1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Houston sucks.
Uber sucks.
The USA sucks.

Things have changed a lot in the past 17 months that I've been driving for Uber. It went from turning on the app anywhere in Houston making money constantly and meeting decent people, to a complete ****ing ghost town with the occasional scumbag for a passenger. The high demand from the decent pax is gone and what's left is low demand from cheap weirdo scum.

Any reason I should even wake up anymore? I can't find anything else to do and I'm tired of being broke. I really want to make $100+ a day on Uber after gas and commission but I can't justify the effort, mileage, and overall risk required to make that possible, all while my ratings continue to slide lower and lower continually, transporting these impossible to please pieces of shit. I used to be able to meet that goal every day with no effort, just 2-3 hours out at any given hour. What's going on?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Funny thing about the uber crowd vs lyft. Last week i did about 10 rides with each app.
Lyft ratings all 5 with 4 great comments
Uber 4.3 with tips on how to improve my service. lol
I'm the same person, the uber crowd expectation are maybe a slave that kisses their butts?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
got one ride this morning and driver app sent me to wrong address at a residential home...pax called and was at the marriott hotel about 1/2 mile away...did the pick up and now the app won't allow me to go offline giving service unavailable error message...no a good sign!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure there are lots a factors at play here, but I think the we are starting to see, on top of drivers saturation, the effects of the decline of the O&G industry, which is the backbone of the local economy. It's been kind of a delayed response, but I think the ripple is now making its way and affecting consumption of all things, including Uber use. I work for a huge corporation in oilfield services and our company started cutting to the bone 9 months ago, and continues to do so even now. And I'm not just talking about layoffs, but expenditures like corporate travel, expense accounts, car allowances etc. And from what I can tell, it's likely only going to be a while before any sort of recovery. And I'm talking years, not months. All IMHO, of course. I could be / hope I'm wrong.

Bright side I guess, gasoline prices should continue to fall ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
And as prices far your car insurance rates rise due to more cars on the road!! Just had a big meeting about this!! Affects all insurance companies...

·
Registered
110 Posts
got one ride this morning and driver app sent me to wrong address at a residential home...pax called and was at the marriott hotel about 1/2 mile away...did the pick up and now the app won't allow me to go offline giving service unavailable error message...no a good sign!
I had the Same issue!! Had to reset my network settings

·
Registered
384 Posts
Houston sucks.
Uber sucks.
The USA sucks.

Things have changed a lot in the past 17 months that I've been driving for Uber. It went from turning on the app anywhere in Houston making money constantly and meeting decent people, to a complete ****ing ghost town with the occasional scumbag for a passenger. The high demand from the decent pax is gone and what's left is low demand from cheap weirdo scum.

Any reason I should even wake up anymore? I can't find anything else to do and I'm tired of being broke. I really want to make $100+ a day on Uber after gas and commission but I can't justify the effort, mileage, and overall risk required to make that possible, all while my ratings continue to slide lower and lower continually, transporting these impossible to please pieces of shit. I used to be able to meet that goal every day with no effort, just 2-3 hours out at any given hour. What's going on?
I feel your pain. It's like the walking dead out here.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I just rebooted the phone and app..but getting the rider cancelled banner with no ping preceding that...big trouble in H town!!

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Funny thing about the uber crowd vs lyft. Last week i did about 10 rides with each app.
Lyft ratings all 5 with 4 great comments
Uber 4.3 with tips on how to improve my service. lol
I'm the same person, the uber crowd expectation are maybe a slave that kisses their butts?
You're posting this in the Houston forum and we don't have lyft here.

·
Banned
62 Posts
I live near IAH so I start/work there.

Yesterday morning I waited 2 1/2 hours and didn't get a fare.

Last night I pulled in and it was so crowded I knew the wait would be hours so I left.

I've been waiting 3 hours so far this morning and no fares yet.

It doesn't help that the app keeps logging everyone off.

**** YOU UBER.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Damn... I was there this morning and waiting an hr.... But dig this.... I get a ping and the guy said he missed his flight!!! He lived in Katy...?we don't even get out the airport and he says can you take me back, I booked another flight!!! ****in $15 !! Didn't even say sorry!! Rated a 1

·
Registered
115 Posts
Uber went down in New York City, and the internet freaked out

• Aug. 8, 2015, 11:01 AM

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Two questions:
1. Why are riders referred to as PAX?

2. Why is Lyft no longer in Houston?
PAX (pronounced packs) , just a term that's always been used in the transportation industry.

As far as Lyft, their official statement for pulling out, "because the permits are too expensive for the drivers."

My take on Lyft leaving, is the permit costs. Obviously Lyft and Uber and any other TNC company that wants to operate in Houston has to pay a whole lot more (probably in the tens of thousands - not just city fees, but they have to pay their attorneys, etc, to draw up the papers) to be able to operate here, than just us "regular folk." and perhaps the business in Houston was just not there. Uber was always more busy than Lyft in Houston.

Why do I think this? Because, how many drivers are there for Uber? The permits do not cost too much to where the average part time driver can not afford it.
Keep in mind, that permit you should of gotten by now (if you are operating in Houston) is good for ANY TNC company you choose to contract for. You do not need a separate permit for Lyft, Uber. Its just one.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I live near IAH so I start/work there.

Yesterday morning I waited 2 1/2 hours and didn't get a fare.

Last night I pulled in and it was so crowded I knew the wait would be hours so I left.

I've been waiting 3 hours so far this morning and no fares yet.

It doesn't help that the app keeps logging everyone off.

**** YOU UBER.
This app issue finally happened to me yesterday. I have a iPhone 5s (never upgraded software, that I use for Uber) and a iPhone 6. Last night, I decided to log in at home, and did not want to go to my car, so I used my iPhone 6. The app did crash a few times while I was waiting at home. However, when I logged in to my iPhone 5s, everything was fine for the rest of the night.

So, this app issue, happens on newer versions of iOS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This app issue finally happened to me yesterday. I have a iPhone 5s (never upgraded software, that I use for Uber) and a iPhone 6. Last night, I decided to log in at home, and did not want to go to my car, so I used my iPhone 6. The app did crash a few times while I was waiting at home. However, when I logged in to my iPhone 5s, everything was fine for the rest of the night.

So, this app issue, happens on newer versions of iOS.
Like most iOS and Android apps, they need upgrading from time to time. Just be patient and im sure they will have it fixed quickly. Just Tweet them the issue so they are aware.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts