Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone else is having problems with the GPS &/or the address that Uber sends to you to pick someone up?

Last night I had request to pick someone up at an address across the street from Pleasant Valley on Glenwood Ave. So, I got there & waited 3 or 4 mins & then called the guy to see what the hold up was &/or if I was at the wrong address. Turns out he wasn't anywhere close, he was way out on Wilmington St almost in Garner. I apologized & said it was probably an issue with the app & that I'd cancel the ride so he could try again & another driver that was closer to him would get him.

Then, tonight I'm over on Hillsborough St & get a request for an address further down Hillsborough St. I go down there & it turns out to be the fairgrounds! So, I called to see where she really was (maybe she was at Meredith or close by). Nope...this time she was in Chicago! Apparently this had already happened to her bc she started the conversation out with "are you even in Chicago"?

So, is this maybe an isolated issue or something that happens frequently? One bad trip I can overlook, but sending me on two wild-goose chases two nights in a row is getting expensive. Would they even compensate for something like this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swear Uber id f**king with me. After going back & forth with them on this, this is the latest email from them. They can't seem to grasp what happened. They sent me on a wild goose chase & when I showed up at the address they sent me to in Raleigh, only to find out the passenger is in Chicago, IL they tell me "If the trip is far away, its best if you contact the rider and advise them of the updated ETA."

I'm about to give up. I can handle many things, but laziness & stupidity are two things I don't do well with & Uber seems to have an abundance of both.

We want the Uber system to be as reliable as possible so riders are always able to get a ride when they need one. When you're sent a request that is a bit further away, it means you're the closest partner to the request.

If the trip is far away, its best if you contact the rider and advise them of the updated ETA. If they choose to cancel, it will not affect your acceptance rate. If the cancellation occurs after 5 minutes, you will be compensated according to the cancellation policy.

Here are a few tips you can use:

- Accept all trip requests that you receive.
- If you're not ready to accept requests, be sure to go offline.
- Make sure the volume is turned up on your phone so you can always hear the sound when a new request is received.

If it happened again in the near future, I suggest you to call the rider and politely ask to cancel the trip. in this case your acceptance rate won't be affected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry if I sound offensive, I do not intend to be. But, if you insist on ubering, when what you describe happens again, just go to where the pax dropped the pin, wait 5 minutes, cancel (wrong address), collect your $4 and move on. Make sure you get close to the pin and check your clock, 5 minutes to collect, if the pax calls you telling they are somewhere else, make them cancel if you have not been waiting 5 minutes but 5 minutes have pass since they made the request.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you did sound a little offensive (lol). But, I get it. I've done this 2 nights now & I honestly don't see the point. Maybe on weekends &/or if it ever surges (I saw that for the first time today on the app out in RTP) but I couldn't imagine doing this f/t like some people do. It would be a one way street to the poorhouse from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Misplaced pins happen. Wait 5 min & cancel as a no-show.

Occasionally I will make the effort to find & pick up a pax with a Misplaced pin. I will do this if they are not very far away or if the destination/surge makes it worth doing. Oh & they can't be purposely misplacing a pin to avoid surges.

And you are right, there is minimal profit in regular X rides especially if you pay 25% commission

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A misplaced pin I can see but this woman was in Chicago...800 miles away. Either she's a complete idiot (which is always possible, lol) or there was some issue with the app.

I actually didn't know about the 5 minute rule until this came up so I'll know for next time.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sometimes people type in business names or addresses, as they type, it will auro-complete the name/address. Sometimes distant cities have similar addresses/business names & a typo can result in a crazily Misplaced pin.

It happens. Uber doesn't care. Learn to get your no-show fee & move on.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I actually didn't know about the 5 minute rule until this came up so I'll know for next time.
There are two 5 minute cancellation rules.
1. Once you have waited 5 minutes, you can cancel (no-show) and collect your tuppence.
2. If the passenger cancels on his end after 5 minutes of you accepting the request, AND you are within 5 minutes of the original ETA, you will be able to collect your tuppence then as well.

·
Premium Member
8,924 Posts
I like tuppence, reminds me of the Ron White joke about cuppuns (drink coupons).

grayspinner is exactly on target, it's usually them entering a location and using autocomplete. Get there, make sure it's 5 minutes AFTER they placed the ping, call and if the location is off more than a block or two OR they have an attitude about you being in the wrong place, tell them they need to cancel and rerequest with the correct location. If they don't cancel, just cancel after 5 minutes after you've arrived as a no show. I hade one yesterday where they were at the SECU on Wake Forest but had entered the Centennial parkway address. Got my cancellation fee and went about my business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts