Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another concert at Fenway Park tonight!

I was strolling in the area Saturday night after the second consecutive night of the Dead and Company concert, and it seemed many were still looking for cabs and Ubers on that outbound side of Beacon Street...near Uberburger and Bruegger's. Seemed a few pax waited awhile and had to explain in detail their locale on the phone with driver.

Some seemed quite rowdy...maybe Paul will bring a mellower crowd.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Friday, I took 2 Grateful Dead fans home to Norwood and believe it or not, I got pinged from GILLETTE freaking stadium. I then wound up taking 2 Luke Bryant fans to Providence. Ugh, took me off the road for 1.5 hours, way too many miles and way too little pay but at least the fans were really nice folks not the obnoxious drunks I got tonight.
I hope they were surge rides especially the Gillette one.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've started limiting the jobs I take based on travel time to the pickup. I figure 6 minutes is about the max travel time given what I think any job will be worth on average. I'll accept the ride, go into Waze, see what that says for travel time, and then cancel if the contract is not profitable.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I've started limiting the jobs I take based on travel time to the pickup. I figure 6 minutes is about the max travel time given what I think any job will be worth on average. I'll accept the ride, go into Waze, see what that says for travel time, and then cancel if the contract is not profitable.
You sound like an independent contractor. :)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Wow.Maybe it would be more profitable if uber opened brick and mortar locations throughout the city and had a staging area for drivers. Make the customers come to uber not the other way around.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
You're just as whacky as uberforpresident.
Hmmmm.
I wasn't being funny. The Wow! Was for Duanes comment about not driving more than 6 minutes to pick up a pax. It can take you 6 minutes to go a quarter of a mile in the city sometimes. In my opinion he has a ridiculously strict expectation of proximity to his pax.

And I miss uberforpresident. He cracked me up. Maybe his marathon uber drive took him to lands beyond the reach of the Internet.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It can take you 6 minutes to go a quarter of a mile in the city sometimes.
There's about 3 places that can happen and not everyday. Do the math. You have the wait for ping time, the drive time to pickup, the wait time for pax, and the job time. You have to estimate the expected value of the job and, given the non billable time, set your own minimum requirements.

In your scenario you have 6 minutes for drive to pickup. Say 2 minute wait for customer. If it's a one mile job that's another 24 minutes. Then throw in 2 minutes for the ping. That adds up to 34 minutes for a $5 job, Uber takes 25%. Are you kidding me? You should not be in business for yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
There's about 3 places that can happen and not everyday. Do the math. You have the wait for ping time, the drive time to pickup, the wait time for pax, and the job time. You have to estimate the expected value of the job and, given the non billable time, set your own minimum requirements.

In your scenario you have 6 minutes for drive to pickup. Say 2 minute wait for customer. If it's a one mile job that's another 24 minutes. Then throw in 2 minutes for the ping. That adds up to 34 minutes for a $5 job, Uber takes 25%. Are you kidding me? You should not be in business for yourself.
I'm not gonna turn this into a Battle Royal of back and forth your logic vs. my logic.

Question...How do you know the pax destination before you pick them up? Would you refuse to drive 8 minutes to a pick up only to find out later somehow that the trip turned out to be a $50 ride?

When I get a call for my services I can ask where the customer is going. If it's out of my war for short money I pass. Give them another number or just say I'm busy far from their location.

With uber I simply only drive when there is a surge[ Not genius stuff or first person to do this I know]

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just don't know where the situation you describe occurs except for Tremont St on Saturday nights. Not even Hanover St gets that bad. Where does this happen?

The baseline income is the money you can make just picking and dropping around the city. Only your experience would tell you what the probability is of a job being worth more than that. A $50 out of the city isn't worth as much as $50 in jobs done within Rt. 128.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
A $50 out of the city isn't worth as much as $50 in jobs done within Rt. 128.
Sure that would be true mostly but there are variables. What if the city is dead and it would take 3times longer to earn the $50 within the city as opposed to taking the long trip
I just think 6 minutes is an extreme limit for a pick up distance. If your average speed in the city is 30 mph what you are saying is you won't drive more than 3 miles for a pick up. That kind of narrows your options. And just how do you make these calculations of yours when it's busy. Drop a pax and ping there's another you have 15 seconds to decide if it's worth it. Good luck to you in future endeavors make lots of money by whatever method works for you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I wish I had access to the Uber data for 2015 for all rides inside Rt. 128. The first thing I would figure out would be the average fare. That would be the EMV, expected monetary value, of a ride request. Then I'd figure the average wait time between request. I would then figure out what I could make per hour and then compare that to what I think I need my annual gross revenue to be. I figure I need to gross $60,000 per year. That's about $30 per hour based on a 40 hour work week.

I would do some further analysis by zip code to figure what the yield would be from various locations inside Rt. 128. Continuing I would then do more analysis to see what the yield is by day, by time, and by season.

Basically what I want to know is what to expect my wait time to be and what the value of the next request is. Then I could adjust my position accordingly. I don't have this data but I do have my own experience. That tells me that I'm taking a bigger risk than I should on travelling more than 6 minutes.

You refer to driving 3 miles. If it's in the city then that is from the Public Garden to Allston. I would never drive that far. No need to, I'll get a request soon enough if I am just patient and stay put.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I'm out here in the woods. Three miles to me is end of some peoples driveways. But with all that math you're doing here's a better idea. Get yourself a book on poker theory then go to Vegas for the WSOP. Top prize in the main event is like 10 mil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts