Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
Just like the invention of gunpowder and thermonuclear weapons, the creation of fully AI weaponry will be like a genie that will refuse to go back into its lamp. At least the first two have human soldiers and leaders that make the final decision; but a fully autonomous weapon released on a population will have no master.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just like the invention of gunpowder and thermonuclear weapons, the creation of fully AI weaponry will be like a genie that will refuse to go back into its lamp. At least the first two have human soldiers and leaders that make the final decision; but a fully autonomous weapon released on a population will have no master.
If we can't trust our 'collective data' combined with AI that already exists, especially within social media, how can we come to ever trust corporate AI. The fundamental research for these algorithms and deep learning systems originated at our public universities. Are these intellectual thieves going to put proprietary restrictions on the "knowledge" we've all collectively created over the course of human history? That was one of the most important questions that Marx asked himself, his 200 birthday is May 18th, 2018, many academics see this as his most enlightened part of his writings. Karl Marx was simply centuries ahead of his time with regard to automation. Strangely very few departments in economics even bother to teach his work to their undergraduate students. I now think Marx ideas should now form the basis of at least 50% of first year economics curriculum.

The "free" market system and its theoretical underpinnings have failed us at every turn. With AI everything is being turned upside down. Marx had an intuitive sense that market economies were unjust and usury. More importantly he realized intellectual capital " the knowledge" would fuel the underpinnings of a reorganized society, one that met our needs, not just the capitalists that owned the machines. That we are facing this question only now is a embarrassment to many employed in the social sciences.

The really enormous breakthroughs in Computer Science undergraduate teaching came with the textbook, the Foundations of Computer Science by Aho and Ullman at Stanford. Topics that changed computing were 3.4 Big-Oh and Approximate Running Time of Programmes. Here is a link to the PDF http://infolab.stanford.edu/~ullman/focs/ch03.pdf The book was also focused on the need to create elegant and efficient run time algorithms. The book (also C version and Pascal) is still the corner stone to many of the digital devices we now hold in our hands. The Blackberry was created primarily by the students that graduated from the C.S. department at U of Waterloo. Many of the protocols and insights of these two professors from Stanford was a critical part of the Waterloo curricula. One of the key reasons why RIM was so successful is that the teachers at Waterloo taught their students programmes that were the underpinnings of this new wireless email. In the first days of wireless data technologies, the bandwidth we take for granted today, was minuscule to what we have now.

In terms of technology transfer RIM did cash in on the "knowledge." The late 80's and 90's technology is now the corner stone of all this new firmware and wireless technology that is driving AI. Governments cannot sit idle while this technology gets developed with little or no discussion nor peer review. Many of these new AI developments are at a stage where they can be applied now to even the most complex human tasks. Governments need to also create their own in house AI research and application departments. France just announced and rolled out their AI initiative this past week. Where is the Canadian government policy on AI?

The larger societal question with these new AI technologies is that we can't see them being designed, purposed or built. We did watch the construction of the steam engine and dams that powered the industrial revolution. Amazingly we also watched the Blackberry emerge from our public institutions, notably U of Waterloo.

This week Musk weighed in on the importance of monitoring the developments in AI as well as several months back the late, Prof. Hawking who warned of all out destruction of the human race. Many in the AI race call them alarmists, I prefer to think of them as gatekeepers that realize the importance of the " First Law."

Machines are now being taught to kill and these new weaponized robots are precisely what Isaac Asimov warned us of decades ago. Most of us here were not surprised to hear Uber was the first company to break the " First Law."

Perhaps some young graduate student at Stanford or Waterloo is sitting in front of his/her computer right now and is writing the machine learning algorithm that will be the building blocks for AI and will publish it as open source code.

In a particularly dark and not to optimistic moment for the survival of the planet perhaps AI could greatly assist us in stopping or mitigating the impacts of global warming and savage capitalism.

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
I’m going to let you guys out on a secret, but please don’t share with others. I’m actually not a human. I’m a Sayain; sworn to protect planet earth from all evils.

If any robot tries to take over the planet, you guys should know that I will be there to stop it.

My power levels have been increasing at an exponential level, and I have recently mastered Ultra Instinct. Sayains’ have no limit, so regardless of how strong Artifical Intellegince is, they will no be match for a Sayain.

Now, rideshare on my fellow comrades, knowing very well that I’m here to prtoect you.

Again, this is a secret. Don’t share it with your uncle who is also ridesharing.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to let you guys out on a secret, but please don't share with others. I'm actually not a human. I'm a Sayain; sworn to protect planet earth from all evils.

If any robot tries to take over the planet, you guys should know that I will be there to stop it.

My power levels have been increasing at an exponential level, and I have recently mastered Ultra Instinct. Sayains' have no limit, so regardless of how strong Artifical Intellegince is, they will no be match for a Sayain.

Now, rideshare on my fellow comrades, knowing very well that I'm here to prtoect you.

Again, this is a secret. Don't share it with your uncle who is also ridesharing.
You'll be very a busy Sayain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts