Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Nick Kariuki, and I'm a reporter for The Star newspaper in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I’m currently working on a story about the Uber experience in the city and I wanted to get some input from drivers elsewhere in the world. These are the questions that I had:

· From your experience, what is the likelihood of picking up a rider that you have driven with before?

· If it has happened to you, how did the social experience compare to the times when you were driving someone for the first time?

If you could also include your name, age, home town, and the areas where you typically drive (you can message these directly to me if you prefer), it would really help me add more driver perspective to my story.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
· From your experience, what is the likelihood of picking up a rider that you have driven with before?

· If it has happened to you, how did the social experience compare to the times when you were driving someone for the first time?
Really getting deep into it huh?

I'm betting the title of your story will be along the lines of "What it's really like to be an Uber driver".

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The likelihood of picking up the same person again, in my experience at least, is fairly low. I have several times though. How does it compare? Generally both parties seem to be a little more relaxed and cordial. I suppose the passenger feels like, "Oh, hey, this guy again. Well he was pretty cool last time, didn't murder or rape me, and seems to know what he's doing so I guess I don't have to be so on guard". This in turn allows the driver to relax a little more. The driver also realizes he won't have to answer the same questions asked by Uber passengers ad infinitum such as, "How long have you been driving for Uber?" "You make a lot of money doing this?" "How do you like it?" and so on and so forth.

I drive in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. Most people who have been on this forum for any length of time are not going to easily give up any identifying info. They've said too many unflattering things about ride sharing companies and don't wish to even risk being black listed or deactivated. Good luck though.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Hi N.Kariuki, welcome to the Forum.
If possible, please mention uberpeople.net in your article. UberPeople is the largest community of Drivers on the net, with over 22,000 registered members. But we do not yet have any Drivers from S. Africa as members. S African Drivers could benefit immensely from finding that the Forum exists as resource for them to network on & help each other.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
I drive Select so I get far fewer rides from a smaller pool of riders and Raleigh is a smaller city. Since I work the same area, I would say 10-15 % of my rides are repeat riders. People being what they are, if I remember some detail of the previous ride, they are flattered, i.e. "sure I remember you, last time I dropped you off at xxx". If they were talkers to begin with, makes for a friendlier ride, if they are stick to themselves and play with their phone types, doesn't have much of an effect.

I'm more than 40, that's about all I can share with you.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I think I've picked up the same person or group of people twice in about 100 trips, so it doesn't happen often. And, i live in a smaller city. I imagine it happens even less living in a bigger city if you're working nights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any of the responses that I use in my story will be cited as coming from uberpeople.net
Hi N.Kariuki, welcome to the Forum.
If possible, please mention uberpeople.net in your article. UberPeople is the largest community of Drivers on the net, with over 22,000 registered members. But we do not yet have any Drivers from S. Africa as members. S African Drivers could benefit immensely from finding that the Forum exists as resource for them to network on & help each other.
Thank you!
Any of the responses that I use from this will be cited as from uberpeople.net

·
Registered
10,169 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Uber's PR team did not try to "dupe" LA Weekly. They provided an accurate account of a top rated driver -- it's something that can stand on its own merits. The account is representative of the average Uber driver as 78% of Uber drivers are very satisfied or somewhat satisfied with Uber, based on a study conducted by the Benenson Strategy Group.

Irregardless, this topic is about N.Kariuki and I suggest he should submit an inquiry with Uber's media relation team, which is the traditional and accepted way of seeking comment on a story. Surveying arbitrary people on a forum can lead to sampling bias.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
The account is representative of the average Uber driver as 78% of Uber drivers are very satisfied or somewhat satisfied with Uber
Sure! Another factoid from "Independent" Benenson Strategic Group's "Survey" of Uber Drivers.

The Forum has it's own Satisfaction Survey of Uber Drivers:
Ongoing Poll | How Would YOU Rate Uber?

Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-34-43.png

I don't think that'll add up to 78% Satisfaction rating, no matter which way you dice it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Uber's PR team did not try to "dupe" LA Weekly. They provided an accurate account of a top rated driver -- it's something that can stand on its own merits. The account is representative of the average Uber driver as 78% of Uber drivers are very satisfied or somewhat satisfied with Uber, based on a study conducted by the Benenson Strategy Group.

Irregardless, this topic is about N.Kariuki and I suggest he should submit an inquiry with Uber's media relation team, which is the traditional and accepted way of seeking comment on a story. Surveying arbitrary people on a forum can lead to sampling bias.
Is this guy for real...?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

POST # 13/glados: Thank You for ex-
posing Yourself
as #[F]Uber Shill!

As You can see 1st hand N.Kariuki,
this is a good example of the
Orwellian Omniscience that Rasier LLC
strives for through their Invasive App
that SUCKS DRY the contents of ANY
SmartPhone [Contacts List for Data
Mining] that downloads it: be it the Rider/PAX App or the Driver App.

Reviews of their Software reveal more Malware than App and their Permis-
sions, which HAVE to be approved
PRIOR to use, include Instant-On
Activation of the Camera AND Microphone....allegedly for
"safety's sake".......really ?

Travis Kalanick, International Scofflaw
prides himself in being a "$Billionaire
Pickpocket" and Lording over his very
few W-2/Employees, by instilling a Fear
of "Big Brother" (just like "1984") and
Wowing Investors with Private Screenings
of his "Godview" Software while he jokes
about "BOOBer" and his Constantly being
Sexual Propositioned as a Newly Minted
"Forbes 400" Lister.

He's indoctrinated the Sparse Manage-
ment in Treating Drivers, their Largest
Asset and Reportedly nearing a half-
million Worldwide, as "commodity". Like
a fresh roll of Toilet Paper, vital for Daily Business....but afterwards...disgusting,
disposable and Oh-so forgettable.

Good thing that Amoral Travis has never
been called to Answer for his misdeeds.
He plans to "replace" his Yet-to-be-Adjud-
icated Employees........and give them the
"Boot" when Tesla sells him EVERY Rob-
otic Car they manufacture for the Next
Five Years....right!

N.Kariuki please examine a "Complaints"
Thread, from then-departing "Ex-CSR...
with Equity" john djjjoe, to understand
the Utter Contempt Managers feel for
what #[F]Uber calls "Valued Partners"
in Why Drivers Matter so Little:

https://uberpeople.net/posts/187189

☆ ☆ THE TRUTH ABOUT #[F]UBER ☆ ☆
Avarice+Deceit+Hubris+Schadenfreude

Mentoring Bison Abides & Endures.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
I think I've picked up the same person or group of people twice in about 100 trips, so it doesn't happen often. And, i live in a smaller city. I imagine it happens even less living in a bigger city if you're working nights.
It's been twice in over 1000 trips for me on Houston. Both times they were happy as hell to get me and all I was thinking both times were "Oh great, this ****** again. And I KNOW he doesn't tip."

I'm sure they didn't know what I thought though and the rides were pretty much the same except when they asked how I was doing I didn't bother telling them that tips STILL are not included.

50 years old btw. You can make up a name. I'm not giving it out.

·
Super Moderator
15,268 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts