Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I haven't been driving on the weekends but here from Ocean City to AC its DEAD during the week. Soo many cars and not enough people going out. I made a whopping $50 last night from 4PM - 10PM

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I haven't been driving on the weekends but here from Ocean City to AC its DEAD during the week. Soo many cars and not enough people going out. I made a whopping $50 last night from 4PM - 10PM
My friend is going on around 9-10PM and working the wee hours of the morning and seeing the sun rise and doing better. Less Ubers out the later into the night. I guess these people are working daytime jobs and coming on in the evenings and going to bed.

With Uber you can make money following the trend and what Uber tells you but you can also make money doing the opposite of other Ubers.

Last Saturday I worked a day shift at the beach because I was not feeling well the night before. I got lucky because their was a festival in Dewey Beach in the afternoon and there was a high demand between 10AM-Noon for riders. I caught a couple of healthy surge rides and called it a day after 6 hours. Normally I would have to work 10 hours in the evening to make equivalent money. If I had been feeling better I would have stayed online.

So in an overcrowded Uber area like South Jersey beaches you need to change your strategy and work the hours when nobody else is working. You will still get demand because people are there and need rides 24 x 7.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Here's the problem with non-locals working in areas they aren't familiar with: YOU ARE SCREWING IT UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

On Fourth of July weekend, I saw 7 Ubers being ticketed. Of those seven Ubers, five had TLC plates. At least three of them were getting ticketed for blocking traffic and unsafe pickups.

It's not just a question of profits. It's a question of making it harder to do our jobs when it's already unregulated here.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Here's the problem with non-locals working in areas they aren't familiar with: YOU ARE SCREWING IT UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

On Fourth of July weekend, I saw 7 Ubers being ticketed. Of those seven Ubers, five had TLC plates. At least three of them were getting ticketed for blocking traffic and unsafe pickups.

It's not just a question of profits. It's a question of making it harder to do our jobs when it's already unregulated here.
So how is one supposed to get experience? Uber is sending out $40/hour welfare incentives...of course all of these people are going to show up and not know how to pickup/dropoff pax. Uber is the Wild Wild West. Your competition just needs to have a car, license and reg and a clean record and they can drive too. You might have thousands of trips but that doesn't mean squat. You're in competition with every other driver with the app turned on. If you want to separate yourself from the rest then you need to drive XL, Black or SUV but that requires spending $$$$ on a new ride. Some markets have something called Uber Select which are top rated drivers and nicer cars. My car and rating would qualify for that but the service is not in my area.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
So how is one supposed to get experience? Uber is sending out $40/hour welfare incentives...of course all of these people are going to show up and not know how to pickup/dropoff pax. Uber is the Wild Wild West. Your competition just needs to have a car, license and reg and a clean record and they can drive too. You might have thousands of trips but that doesn't mean squat. You're in competition with every other driver with the app turned on. If you want to separate yourself from the rest then you need to drive XL, Black or SUV but that requires spending $$$$ on a new ride. Some markets have something called Uber Select which are top rated drivers and nicer cars. My car and rating would qualify for that but the service is not in my area.
Work a guarantee, fine. But when people from outside the area come in, that's an issue both on Uber's part and the drivers.

The easiest solution is to have a universal rate with Philly and NJ, but have the surge looser on the shore.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What experience do you need to know that you can't stop in the middle of the street & let people out into traffic????

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
My friend is going on around 9-10PM and working the wee hours of the morning and seeing the sun rise and doing better. Less Ubers out the later into the night. I guess these people are working daytime jobs and coming on in the evenings and going to bed.

With Uber you can make money following the trend and what Uber tells you but you can also make money doing the opposite of other Ubers.

Last Saturday I worked a day shift at the beach because I was not feeling well the night before. I got lucky because their was a festival in Dewey Beach in the afternoon and there was a high demand between 10AM-Noon for riders. I caught a couple of healthy surge rides and called it a day after 6 hours. Normally I would have to work 10 hours in the evening to make equivalent money. If I had been feeling better I would have stayed online.

So in an overcrowded Uber area like South Jersey beaches you need to change your strategy and work the hours when nobody else is working. You will still get demand because people are there and need rides 24 x 7.
Listening to what uber tells you to do is the worst thing you can do. They email drivers from Connecticut to New York to PA telling them to come here. Wherever Uber tells you to go, find somewhere else. Those areas will be over saturated and worthless

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Looking at the pax app last night, there were dozens and dozens of drivers from Avalon to AC. I would estimate over 100 cars showing up on the app in what is a 30 mile length of coast. I would think if I am seeing that many cars, it means not much activity. I put the app on yesterday when I got home from work in Ocean City between 6PM and 11PM and didnt get one request.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts