Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

It Doesn't Get Any More Newbie Than This

4K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  defcon888 
#1 ·
I really am not technologically illiterate, though you'd never know it from what I'm about to ask.

I have been accepted as a Uber driver. I've installed the software to my Android. And now I can't find my way out of a virtual traffic circle.

I am trying with enormous frustration to figure out how to announce to the ride-needing public that I am available to be hired. I see no options for this in the app.

First off, there is OFFLINE showing at the top of the screen. Secondly, the next line seems to indicate that Uber regards me as a passenger, not a driver. It reads: FIND TRIPS TOWARD A DESTINATION.

You would think -- or at least I would think -- that the Uber web site would make crystal clear the necessary steps toward being on your way toward your first Uber fare.

But unless I'm completely overlooking something, nowhere among the dozens of questions they post in their HELP section, are simple instructions on how to establish your presence as an available driver.

Maybe that's just as well because I don't see any direction on what exactly to do once I've picked up a passenger. I know I'll need to indicate somehow that I've picked up a passenger and dropped them off, but where is the step-by-step on how to do this? I can easily see myself spending my first day running all around the region and Uber never acknowledging it because I didn't follow protocol.

So my question is simply, is there a resource which spells all this out in concise fashion? And also, why is my screen treating me as though I never signed up as a driver? I have and have been accepted. All forms processed.

I know answering this question is going to be a complete bore for whoever is nice enough to do it, so mega thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Click on the button next to OFFLINE. It will change to online.
Don't worry about trips to destination.
We'll cover that when you get past the basics.

Once you go online, now you'll start getting ride requests.

If possible, have a friend, wife, neighbor request a ride and actually go for a drive so you start to understand how the app works.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out in no time

#3 ·
That's a great idea (the "as-if" rider). Thanks for the immediate help and the encouragement.

Ok. Very neat. I slid the button and indeed am online. But here's another thing. Uber is the first app I've ever uploaded in my life. And it's not like I'm six years old, so that's kind of embarrassing. Nonetheless, this sad state of affairs is a true one.

So I've been relying on following a link attached to a text Uber sent me to notify me I'd been accepted to drive for them. Eventually this message is going to be buried and I'll be scrambling to figure out how to visit the Uber home page (or whatever it's called as an app. Probably the Uber app.)

Anyway, there's got to be an easier way for this. And just when you thought the questions couldn't get any more head-slapping . . .

And, OK for arguments sake, now that I'm online, I still am being treated as a passenger (I think). That "Find trips toward a destination" message still tops the map. I closed it but nothing replaces it indicating recognition of my being a driver.

Shouldn't there be something self-evident indicating I'm an available driver? Or do I simply wait for a signal from Uber and everything activates?

#4 ·
You launch the Uber APP by touching the icon on your Android device. The Uber PAGE is something different - you get to it using a web browser on your phone/device/PC by putting the address into the address field OR by saving the address as a favorite. I don't think I've logged into that web site more than twice in four months, so not sure what people use it for.

#7 ·
In this instance I'll take the greater part.

Slide the button to online..
1)you are now recognized as a driver... 2)when your phone makes a noise or you see something flashing across the front of the phone screen touch it, you have just accepted a ride, it usually has the amount of minutes to pick up, I won't go over 12 minutes.. you'll learn your preferences and about surge soon enough.
3) the app will have a button bottom corner that says "navigate" click it
4) you are now giving directions just like GPS, to navigate to the passenger.
5) roll your window down and make sure the person getting in your car has the same name as the name in your screen, do not ask them is your name Bob... ask them, what's your name?
6) if the name matches unlock the door let the passenger in
7) a bar at the bottom will say accept ride slide it to the right,
8) passengers destination will come up with GPS instructions make sure by asking them "what's your destination? " That this is where they actually want to go.
9) drive them to destination when finished slide the red bar at the bottom that says ride complete ( or something like that) to the right and your done... stay on line for your next request... hope this helps
Thank you! Actually had a baptism by fire in the interval and learned on the fly (with a little help from my first customer). Think I should be alright until level 2.0 complications arise.

Appreciate the help from those who volunteered it in good spirit.

#6 ·
Slide the button to online..
1)you are now recognized as a driver... 2)when your phone makes a noise or you see something flashing across the front of the phone screen touch it, you have just accepted a ride, it usually has the amount of minutes to pick up, I won't go over 12 minutes.. you'll learn your preferences and about surge soon enough.
3) the app will have a button bottom corner that says "navigate" click it
4) you are now giving directions just like GPS, to navigate to the passenger.
5) roll your window down and make sure the person getting in your car has the same name as the name in your screen, do not ask them is your name Bob... ask them, what's your name?
6) if the name matches unlock the door let the passenger in
7) a bar at the bottom will say accept ride slide it to the right,
8) passengers destination will come up with GPS instructions make sure by asking them "what's your destination? " That this is where they actually want to go.
9) drive them to destination when finished slide the red bar at the bottom that says ride complete ( or something like that) to the right and your done... stay on line for your next request... hope this helps

#8 ·
The "Find trips towards destination" feature is for when you want to get a fare in the direction you want to go. This is especially helpful for when you're finishing up and want to get a ride towards the house. You can set it for anywhere you want to go up to six times a day.

Be sure you track your mileage somehow. Uber does not take taxes out of your income and you'll have to fill out a 1099 when you do your income tax. The mileage you drive for Uber is tax deductible (54 cents per mile driven for Uber). Uber only tracks your miles driven with passengers in the car, however all miles driven online are deductible. There are apps out there that will track your mileage but it sounds like your just now figuring stuff like that out. Simply keeping track with pen and paper is sufficient though. Just write your starting mileage when you go online and your ending mileage when you go off and total the mileage for each week.

#9 ·
Thank very much for that. You're right, this stuff is just beyond the learning curve signpost up ahead for me right now, but very good to have waiting for me once I arrive there.

Here's a general question: I live about four miles from a city with good bar traffic. I thought maybe I'd get some alerts for riders around this time, but have not. Generally speaking, do you need to be right down there where the action is to get a piece of this action?

#10 ·
Well...your off and running...

Butt..you are going to learn a lot...

So get ready...it can be FUN...

Butt...you will find out fast...

That it's kinda like your fav fishin hole...

Just like you...others have discovered it...

You may have a few weeks of good pings...

Butt...then it will get more scarce...

Most cities are oversaturated to the max...

You will need to find somewhere...

That doesnt have a driver on every corner...

Good luck...enjoy...and when all else fails...

Just throw poo...8>)

Rakos

PS. Oh yes...and dont forget to pray to the Uber gods regularly...it might help...

#13 ·
Watch this video! I did before my first ride. The app is very slightly updated from this video but this will get you 90% of the way there.

#15 ·
And make sure you have Google maps set as your nav choice in the app. The default is Uber maps and it is Gawd'awful.

Instructions:
1. Go to account in the app. It's at the bottom right of the screen. Looks like a head and shoulders only person.

2. Click on setting

3. Click on navigation

4. Click on the box next to Google maps.

#17 ·
Hmmm . . . Sobering words. Is there general agreement that the supply is pretty far out in front of the demand in general terms and that to succeed with this it will take a significant amount of wiliness?
There are a lot of dogs eating out of the same bowl.

Either we need a bigger bowl, or less dogs in the pack.

#19 ·
So here's a little bit of palace intrigue, or maybe skullduggery, or maybe neither.

I did find out in advance about territorial boundaries and that, though you may cross them for deliveries, you may not profit from pick-ups on the other side.

Nonetheless I drove a rider to an out-of-territory destination today and on my way back I got pinged. And then I got singed.

It was a short ride and I happened to be about 1/17 of a mile away when notified of the new rider. But when I dropped her off (still outside territory) the app hemmed and hawed about disclosing my earnings for the trip. It went on "calculating" the ride for a long time and then never proffer an amount.

I picked up the rider because I would expect Uber would not ping me if I'd be simply doing it as a courtesy to corporate. But it appears I misjudged the situation.

Thoughts?

#20 ·
Happened to me then other day, the earnings calculation taking forever part. It took about 30 minutes for my trip to post ( it was a good one too so I spent those 30 minutes figuring out in what way Uber was going to escrew me)

It seems to me that if your app sent the ping in the territory it would mean you are approved in that area.

However we are talking about Uber here so who knows.

#22 ·
Hmm...guess you just had a learning experience.

You can always go to your local Green Light Hub and ask them about the trip. Or post about something directly related to your area on their page here on UP. That's the best way to find out about territory rules.

Thankfully our Governor knocked away all the silly ideas to regulate Uber and Lyft our individual cities had here in Texas and I can work anywhere in the state they are active.

#23 ·
You launch the Uber APP by touching the icon on your Android device. The Uber PAGE is something different - you get to it using a web browser on your phone/device/PC by putting the address into the address field OR by saving the address as a favorite. I don't think I've logged into that web site more than twice in four months, so not sure what people use it for.
Can you help me a little more with this? My Android shows no Uber icon on the screen when it starts up. Just the usual communication prompts and then some Google things like Play Store, the web browser, Chrome, etc. Is this where you think I should be seeing the Uber app?

Still just accessing via text link, and often that leads just to my settings. Not a dire circumstance as I can use this workaround, but if you know of a way to ensure I get the app planted on my start-up screen, I'd be very grateful to learn of it.

#33 ·
Odd, because I didn't even know that you could launch the app by using a link embedded in a text message. Did you download and install the Uber Driver app from the app store (there should be an icon on your screen for 'Play Store')? If not, that's what you need to do. If yes, then you SHOULD have an 'Uber Driver' icon on your phone. If it's not on your home screen, hit the 'Apps" icon and look for it (you may have to swish with your finger from right to left to see more icons). If you find it among the apps you can move it to your home screen by pressing and holding the icon, then depending on your version of Android you can either drag it to the home screen or drag it to a "Move" icon, which will then let you drag it to your home screen after you let go of it.

Odd, because I didn't even know that you could launch the app by using a link embedded in a text message. Did you download and install the Uber Driver app from the app store (there should be an icon on your screen for 'Play Store')? If not, that's what you need to do. If yes, then you SHOULD have an 'Uber Driver' icon on your phone. If it's not on your home screen, hit the 'Apps" icon and look for it (you may have to swish with your finger from right to left to see more icons). If you find it among the apps you can move it to your home screen by pressing and holding the icon, then depending on your version of Android you can either drag it to the home screen or drag it to a "Move" icon, which will then let you drag it to your home screen after you let go of it.
Also, if the app installed but you don't see it on your home screen the icon might be on another screen. From your home screen swipe right to left with one finger and you should see another screen with more icons. And there might even be a third one. If you find it on another screen you can press and hold it to drag it to your home screen.

#25 ·
This is going to offend a lot of people but buddy you are just not smart enough to drive.
A job picking daisies might be for you !

What happenens when your gps goes out or a drunk starts puking out the window .

Or better yet UBER calls you and asks for your account password and then all your earnings are gone !
Thanks! I know you meant well by this, you master of camouflage ;-) Some of us are not born with this knowledge.

View attachment 156223
Top row, 2nd icon. This is what you are looking for on your phone. It is the Uber driver app.

Now, you are an admitted technological Luddite so you might want to go to your phone provider and have them show you how to work your phone. They do it for free.
Thanks. What you describe does not show on my home screen, so good idea to hightail it to Sprint for a quick primer.

#29 ·
I'm sure in time I'll learn to bit*h about Uber, but just got some exciting news flashed to me by them: Boston is now an open territory for me. I live in the middle of the state and wouldn't have looked forward with much enthusiasm to driving someone to the Hub, but now, with the possibility of bringing someone back greenbacks are dancing in my head.

#30 ·
OK -- clock ticking toward my first experience with the weekend downtown bar crowd. Of course by now I've heard the stories about passengers leaving the contents of their stomachs behind and having no interest in reclaiming them. Does everyone have to deal with this in towns with colleges? Is it just a matter of how long you are lucky enough to avoid it, but your number will eventually come up? And then what? Do you continue on as if it was an unfortunate, but fully understandable bodily function of a mere mortal? Or do you kick them out and immediately seek some sort of restitution through Uber? If the latter is protocol is it necessary to furnish forensic evidence of the event, if only photographically?

#34 ·
I hate to be skeptical -- BUT -- how is it that you don't know how to launch the Uber app in the conventional way, but you already know about cleaning fees and how to obtain them? This is sort of advanced...I have had only one puker and according to absolutely everyone on UP I did everything wrong....and I had infinitely more experience than you at the time.

#31 ·
I don't drive the vomit shift but plenty around here can help you with that. Use the forum search function for the words drunks, vomit, unruly and puke. You'll find your soulmates in those threads. I have to say just by prowling around the forum I know how to deal with many things I haven't encountered yet and hopefully never will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.