for UberX.

Remember that none of these numbers includes a material event or actual risk.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
They may be for most markets, but Aharm is correct when speaking about San Francisco (which the OP is listed as driving in). I've driven part-time for Uber for the last 1.5 years, and average $33/hr before gas/expenses/taxes. Again, this isn't even working peak hours during the week days.
That's the key... You can make much more per hour working part time hours.

Speaking of hourly, I've been logged on for over an hour now without a ping.. I'm at a whopping $0/hour today!!

After gas and expenses my hourly was $27.84. After taxes it was $25.33 (and because of my full-time job, this income was taxed higher than most drivers would be).

As a part-time driver, I miss out on the rush hour surges/boosts (6-9am and 4-7pm) since I'm generally at or on my way to work. Part-time drivers are also less likely to hit the larger incentives for power driver bonuses since they cannot devote as many hours to hit the required trips.

Anyone saying they are making $10/hour in SF must be driving in the East Bay. It's just not possible.
Your mileage writeoff with Uber would actually decrease your taxable income from you W-2 job, not increase it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts