Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it really sad that all the uber drivers are paying GST now on top of their earning. and more shocking part is that UBER is taking your 20% for old driver and 25% for the newer ones. however they are also quite silently placed you to look after their GST on top of that 20% or 25 %. they are doing such a corrupted business by doiung so. i pay my GST for my income, you (UBER) should pay yours for your income. anyway all the drivers are sleeping so they dont want to wake u up coz they are sucking it very well without making you aware.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We are essentially paying GST on income that we don't even receive. They don't pay GST and they profit shift to offshore countries so they don't even pay income tax. They are truly an evil company and I look forward to the day when some government will clamp down on these bloodsucking companies

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Oh I'm sure Uber will fight and fleece its way out of it. Thats for sure!! Drivers will 'suck' it up again and cover it.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Yes you're both correct! But the laws are changing and next year, the ATO will force that overseas businesses will be required to pay GST on these sales from 1 July 2017. So in theory when this kicks in, Ubers will have to apply GST to its sale and then pass that on to us as a GST credit, as its a online transaction.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Int...-to-imported-digital-products-and-services/#;)
1 July 2017 Uber rates will be around 65 cent per km... so don't wait until then

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
This all "GST drivers must pay" fiasco is a farce and the ATO knows it. They have no case in court. Drivers don't even get to collect the money let alone determine the price or charge the customer directly. How are we drivers made to pay the GST?... it is simply unlawful and the ATO will have their day in court soon enough.
hahaha thanks for the laugh Max, clearly not a business person are you?

GST is a legal law applied to ALL business income for the last 15+ years. You are not a employee of Uber, so its a 'business' income.

They don't need a court case, the law is very clear. You pay GST on all business income. Ever wondered why all receipts you get have a little section showing GST?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
We are employees and not contractors when it comes to the law. We can not be made to pay GST when it is not even us who collect the money. Its gray area yet to be determined in court.
Its not that a grey area, we are contractors. We have no employment agreement, no PAYG summary, no pay slips, no super being paid etc.

Until a case goes before a court and is won to say otherwise, we are contractors. You can say what you like, and yes I agree looking at certain guidelines we should be employees I do agree with this but the fact is, until the above happens we are contractors, now that might not legally be correct, but that is what is it today.

So until that changes, Uber is business income and ABN/GST is required, from the first $1 as per the ATO law/rulings that taxi/ride sharing drivers pay GST from $1.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
This all "GST drivers must pay" fiasco is a farce and the ATO knows it. They have no case in court. Drivers don't even get to collect the money let alone determine the price or charge the customer directly. How are we drivers made to pay the GST?... it is simply unlawful and the ATO will have their day in court soon enough. Uber is the one they should be going after. Not us!

Either we are legal or not!, either we are contractors or not!.... the stats and the ATO want to have their cake and eat it too. What a load of BS!

I have no doubt the courts will look at this whole fiasco very differently when the time comes.
So don't pay and go to court.
Tell us if u win...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Not me. I'm paying my share of GST. But you bet someone will go to court eventually and will turn this thing the right way. Its not an "if", just a "when"...
If you're paying your share, then why dribble all that crap about not having to pay it? Practice what you preach.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Not me. I'm paying my share of GST. But you bet someone will go to court eventually and will turn this thing the right way. Its not an "if", just a "when"...
The ATO can do whatever he wants to.
And the government will not give up any cent they can get so as long Uber doesn't have ABN we will pay it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paying GST on our incoime + ubers income(20%),
thats very wrong, Ubers should look after their part. loosing money both ways. they are cheating on the name of business or telling you are a contractor.
i also work in a business, pay tax on my income. my employer should take part of my salary in order to pay their part of tax on profit too.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
i also work in a business, pay tax on my income. my employer should take part of my salary in order to pay their part of tax on profit too.
GASP, your employer is already doing that...... You're making them 'profit' and out of that, they pay you and other things for the business like the tax bill.

paying GST on our incoime + ubers income(20%),
While I don't disagree, the devil is in the wording.

See the 'Uber driver' earns the FULL FARE AMOUNT, and Uber then 'charges' a commission for arranging the services. Uber so kindly deducts that 'fee' for us as they handle the payment from the rider to me.

So in the eyes of the ATO, the Uber driver earned the full fare amount, and GST is payable on the entire amount.

As I said, its all in the wording and the layout of the payment etc.

Whats really wrong, is the rider is being billed by Uber, not me directly. So in the real word they are paying Uber the full amount, and then Uber is only paying me 80-75% of it while keeping the rest. But due to the wording, Uber side stepped that and let drivers suck up the GST in full. Thats Uber!

No partner in partner with uber, thats for sure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I got a letter from the ATO 2 weeks ago that I have to pay gst and advised to get mine sorted if I haven't done so as yet. I have abn , registered get. So that's good. Prefer not to mess with ATO and do th right thing

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Its not that a grey area, we are contractors. We have no employment agreement, no PAYG summary, no pay slips, no super being paid etc.

Until a case goes before a court and is won to say otherwise, we are contractors. You can say what you like, and yes I agree looking at certain guidelines we should be employees I do agree with this but the fact is, until the above happens we are contractors, now that might not legally be correct, but that is what is it today.

So until that changes, Uber is business income and ABN/GST is required, from the first $1 as per the ATO law/rulings that taxi/ride sharing drivers pay GST from $1.
It is simply your opinion that we are not employees. It's an open legal question as to whether or not we are. Even where two parties have agreed that they are in a principal/contractor relationship and arranged their tax affairs to match, our courts have still found that two such parties can legally be in an employer/employee relationship. It is not as clear cut as you believe it is. The ATO's own employee/contractor decision tool suggests that most Uber drivers would be employees and entitled to super, etc. Give it a go and see for yourself:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Employee-or-contractor/

Uber is certainly not the first company to try and avoid paying the entitlements that come with employment, and our courts have heard many cases of this type before.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts