Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a key on a chain left in my vehicle. I am 99% sure I know which rider left it there.

I have contacted Uber, and they have told the rider about the key. The rider has my phone number but has not contacted me.

I have contacted Uber again asking if I can send the key to the local Uber office so that I have no liability or responsibility for the key any longer.

In the meantime, does anybody have any advice for me based on actual experience?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just keep it with u for 2-3 weeks if he contacts have him pick it up. If u don't care just throw it away not our responsibility to look for the pax spend time going to police station file a report if it was that important or if he was that drunk he should of called the next day or the 2nd day but he prolly didn't even realize he left it in ur car

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The concern is that it appears to be a house key. I don't want to be implicated if something happens at that house, either real or staged. I believe it belongs to a young female, so my concern becomes even greater for that reason.

I want it off my hands. I'm going to take it to the police station first thing in the morning. Great idea.

·
Registered
857 Posts
drop it at the uber office or the police station..

their house gets broken in to while you have the key, guess who gets a knock on the door?

also be sure to get proof from where ever you dropped it off that you gave it to them.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
The concern is that it appears to be a house key. I don't want to be implicated if something happens at that house, either real or staged. I believe it belongs to a young female, so my concern becomes even greater for that reason.

I want it off my hands. I'm going to take it to the police station first thing in the morning. Great idea.
If you dropped her off at home just return there and open the door and leave it on the kitchen table.

Leave a little note

"you left your house key in UBER, thought I would return it"
Sincerely,
Travis

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
If you do not want the responsibility of being a lost & found department you can drop the item off at the nearest police station.
drop it at the uber office or the police station..

also be sure to get proof from where ever you dropped it off that you gave it to them.
The first is a good idea, but the second quote is KEY: GET A RECEIPT FOR THE ITEM. If you go to the Police, which I consider the better choice (they may balk at giving you a receipt at the Uber Office), they will give you a receipt, take a report and give you either a report number or a copy of the report or render unto you some sort of documentation. Get some documentation that you handed in the item.

One reason that I tend to shy from rendering the item directly to the person who lost it is that if the item has value, the person who lost it can still accuse you of not having returned it. To be sure, these days, you can use your telephone to take a photograph of your returning it; an option not available for most of the time that I was a Company Official. Still, the best option is to have Official Documentation,

Another thing that I used to do for my drivers is to make a copy of the receipt for the item, put it into his personnel file and return the original to the driver. In more than one case, after the driver lost his original receipt, something came up about it. I was able to save the driver's behind by producing a copy of the receipt for the lost and found. One thing about the D.C. Government is that it is pretty good about accepting copies if the original has been lost.

I am a former Official of a cab company, so I had to deal with this all the time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've dropped off the item at the police station and contacted Uber. The police will hold it for 30 days and then destroy it.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
I found a key on a chain left in my vehicle. I am 99% sure I know which rider left it there.

I have contacted Uber, and they have told the rider about the key. The rider has my phone number but has not contacted me.

I have contacted Uber again asking if I can send the key to the local Uber office so that I have no liability or responsibility for the key any longer.

In the meantime, does anybody have any advice for me based on actual experience?
This is going top sound weird, but NEVER make an effort to return items left in you car. If you follow Uber's rules here, it'll actually cost you time and money to return the item. The best approach when you find items in you car is to do NOTHING. If the pax needs/wants the item back, he/she will contact you through Uber. And if that happens, you can negotiate an appropriate return fee. In my case, when I'm not driving for Uber my hourly rate is $100 per hour as a consultant. So, if I take a half hour out of my day to return an item to a pax, I must charge $50...and I do. If the pax doesn't like it, then maybe they'll leave their crap in a fry cook's car next time who doesn't have to charge as much.

Remember, you're an IC. As an IC you must live by the mantra ABC: Always Be Compensated. When a pax leaves crap in your car, he/she has created a problem that you had nothing to do with. However, you're then asked to solve a problem you did not create. Ergo, it is perfectly appropriate to charge for your time for solving that problem. That what IC's do. You're not a charity, after all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With some items, I would agree. However, this was an apparent house key left behind by a young female. This is most likely access to her home. There's no way I'm going to accept the liability that goes along with that.

I did wait until I had a fare within a mile of the police station. I also counted the extra mile needed to drive there as a business expense.

No big deal.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
With some items, I would agree. However, this was an apparent house key left behind by a young female. This is most likely access to her home. There's no way I'm going to accept the liability that goes along with that.

I did wait until I had a fare within a mile of the police station. I also counted the extra mile needed to drive there as a business expense.

No big deal.
OK, that works. It's too bad you didn't get compensated, but your sidestepping of liability was good thinking. Last thing you need is to get implicated in a staged rape or break-in.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
Uber says you are to bring it back on your own dime and clean the house while you are there. (OK I added the last part).
Your point is well-taken. Following Uber's edict for returning items is a fool's errand. My policy for returning items treats us IC's like IC's, which means we get paid. That is, after all, why we became IC's in the first place, right? I don't know anyone who ventures into IC status with the goal of wasting time and losing money.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
For items left behind (like a key) this works:

Pax who left tip:
I have it, I can meet you or drop it off.

Pax who left no tip:
What key? Sorry don't see it but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts