Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One guy called me 10 minutes after I dropped him off and asked if he had left his keys in the car. I checked the back seat and told him that his keys were there. He said that he really needed them. I told him that I was already five miles away. He said that he would give me $20 if I would turn around and take them back to him. I said OK and he said he'd be waiting at the dropoff location for me.

When I got there he was nowhere to be seen. After waiting a few minutes I phone him and he then appears. When I give him his keys he says "sorry man, I have no cash on me, but I REALLY appreciate you coming back. Thanks!" With that he smiles, turns around and walks off.

So from now on, when someone leaves something and either phones me or I phone them to tell them, I offer to Uber their property back to them. I give them the exact street address where I happen to be at the time and tell them that they may type that address into the Uber app as the pickup location. I will accept the request and return the property.

If they ask if I will be in their area later that day/evening, the answer is no. Can they collect from me, the answer is yes, at a time and place that is convenient to me. Obviously, if they offer cash to deliver the item, it's a no.

1,974 Posts
Just do what you did this time but crack the window and get the money first. In my cab driving days I returned lots of stuff and everyone that offered a reward paid me. If the customer doesn't have any money (or doesn't initiate an offer to pay you to come back) then just follow Uber's Policy:

A client left something in my car. What do I do?
If you find the item quickly enough, you can call or text your client after the trip is over and return it to them.

If you or a client realizes later that they left an item in your vehicle, we can provide the client with your phone number so that you can find a solution that works for both of you. We recommend being flexible, and offering the client several options to return the item quickly.

*** Please do not ask for money for the return of your client's belongings***

Once we have confirmed the return of the lost item, we will credit your account $10 as a thank you finders fee!

Remember: the easiest way to prevent this from happening is to check the back seat after every trip!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Just do what you did this time but crack the window and get the money first. In my cab driving days I returned lots of stuff and everyone that offered a reward paid me. If the customer doesn't have any money (or doesn't initiate an offer to pay you to come back) then just follow Uber's Policy:

A client left something in my car. What do I do?
If you find the item quickly enough, you can call or text your client after the trip is over and return it to them.

If you or a client realizes later that they left an item in your vehicle, we can provide the client with your phone number so that you can find a solution that works for both of you. We recommend being flexible, and offering the client several options to return the item quickly.

*** Please do not ask for money for the return of your client's belongings***

Once we have confirmed the return of the lost item, we will credit your account $10 as a thank you finders fee!

Remember: the easiest way to prevent this from happening is to check the back seat after every trip!
Every trip and you will not have a problem. Its like second nature when you get in the habit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In London, we have an office where new drivers go to to collect their iPhone and watch a tutorial presentation. UberExec and UberLux drivers also have to do a knowledge test.

There are also open office hours, Mon to Fri. 12pm to 5pm, where we can go and see someone in person if there are queries which can't be dealt by email. Expect a long queue though...

I thought this was normal everywhere, until I found this forum and realise iPhones are posted out, and you have watch YouTube videos to learn how uber works..:confused:

·
Registered
264 Posts
This past weekend somebody left a wallet in my car. Wasn't aware of it until I got a text from Uber asking. When I checked I found it under the seat, would never have found it from the routine after trip inspection. I offered to return it, was given a location by Uber (hotel 15 minutes away). Uber said they'd put $15 in my account, and they did. I also graciously accepted the $6 the customer offered (it was what they had) and thanked them.

I asked the passenger how they got a hold of Uber, they said they called Uber's emergency number.

1,974 Posts
Ok, it takes one or two minutes of my time
Probably doesn't even take a minute unless the customer has to look around inside the car. I also remind people to make sure they have their cell phones. Cell phones seem to be the most common thing I've found in my car.

·
Registered
873 Posts
One guy called me 10 minutes after I dropped him off and asked if he had left his keys in the car. I checked the back seat and told him that his keys were there. He said that he really needed them. I told him that I was already five miles away. He said that he would give me $20 if I would turn around and take them back to him. I said OK and he said he'd be waiting at the dropoff location for me.

When I got there he was nowhere to be seen. After waiting a few minutes I phone him and he then appears. When I give him his keys he says "sorry man, I have no cash on me, but I REALLY appreciate you coming back. Thanks!" With that he smiles, turns around and walks off.

So from now on, when someone leaves something and either phones me or I phone them to tell them, I offer to Uber their property back to them. I give them the exact street address where I happen to be at the time and tell them that they may type that address into the Uber app as the pickup location. I will accept the request and return the property.

If they ask if I will be in their area later that day/evening, the answer is no. Can they collect from me, the answer is yes, at a time and place that is convenient to me. Obviously, if they offer cash to deliver the item, it's a no.
u should have made him request u using uber
give ur current location
then ping!
i know its too late
but maybe this will work next time

·
Registered
873 Posts
This past weekend somebody left a wallet in my car. Wasn't aware of it until I got a text from Uber asking. When I checked I found it under the seat, would never have found it from the routine after trip inspection. I offered to return it, was given a location by Uber (hotel 15 minutes away). Uber said they'd put $15 in my account, and they did. I also graciously accepted the $6 the customer offered (it was what they had) and thanked them.

I asked the passenger how they got a hold of Uber, they said they called Uber's emergency number.
hahah uber has an emergency number? @[email protected]
u should have ask what it is

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not easy to find on their website. But there is a contact number on this page: https://www.uber.com/report-issue

"Uber does not tolerate the use of alcohol or drugs by drivers using the Uber app. If you believe your driver may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, please have the driver END THE TRIP IMMEDIATELY.

After the driver has ended the trip, please report any feedback when rating your trip in the Uber app, or reply to your emailed receipt, email [email protected], or visit t.uber.com/support. Alternatively, you can call (415) 746-9376."

·
Registered
7,542 Posts

When I got there he was nowhere to be seen. After waiting a few minutes I phone him and he then appears. When I give him his keys he says "sorry man, I have no cash on me, but I
Here's an earlier post of mine on the subject

"Lost property is a nightmare for drivers.

In some cases a Rider will be 100% certain that they left something behind in your car. That may be correct but if they don't get back to you before the next Rider then all bets are off as to whether the next rider does the right thing and hand it to you.

Personal items can easily be dragged out and dropped on the road as passengers get out of the car as well.

Then there are times when you find something before its even noticed to be missing by the owner, call them up, get a tidal wave of gushing thank-you's then not a dollar offered for the time it's taken you to fix up their mistake.

I don't let that happen anymore, advising them that I'll drop it at the Local Police Station, which is all I'm obliged to do under our transport laws. If they ask for it to be delivered then I give them a delivery quote and ask if that's acceptable.

My usual reserves of charitable selflessness was used up years ago by passengers wasting hours of my time on their behalf with no compensation offered."

Jul 13, 2014

·
Banned
3,041 Posts

I would have made sure to get the cash first, no cash, no keys, and drive off, call uber and tell them to contact passanger so he /she can get their keys back, lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A customer left their phone in my car two weeks ago. I reported it to Uber the following day. I haven't heard anything since. As I drive for more than one Uber market, (DC and MD) I can't remember which one it was. Do I just go to one of the offices anyway and drop it off?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.