Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gov. Inslee orders masks to be worn in public to help stem spread of coronavirus
June 23, 2020 at 3:15 pm Updated June 23, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Microphone Tie Spokesperson Flag Community

OLYMPIA - Gov. Jay Inslee Tuesday announced a statewide mandate requiring facial coverings in public to slow the spread of the new coronavirus, as cases again begin to rise in Washington.

And for Yakima County - which has nearly as many COVID-19 cases as the state of Oregon and where health care workers are struggling with the surge - Inslee ordered even more stringent requirements to make sure people cover their faces while at businesses.
The new orders, set to take effect Friday, come after King County last month put in place its own requirements to wear facial coverings.
In a news conference where he was joined by state Health Secretary John Wiesman and the presidents of Costco and the union UFCW 21, Inslee called the new orders imperative as economic activity increases.
"I think this is the way we need to look at this," said the governor. "We just cannot wish this virus to go away. We have to use tools that are available to us that we know, that work."

The statewide mandate - to be formally issued by Wiesman - requires people over the age of 5 to wear face coverings generally while they are in any indoor or outdoor public space.

Masks will not be required outdoors when people can stay more than 6 feet apart from each other, while indoors at home with others, or while alone in a vehicle.

While children under 5 are exempt, the order recommends kids between the ages of 3 and 5 wear facial coverings.

Also exempt from the governor's order: people who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, or who are deaf or hard of hearing, specifically when they are communicating with another person.

And the order will recognize times when people can remove their masks, such as when they are eating at a restaurant, or engaged in a recreational activity either alone or with members of their household.

Violations of the statewide order are a misdemeanor, Inslee said, but "we don't want to have enforcement of this."

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
I have been out in public a fair amount the last couple of weeks. Only about 20% are wearing masks in Fred Meyers and Home Depot People walking into restaurants even fewer it seems. Glad to see this and moving forward I think wearing masks should become more of an everyday thing.

We have a new Covid exposure in the extended family. Testing is underway and he is quarantined in the camper away from wife and kids.

Reactions: Cut and Lissetti

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually had to take off my mask in Fred Meyer because people were standing one foot away from me, bumping onto me and literally walking up to me from some distance away, to stop and stand right next to me to check their phone or grocery list. Seems everyone wearing mask gives everyone a false sense of security. I don't want someone standing next to me with some nasty mask they've been wearing all day, touching keypads and then touching the mask to adjust it. Get away from me!! Social Distance or I'll cough!

I took off the mask and everyone moved away from me and practiced the proper social distance as I like.

Now I have to think of a new "Back Off!" technique.

Cough....Cough.....

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
I've actually had to take off my mask in Fred Meyer because people were standing one foot away from me, bumping onto me and literally walking up to me from some distance away, to stop and stand right next to me to check their phone or grocery list. Seems everyone wearing mask gives everyone a false sense of security. I don't want someone standing next to me with some nasty mask they've been wearing all day, touching keypads and then touching the mask to adjust it. Get away from me!! Social Distance or I'll cough!

I took off the mask and everyone moved away from me and practiced the proper social distance as I like.

Cough....Cough.....
It doesn't help that you are beautiful. If you and i were in the same room I would try and be near you too.

Try wearing headphones with the speaker turned out! People hate buzzy music coming from other people

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't help that you are beautiful. If you and i were in the same room I would try and be near you too.

Try wearing headphones with the speaker turned out! People hate buzzy music coming from other people
Thanks but many of these people were women and just average folks out shopping. I think they stood closer to me because I looked "safe" and they were trying to distance themselves from someone who didn't look "safe."

WTF people Covid doesn't pick and choose. Of all those people around I was probably the one least should be standing next too.

Science still hasn't determined if post Covid people can be carriers and asymptomatic. I had the damn thing for 2 months. Testing positive the whole time. That tells you this thing is not as understood as they like to assume it is.

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
Thanks but many of these people were women and just average folks out shopping. I think they stood closer to me because I looked "safe" and they were trying to distance themselves from someone who didn't look "safe."

WTF people Covid doesn't pick and choose. Of all those people around I was probably the one least should be standing next too.

Science still hasn't determined if post Covid people can be carriers and asymptomatic. I had the damn thing for 2 months. Testing positive the whole time. That tells you this thing is not as understood as they like to assume it is.
I absolutely know! He!! we have a new case in the family now. Or at least he was exposed in a large group of three. Now he is sleeping in the camper and doing the testing dance for the next ten days.

Do the music thing! It really works!

Yes people really are stupider than I think they are.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts

Cough....Cough.....
Maybe you get yourself a shirt that says "Sick with Covid for 2 Months". That should do the trick. 😎

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you get yourself a shirt that says "Sick with Covid for 2 Months". That should do the trick. 😎
I actually have a Corona Extra shirt I wear. Hoping at least people would stay away from me for poor taste...

However I have snapped at people when they wouldn't get away from me the first time that I asked, that I would cough on them, then I mentioned having it for much longer than the normal time frame. One time I was standing in line with my back against the freezer case behind me (so as to proper social distance while in line) and this guy walks up to me singing some stupid love song, comes from 20 feet away to 1 foot and then leans in to my face to sing. Yes I snatched my mask off and spewed a slur of words (and probably a few extra stuff 🦠☢ ) into his face.

That's the mentality I have to deal with in Fred Meyer. Not too much trouble in Safeway. However at Winco there's no such thing as a virus. It's still 2019 there for customers and employees alike. Mask? Social Distance? What's that?

That's Winco Foods:
21100 91st Pl S, Kent, WA 98031

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
I actually have a Corona Extra shirt I wear. Hoping at least people would stay away from me for poor taste...

However I have snapped at people when they wouldn't get away from me the first time that I asked, that I would cough on them, then I mentioned having it for much longer than the normal time frame. One time I was standing in line with my back against the freezer case behind me (so as to proper social distance while in in line) and this guy walks up to me singing some stupid love song, comes from 20 feet away to 1 foot and then leans in to my face to sing. Yes I snatched my mask off and spewed a slur of words (and probably a few extra stuff 🦠☢ ) into his face.

That's the mentality I have to deal with in Fred Meyer. Not too much trouble in Safeway. However at Winco there's no such thing as a virus. It's still 2019 there for customers and employees alike. Mask? Social Distance? What's that?

That's Winco Foods:
21100 91st Pl S, Kent, WA 98031
I have never shopped at a Winco foods.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never shopped at a Winco foods.
I started shopping there in my Ant/Starving Student days. Prices are lower than Walmart. However, as I said, before today's law was passed, if you went there in 2020, be prepared to catch the Covid if you go to that Kent one. No one is going to stay 6 feet away from you. Not employee nor customer. No employees had masks on and less than 5% customers did, on several occasions I went there. I was already post Covid so I wasn't concerned about catching it.

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
Remember there is no proof that you cannot catch it again or that it hasn't already morphed into a new strain. Be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I haven't been driving, but if you open your Uber app there is a place where you can request disposable masks to be mailed to you. I got them in the mail the other day and it appears to be 10 of them.

It will be interesting to see how many people comply because there are medical exemptions, so it's not like stores will be enforcing it. There are some videos on YouTube where stores try to stop people from entering and those don't go well. Maybe the mandate and social pressure will help bring some people to wear them even though they didn't see the need before.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I haven't been driving, but if you open your Uber app there is a place where you can request disposable masks to be mailed to you. I got them in the mail the other day and it appears to be 10 of them.
Covid-19 ---> Free health and safety supplies ---> Masks/disinfectant

I love to shop at my local Winco. It's a great place to practice my Spanish.

·
Premium Member
8,445 Posts

It will be interesting to see how many people comply because there are medical exemptions, so it's not like stores will be enforcing it. There are some videos on YouTube where stores try to stop people from entering and those don't go well. Maybe the mandate and social pressure will help bring some people to wear them even though they didn't see the need before.
When I ordered hand sanitizer from Instacart, they mailed me a wet package with an empty bottle sans lid.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
When I ordered hand sanitizer from Instacart, they mailed me a wet package with an empty bottle sans lid.
I had a few different shipments of hand sanitizer from Staples with no problems. It can only be shipped via ground and clearly marked because of the alcohol content. One came from Portland via UPS and the other they had in stock at their local warehouse and it was delivered by them. The stores seem to have sanitizer now, but liquid soap is less available now.

·
Premium Member
8,445 Posts
I had a few different shipments of hand sanitizer from Staples with no problems. It can only be shipped via ground and clearly marked because of the alcohol content. One came from Portland via UPS and the other they had in stock at their local warehouse and it was delivered by them. The stores seem to have sanitizer now, but liquid soap is less available now.
I've got a pretty easy supply of hand sanitizer now. This was when people were still hoarding to mark up and it was impossible to find anywhere. I ended up making my own. I have plenty now. One i. Each car, one for my pocket. One at both entrances to the house, one at my computer desk. It didn't take covid for me. I actuality have had a weird obsession with hand sanitizer for years lol

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Violations of the statewide order are a misdemeanor, Inslee said, but "we don't want to have enforcement of this."
Inslee, you didn't have to tell us it wasn't going to be enforced because we already knew that. People already don't give a shit about social distancing or wearing a mask to prevent the spread, so why do you think an order would change their minds?

·
Premium Member
8,445 Posts
It’s not really possible to enforce outdoors. There are too many exceptions, which would require a hurculean effort with police checkpoints everywhere and legal documentation on everyone’s person which is not mentioned. Indoors it’s possible, but also not very practical. They would have to turn WA into a giant prison to enforce something like this... unless they make an example Of some people to instill fear, in which case, people could sue for being targeted, and they’d have bigger protests than CHOP on their hands.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
@K-pax , I agree. We aren't going to see videos like that in our state because of the exemptions. Just like how you sometimes see people with their pets in the grocery store. Although, I once saw an employee question a guy at Fred Meyer in Ballard because another customer complained about his two dogs. I think he was a little shocked that the store employee talked to him about it. He had one dog in his cart and the other one walking. I don't remember what exactly the customer said, but he was stumbling on his words... Yeah, it's a service dog, well I mean...uh...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts