Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving on and off since Uber began in New Orleans. Recently I have noticed a definite down shift in the money. Seems like they flooded the market with drivers. As I see it, driving for Uber you are making about minimum wage after gas, insurance, expenses and taxes. Now with this down shift (that I've noticed) in the money that's out there for doing UberX, I'm wondering if it's even worth my time. Any other "old school" NOLA Uber drivers have thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
With the holidays and stuff coming there will be more drivers, and that will drive it down even more. I have been driving in New Orleans and basically have to work 12 hours to make something decent. I stay out of Jefferson because I am one of the ones who the Parish is suing because I got busted picking up at a hotel there, and Uber wont help! It just isn't what it use to be and now the cut from Uber has went up and i hear they may take away the $5.00 cancellation fee (they just did in Houston). Not good anymore!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's bad. They flooded the market with drivers. I was online last night for an hour while just walking around my neighborhood which is the Marigny/FQ and not one ping. Uber is a waste of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Idk. Depends on when you're driving in my opinion. I was out last night downtown warehouse district, and it was ping after ping. They have saturated the market it's true, and maybe it's not worth it if you're only doing it part time. I do know sometimes you just have to go where the people are. That may not be you're neighborhood all of the time

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive been talking to a few of the "Friendly" cab drivers when im in the city around the hotels. Some have drove for Uber and went back to driving cabs, they say you make way more money still in the cabs. Even with all the expenses because Uber has way too many cars and all Uber wants is MORE cars so it will never be good for the drivers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove for Uber in Los Angeles and I quit due to the same reasons you talk about on this thread. There wasa time when you could make great money but then Uber got greedy and reduced the cost per mile from $1.50 to .90 cents a mile. That and the influx of drivers its hard to get a ping. Also, I see a lot of the rides in downtown an mainly drunks and conventioneers bar hopping or going back to ther hotels. Granted you may get a lot of pings but you are putting a ton of wear and tear on your vehicles for probably minimum wage.

Best of luck to you drivers in NOLA, Its a tough gig to make any real money. You'll make pocket change which is great but after about 3-4 months you will realize its a losing a porposition and you will quit. Heck, Uber is now on the radio and National TV so everyone wants to drive for them. Look at the Uber app and see how many cars are near you. Does it look like a bunch of ants trying to get a piece? Hope it works out for you but I could only last about 5 months before I hung it up. Drunk passengers are the worst too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started last Monday as a driver,I have already made $1874.00. That's working about 45 hours. You can't drive around and wait for pings. It's a complete waste the gas if you do. Surge pricing helps out a lot. Also you have to know the city extremely well also were the sweet spot are at. I'm going to make over 2k this week.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just started last Monday as a driver,I have already made $1874.00. That's working about 45 hours. You can't drive around and wait for pings. It's a complete waste the gas if you do. Surge pricing helps out a lot. Also you have to know the city extremely well also were the sweet spot are at. I'm going to make over 2k this week.
Yea right, trust me I believe you made that!!! That may be what you made before all expenses and Ubers Cut. I meet up once a week with about 20 Uber drivers from NOLA and none of us have heard of or is seeing those amounts in our pockets as take home money!

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's the glass half full/ half empty approach.
I believe you get what to put out there.
If you go out there all negative a pessimistic, you will find just that. If you go with a positive perspective, you get just that.

What you put in is what you will get out.
Put your best foot forward, and you'll get the results. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts