Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an uber fare at JFK and the customer wanted to go to long island..so I notice that the steering is kinda weird so I check the prius screen and see my tire indicator come on. Thank God I was able to make the drop off because the light came on 4 minutes before I could end the trip.

I am really not mechanically inclined, lol. Me and tools don't work out so well and if I tried to change my own tire I'd probably end up screwing up the frame of the car and then I'd be really screwed. So I spent about 60 on roadside assistance and the hole in tire is smaller than my pinky finger nail. The tire guy said the tire had some minor sidewall damage so it can't be repaired.

On Monday I'll probably get a another new tire :) hopefully but I can't drive my car for hire (ethically speaking) because donuts aren't as durable regular tires. So as if now I'll only have to replace 2 tires unless the other tires get holes in the side wall

The best part about this crappy situation is that my customers we're so nice. The guy tried to help me but he wasn't mechanically inclined either and he gave me ribs. He and his wife were pleasant conversation and the waited with me until the tire was repaired. They were the nicest uber customers ever! Probably because they lived in Canada, lol. I told them all about juno and how it was better than uber haha. They were honestly awesome. Just as kind, if not kinder than mother Teresa!

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Kevin please learn how to do the basics... changing a tire is nothing. I carry a tire plug kit ($8 Will plug up to 20 holes) in my car and an air pump. I can plug the tire in minutes and inflate again. You paid someone $60 for a job you could have done for $.40. I realize I'm older then you but you can go on YouTube to learn anything you put your mind to. Brake jobs,
tire change etc....

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin please learn how to do the basics... changing a tire is nothing. I carry a tire plug kit ($8 Will plug up to 20 holes) in my car and an air pump. I can plug the tire in minutes and inflate again. You paid someone $60 for a job you could have done for $.40. I realize I'm older then you but you can go on YouTube to learn anything you put your mind to. Brake jobs,
tire change etc....

Dude trust me, i suck with tools!

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Just trying to help you out. You're the one who posted about committing fraud because you can't afford to buy new tires. That's one of the most basic and common costs of this gig..... I guess every time you need new tires that will be your answer..... you seem like an intelligent young man most of the time...

I believe in Karma and the fact you have a tire problem a couple days after talking about tire fraud seems like Karma biting you in the arse.... lol.... good luck dude....

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just trying to help you out. You're the one who posted about committing fraud because you can't afford to buy new tires. That's one of the most basic and common costs of this gig..... I guess every time you need new tires that will be your answer..... you seem like an intelligent young man most of the time...

I believe in Karma and the fact you have a tire problem a couple days after talking about tire fraud seems like Karma biting you in the arse.... lol.... good luck dude....
Yep I'm getting a bite in the rear but at least I only have to pay for 2 new tires.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
I think you just paid $60 toward those new tires.

But on a serious note I've never heard of a tire hazard warranty that doesn't prorate for use. you said you drove roughly 30,000 miles on tires rated 45,000 miles. So that only leaves roughly one third tread life.

Example: If the tires sell for $100 each that means you owe $66.67 per tire. That's not free....

Font Parallel Electric blue Number Document

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I think you just paid $60 toward those new tires.

But on a serious note I've never heard of a tire hazard warranty that doesn't prorate for use. you said you drove roughly 30,000 miles on tires rated 45,000 miles. So that only leaves roughly one third tread life.

Example: If the tires sell for $100 each that means you owe $66.67 per tire. That's not free....

View attachment 156794
I have a tire protection plan on my car. If anything happens to my tire, I get a brand new one until I hit 100,000. I think that's what the OP was talking about.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
What is that a prius special? Lol never heard of it... didn't you but your cat with 44000 on it? That's great plan protecting your tires for 56000 miles
Yes it is. The tires don't get repaired, they get replaced. I also have free oil changes and tire rotations for the life of the vehicle. I'm sure this is because at the same time that it's due for oil changes it will also be due for other maintenance things, but I'll go there for the oil change and tire rotation and then go to my own mechanic for everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts