Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question to get some honest feedback from drivers like myself. This is with regards to uber x in Los Angeles, practically one of the bigger markets in the U.S. which I must say, has $0 base fare. So check this:
Get a call to go pick up a pax that is:
1 mile away
5 minutes to get to location
3 minutes for pax to come out
1.6 miles pax is Goin
8 minutes to drop off location
$4.74 is the fare
$3.74 after (SRF $1 subtraction )
$2.50 total payout ( after uber's cut)
So that's a total of:
16 minutes
2.6 miles
Equals $2.50 with $0 base fare.
And let me just throw in the gas it took you to run this trip. Shaking my ****ing head. At the end of the day people, any way u twist it, & turn it, the NUMBERS DON'T LIE! Working for uber is not $20 nor $10 an hour, it's more like $7 an hour. People at in n out burger makes more than that. We gotta use OUR cars, OUR gas, OUR time, & put up with major bullshit from passager to make $2.50 in 16 minutes. We can't blame the passenger's & say they are cheap, it's UBER the slave master to blame. Los Angeles, one of the biggest uber markets, but uber X, the most cheaper & reliable form of uber, has a $0, I repeat, $0 Base Fare. Wake up people, like ****ing seriously, wake the **** up! When did we become so desperate??? Stand up for what's right. Stand for something, or fall for everything! This company has a $40+ BILLION net worth, but we out here running OUR cars in the ground for crumbs........Uber is a ****ing joke!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
grossly underpaid and unappreciated, YES i agree to that! but UberX drivers are not Slaves. You are "free" to "quit" and terminate your agreement with Uber at any time.

from wikipedia:
Slavery is a legal or economic system in which principles of property law can apply to humans so that people can be treated as property,[1] and can be owned, bought and sold accordingly, and cannot withdraw unilaterally from the arrangement. While a person is a slave, the owner is entitled to the slave's labour, without any remuneration. The rights and protection of the slave may be regulated by laws and customs in a particular time and place, and a person may become a slave from the time of their capture, purchase or birth. Such slavery is commonly referred to as chattel slavery or traditional slavery. It is the least prevalent form of slavery in the world today.[2]

·
Registered
857 Posts
nailed it
grossly underpaid and unappreciated, YES i agree to that! but UberX drivers are not Slaves. You are "free" to "quit" and terminate your agreement with Uber at any time.

from wikipedia:
Slavery is a legal or economic system in which principles of property law can apply to humans so that people can be treated as property,[1] and can be owned, bought and sold accordingly, and cannot withdraw unilaterally from the arrangement. While a person is a slave, the owner is entitled to the slave's labour, without any remuneration. The rights and protection of the slave may be regulated by laws and customs in a particular time and place, and a person may become a slave from the time of their capture, purchase or birth. Such slavery is commonly referred to as chattel slavery or traditional slavery. It is the least prevalent form of slavery in the world today.[2]

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I posted this question to get some honest feedback from drivers like myself. This is with regards to uber x in Los Angeles, practically one of the bigger markets in the U.S. which I must say, has $0 base fare. So check this:
1 mile away
1.6 miles pax is Goin
$4.74 is the fare
So that's a total of:
16 minutes
2.6 miles
And let me just throw in the gas it took you to run this trip. Shaking my ****ing head. At the end of the day people, any way u twist it, & turn it, the NUMBERS DON'T LIE! Working for uber is not $20 nor $10 an hour, it's more like $7 an hour. People at in n out burger makes more than that. We gotta use OUR cars, OUR gas, OUR time, & put up with major bullshit from passager to make $2.50 in 16 minutes. We can't blame the passenger's & say they are cheap, it's UBER the slave master to blame. Los Angeles, one of the biggest uber markets, but uber X, the most cheaper & reliable form of uber, has a $0, I repeat, $0 Base Fare. Wake up people, like ****ing seriously, wake the **** up! When did we become so desperate??? Stand up for what's right. Stand for something, or fall for everything! This company has a $40+ BILLION net worth, but we out here running OUR cars in the ground for crumbs........Uber is a ****ing joke!
Not only is this a low paying minimum wage endeavor, think about the poor guys UBER X has put in financial distress. Forget the cabbies, how bout your fellow / former UBER partners that have invested in Black Cars / SUV s / luxury cars / Ect.... UBER X is disrupting within its own platform. Cheap fares are making everyone work for peanuts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lets say 500 of us send an email to uber demanding to raise the rates, add a tip option or deactivate my account.
What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I usually do surge rides only, but last Sunday I decided to drive and it was slow and no surge, after taking a couple of none surge rides, at the end of the day i felt like shit giving rides for a $1 a mile.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Not only is this a low paying minimum wage endeavor, think about the poor guys UBER X has put in financial distress. Forget the cabbies, how bout your fellow / former UBER partners that have invested in Black Cars / SUV s / luxury cars / Ect.... UBER X is disrupting within its own platform. Cheap fares are making everyone work for peanuts.
What are you talking abou? Black and SUV are doing fine here in LA. I have met several drivers over the last few months. They all say the same thing, which is that they are bringing in 300+ per day. Yes, they need to rent the car etc. but doing fine and happy to repeat each week. Numbers have been capped to keep things exactly this way.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Drop in the bucket and likely they will simply pull your plug or ignore you. Maybe you'll get a email full of uber speak and uber math.
Lets say 500 of us send an email to uber demanding to raise the rates, add a tip option or deactivate my account.
What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
544 Posts

from wikipedia:
It's a FIGURE of speech moron! And what's with this "If you don't like it quit?" It was never about whether we liked it or not BUT about being treated fairly LIKE IN ANY JOB MARKET! get it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you 'soon soon', because 'Racer X' is surely an idiot. Just fyi 'racer x', like 'soon soon' said, it's just a figure of speech. Nobody said anything about quitting, but just because of drivers like you, we will never get our voices heard, because u don't think we deserve any better. And for the record, u don't have to define what slavery is for me, because I can guarantee that i'm way more educated than you. We just over here trying to put things into perspective. Hey, you'really so smart, so just go be a teacher or something, effing clown

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
1 mile away
1.6 miles pax is Goin
$4.74 is the fare
So that's a total of:
16 minutes
2.6 miles
Their worth 50 billion, and that is why you must call the pass first before accepting ride. If you have s good sales pitch, you can pull it off without issues. I get burned in SD airport also, but I turn down rides when I'm tired until I get what I want.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Their worth 50 billion, and that is why you must call the pass first before accepting ride. If you have s good sales pitch, you can pull it off without issues. I get burned in SD airport also, but I turn down rides when I'm tired until I get what I want.
Calling Passenger is a No No. Cherry picking rides is a one or two star rating coming your ways. Many passengers will see through your deception.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

from wikipedia:
So the definition of slavery you posted is just for one group of slaves - what does wikipedia say about other forms of slavery?
Anything about the drivers who are tied into Santanda and other leases?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
It's a FIGURE of speech moron! And what's with this "If you don't like it quit?" It was never about whether we liked it or not BUT about being treated fairly LIKE IN ANY JOB MARKET! get it?
I understand it's a figure of speech. I never said "if you don't like it quit". I just pointed out that we have the option of quitting where as a true Slave does not. Using the word "slavery" to describe UberX drivers is a complete disgrace and dishonor to all people throughout history that have had to really endure the wrath of slavery without choice. Are what we going through the same as what the Blacks in america went through years ago? I agreed whole heartedly that we are underpaid and unappreciated. you are free to choose any description you want to describe the UberX job. It's a free country. if you want to call me a moron thats Ok. I however don't like the use the word slavery in this context. I've been posting for almost two years now on various sites regarding Uber and have written many post about their unjust treatment of drivers. Like many others I just prefer to use words EXPLOITED or OPPRESSED. so, if this makes me an idiot in your eyes, well then I'm Ok with that.

EDIT: Remember the OPs title was a question: is UberX modern day slavery? I just gave an anwser that expressed my thought on the subject. yes, we are being taken advantage of and no we are not slaves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok Racer X, that makes a lot more sense. Thought for a minute u were trying to have Uber's back. I don't mean slavery in a literal sense. Using exploited or oppressed is much better. No hard feelings. I completely get the sense of what you'really trying to say. Didn't call u a moron though, I said u were a clown, so my apology

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

from wikipedia:
You are correct. Technically it is not slavery. Definitely exploitative. By misclassifying workers as independent contracts rather than employees, Uber's scheme is getting around the protection of labor, OSHA and other worker protection laws. Yes, everyone can turn off the app and stop driving. However, the origins of our labor laws wasn't to outlaw slavery, it was to make sure workers received fair wages and provided worker protections so they would no longer be exploited and mistreated. I guess you could say a child could have walked out of a factory in the early 20th century. We, as a society, decided to get children out of the factories and pushed to pass child labor laws. I suppose it comes down to what kind of society we want have and if we want to turn the US job market into that of China and 3rd world countries who have very little worker protections, which, as we know, will only benefit the wealthy and leave the People poor and without power.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
To what numbers are you referring?
Number of vehicles allowed on the pro level platforms.

Wouldn't it be nice if they did the same for X and Select?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
You are correct. Technically it is not slavery. Definitely exploitative. By misclassifying workers as independent contracts rather than employees, Uber's scheme is getting around the protection of labor, OSHA and other worker protection laws. Yes, everyone can turn off the app and stop driving. However, the origins of our labor laws wasn't to outlaw slavery, it was to make sure workers received fair wages and provided worker protections so they would no longer be exploited and mistreated. I guess you could say a child could have walked out of a factory in the early 20th century. We, as a society, decided to get children out of the factories and pushed to pass child labor laws. I suppose it comes down to what kind of society we want have and if we want to turn the US job market into that of China and 3rd world countries who have very little worker protections, which, as we know, will only benefit the wealthy and leave the People poor and without power.
Well said Gemgirlla. One thing is for sure the "gig" economy is in the spotlight and will be a major issue in 2016 election. we all need to keep abreast of the issues that matter most and support the people/Org's/Groups that are aligned with our belief systems.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts