Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Straight up question: Is Uber truly worth it?

To give you some background, I just bought a new car and figured I might try to make this asset create some positive cash flow to my financials. I'm just looking for $200-$300 a week net profit to dump into my car payment/student loans. Here's the kicker, I already have a professional job that I work 40hrs a week, and I only plan to drive a few hours at night after work, and during the day on Saturdays (I realize the good money is Saturday nights, but I'm only 24 and go out most weekends). I live 4 miles from downtown, near the Dogtown neighborhood, so I assume finding passengers won't be all that difficult, but I'd like some input. Is this possible?

I have looked through some of these threads and the overall trend seems to be clear 'too many St. Louis Uber drivers'. I also realize that some people are pretty negative towards new drivers because they may have made more income in the past when there were less drivers and/or they work for a taxi company; but I realize these are bias opinions.

Any information is welcome. Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I drive periodically weekday evenings and some Saturdays. I typically average about $15 - $20 per hour. Most of the time my tips cover my fuel costs. So, I've done Okay. I rarely earned less than $250 per week. I haven't driven much this summer - so not sure how the flood of new UBER drivers are having on the bottom line.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
This question gets asked by an uber-bot in training at least 5 times a day.
Unfortunately, this question really brings out the trolls and Debbie Downers. It also brings out the kool-aid drinkers.

Honestly, there is no right answer. You should drive for 3 months and track all of your expenses.
The reason for 90 days is because there is a learning curve. Many rookies drive for a week and then get discouraged. You won't be that profitable until you get some experience under your belt.

Pay attention to trends and find out what works for you. And when uber tells you where the hot spots are, go the opposite direction. Don't chase surge either.

Never stress about ratings!

This is a good way to earn extra money, but it's not a career.

Good luck to you out there. Hope this helps brother.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat as you. Just started driving and will be happy with only $1k/mo.. So far I've only driven 2-3 hrs per day, a few days a week but starting next week will be able to drive 5-8 hrs/day 5 days a week..
Most days have been making $50-$60 .. Today made $93 in just 3 hrs..
I think it's the guys that need to put food on the table, pay rent, and the car payment that are getting angry/frustrated.. But for us that don't need much, it's easier/less stressful/more worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I truly appreciate all of your input. I guess I'll give it the ole try then and see how it pans out! Thanks again!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey all,

To give you some background, I just bought a new car and figured I might try to make this asset create some positive cash flow to my financials. I'm just looking for $200-$300 a week net profit to dump into my car payment/student loans. Here's the kicker, I already have a professional job that I work 40hrs a week, and I only plan to drive a few hours at night after work, and during the day on Saturdays (I realize the good money is Saturday nights, but I'm only 24 and go out most weekends). I live 4 miles from downtown, near the Dogtown neighborhood, so I assume finding passengers won't be all that difficult, but I'd like some input. Is this possible?

I have looked through some of these threads and the overall trend seems to be clear 'too many St. Louis Uber drivers'. I also realize that some people are pretty negative towards new drivers because they may have made more income in the past when there were less drivers and/or they work for a taxi company; but I realize these are bias opinions.

I got ticketed by the MTC and now my insurance company has cancelled my driver's policy anybody know where we can get commercial liability insurance because my company says no! ???

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat as you. Just started driving and will be happy with only $1k/mo.. So far I've only driven 2-3 hrs per day, a few days a week but starting next week will be able to drive 5-8 hrs/day 5 days a week..
Most days have been making $50-$60 .. Today made $93 in just 3 hrs..
I think it's the guys that need to put food on the table, pay rent, and the car payment that are getting angry/frustrated.. But for us that don't need much, it's easier/less stressful/more worth it.
Food , rent , car payment for $1000 ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
One word, NO, i used to make 300 a week, i stopped driving not enough bussiness for the amount of ubers on the road, Plus I dont know if all you new ubers know , uber is screwing new drivers, rates are half what they used to be, no surges, and they take 25% of the far... older drivers its only 20. There really isnt very good money in uber anymore, and they do not look out for the drivers at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My friend,s car winshoeld broken and the brakes ade wore out, and many new problems for 2016 rav 4 , the winshield alone for 1500 , he is not driving anymore , not mention the risk for driving two long , Im personaly was about to be in very bad accident two weeks ago. NOT WORTH IT

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started driving a month ago. I drive every night Mon-Thurs for 3hrs or so and Fri-Sat 6p-1am. The best money has always been Fri/Sat from 9p on. If you wanna make real change...re-think your plan. I can easy make $200 a weekend on those night...but the rest of the night's may bring in $150 total. If you don't want to drive those premium hours...you won't make your goal. The rest are right...there are too many of us. I've heard it gets better when college students are back...guess we'll see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started driving a month ago. I drive every night Mon-Thurs for 3hrs or so and Fri-Sat 6p-1am. The best money has always been Fri/Sat from 9p on. If you wanna make real change...re-think your plan. I can easy make $200 a weekend on those night...but the rest of the night's may bring in $150 total. If you don't want to drive those premium hours...you won't make your goal. The rest are right...there are too many of us. I've heard it gets better when college students are back...guess we'll see.
The original question is completely subjective. Individuals have different definitions of value and worth.

Even working the weekend nights you may still only be looking at $12-20/hr GROSS. Nobody is getting rich here.

Since Uber has only been in STL since Sept of last year (when school was already in session) there is not enough data/evidence on which to base that statement. We would need more yearly cycles to produce statistically significant results.

I believe that the consumer will ultimately win in the end. What we need to focus on is opening up the airport and St Charles County. The taxi commission is strong but big business (Uber) is much stronger. Action and patience grasshoppers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey all,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Who has commercial car insurance --
AAA will cancel you when they find out you UBER DRIVE

WHICH INSURANCE COMPANIES COVER UBER DRIVERS WITHOUT BREAKING OUR BANKS

·
Registered
49 Posts
your net profit number question relies on some variables that you didnt mention, i,e what kind of car you drive/MPG , coffee/redbull expense etc. I GROSSED $35.72 last night in 5 trips, 25 miles, 2:24 online from 1815 to 2130 with a social break to hang out with friends in the middle. I get about 20 mpg ($3ish in gas, thankfully gas prices are very low) and ate dinner out ($8) instead of a bachelor dinner at home ($3.) So right there my net is down to $26-27. add in car wear and tear maint and we are looking at $10/hr ish ... I would guess your desired earnings are attainable but will require you to watch your costs and hustle ( like work hard not drive fast) -----but I truly enjoy talking with and learning about people so Imma keep doin it for while and when they get a foothold at Lambert I will see you there! MO MONEY MO MONEY !!!

Use my code if you wanna sign up ----- DMJNNK12UE

·
Registered
10 Posts
I truly appreciate all of your input. I guess I'll give it the ole try then and see how it pans out! Thanks again!
Do a 90 day trial like somebody suggested. But, truthfully, in the long run, when you add all your expenses, including maintenance on your vehicle, you really do not make that much at all. The people on this thread telling you how much they made, I would almost guarantee they mean gross pay, not net. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts