Uber Drivers Forum banner

Jersey Shore - Invisible Surge

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nyrmanny 
#1 ·
In the past week, I have received a few alerts on my phone saying that there is a surge in my town. I noticed the alert as soon as it appeared, and I immediately went into the partner app. No sign of a surge. My town spans many miles, so the surge could be anywhere (if it exists).

Today, I received an alert that Toms River has a 4.4 surge. Again, I immediately went into the partner app, but no sign of surges. I also went into the passenger app and put my pin all over the town, but I couldn't find any surge anywhere.

What's the deal? Is Uber just messing with me to get me on the road? Is Uber herding drivers in new directions?

#2 ·
For the partner app, I'm convinced it is a bug. They have two surge modes: the like hexagons and the regions. NJ is setup as one "city" even though it has two regions with two different surge settings. When I last looked at the messages it looks like they only specify the surge type on the city level so once they say it has hexagon surges I think their app fails to display the non-hex surge regions. I haven't confirmed if they send the non-hex regions in the protocol in that case, but I will check that eventually.

For the rider app, they don't tell you it's surging on the shore, last I checked. They will tell you it's higher but they don't show the multiple anymore. The multiple is there in the protocol though.

It definitely does surge but not super often and they make it just about impossible to find either accidentally or intentionally.

#3 ·
Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy. What do you mean the regions? Do you mean like how they did the outline for the PGA area?

I live near a popular destination on the shore. At night, my block is often on surge, but the partner app does not show the surge. Side note: It's very annoying to live in a frequent surge spot!

#6 ·
Because they had the price manipulating lawsuit and now at shore they show a blank screen for min fare and when you click min fare it will tell you the rates.

There is also no longer estimates, just the option of X or pool and flat rates for both.

The other thing you should always do is click XL then back to X so you get a real time view of cars in your area. If your goal is to get rides obviously you don't want to be sitting next to 5 other drivers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.