Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night, I was doing my weekend Uber driving down in Sea Isle, Ocean City, Avalon...ya know, the whole strip. As I was driving around, I started noticing what looked like Uber drivers pulled over pretty consistently throughout all of the cities I was picking up in. So, I started to get paranoid. Shortly after, I was pinged for two rides that I quickly realized were police trying to entrap me into picking them up so they could issue me a citation.

Later on at around 1 AM, I picked up two guys in front of the WAWA on the main strip of Sea Isle. I was pulled over by a police officer about 30 seconds after picking up the pax. He then issued me a citation for operating without a taxi license. I already emailed Uber about helping me fight or handle the ticket and am awaiting their response.

But here is the real question ALL OF US UBER DRIVERS SHOULD BE ASKING OURSELVES!!!!

What license can we all obtain in order to keep the cops off of our backs? My wife and I spent some time researching what seems the most appropriate and landed on the chauffeur license. It is meant for drivers that pick up "on request", which is essentially what an uber driver is. Not only does that license cover you for the entire state of NJ, but it's also only $50 to obtain.

Thoughts, comments? Let's find a solution. If you're just going to be a negative suck-wad than keep your opinions to yourself.

· Registered
847 Posts
1. You cannot get a chauffeurs license without a validated limousine company that has authorization to operate in New Jersey. The chauffeurs license will also have the companies name on it that you will operate with.

2. The license is only for "pre-arranged" service and at this time New Jersey considers Uber and Lyft to be an immediate hail, so it would be considered a TAXI and you would need to get a hack license in the town/towns you would like to operate in.

3. The vehicle must also be licensed (and that is a lot more than your $50 estimate). The vehicle must be licensed as a Limousine (uber will not work with Taxi or Omnibus Plates in NJ). This requires you to have a business entity, sales tax authority, $1.5 million in limo liability insurance, and a commercial property to park the vehicle with an office to store files.

*At this time Uber is illegal in New Jersey, they have tried bribing politicians, sending big time lobbyists to the state capital, and just flat out lying to drivers by telling them to operate illegally...

FYI, while that ticket is pending against you or if you plead guilty to it: if you get stopped again for the same offense, they can arrest you and they can impound your vehicle.

· Registered
847 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. You cannot get a chauffeurs license without a validated limousine company that has authorization to operate in New Jersey. The chauffeurs license will also have the companies name on it that you will operate with.

2. The license is only for "pre-arranged" service and at this time New Jersey considers Uber and Lyft to be an immediate hail, so it would be considered a TAXI and you would need to get a hack license in the town/towns you would like to operate in.

3. The vehicle must also be licensed (and that is a lot more than your $50 estimate). The vehicle must be licensed as a Limousine (uber will not work with Taxi or Omnibus Plates in NJ). This requires you to have a business entity, sales tax authority, $1.5 million in limo liability insurance, and a commercial property to park the vehicle with an office to store files.

*At this time Uber is illegal in New Jersey, they have tried bribing politicians, sending big time lobbyists to the state capital, and just flat out lying to drivers by telling them to operate illegally...

FYI, while that ticket is pending against you or if you plead guilty to it: if you get stopped again for the same offense, they can arrest you and they can impound your vehicle.
So you're basically saying that after an UberX driver gets their first citation for unlicensed operation, we should pretty much quit because we run the chance of getting arrested and our car impounded?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always get suspicious of when a "new member" talks about police activity. Too many times it feels like a cabbie.

That said: after this weekend, there isn't going to be that much activity in Sea Isle.
I signed up to this forum because this is the first issue I've had driving Uber. Only 60+ rides on my account so far. Imagine how sketchy it felt having cops try to ping me within the first month of driving...

· Premium Member
1,331 Posts
...What license can we all obtain in order to keep the cops off of our backs? My wife and I spent some time researching what seems the most appropriate and landed on the chauffeur license. It is meant for drivers that pick up "on request"
For Jersey, I think the hack license, plus your plates and commercial insurance. As low as rates are in Jersey, not so sure at The Shore, don't think it'll be worth the investment.

Chauffeur license can help you to land a black car job, but for ridesharing?! Do the whole thing.

· Registered
2,465 Posts
I get the feeling that this guy is for real. So my question to Tanner is: Are you for real? You HAVE to know Uber is unregulated in NJ (at best.) Are you a New Jersey driver? If you are, I would do a little research before you even think of driving for Uber again.
Better yet, go to a suburban Philadelphia Pep Boys, get your PENNDOT and drive there.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
My last run last night was Avalon to sea isle. I though about cancelling but it was one rider going to the north end away from cars and police and going to a house. Just explained to her the situation there and that I needed to pull into her driveway and say goodbye like we knew each other, hid my phone, and did the run without incident

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.