Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For good or bad the Taxi industry has adhered to government regulations. Insurance, machinery inspections, security features etc etc etc... The public gets an open and transparent service monitored and backed by the government. The government sets a fair meter price that takes in all these extras that benefit the consumer.

Taxi plates including stamp duties and service fees and charges raise money for the State. Federally Tax and GST.

Really... what does UBER adhere to? Nothing but a philosophy of corporate greed and tax avoidance. And what little tax they pay they send over seas to a pair of over pampered brats in California.

Of course UberX drivers haven't paid a cent of Tax to date... No GST No insurance for their passengers. potentially unsafe vehicles and no transparent oversight for the government to keep a eye on...

I mean really... on what grounds would someone support UberX over the ever giving Taxi industry?

Lets discuss...

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, so IMHO..

Recently I've been interviewed by a UT student during a ride.. The argument was for, then against the taxi industry. I gave him my pro UBER side of things.

Here is what I talked about.

The regulation side of things is a heavy burden on the Taxi industry. I argue to deregulate the taxi's to be more like UBER. Background checks are still important, and I think a yearly inspection of the vehicles is a good idea.. for UBER/LYFT too. As a sole proprietor it is up to YOU to get the insurance needed beyond what UBER requires. Also, to report those taxes!! Its your ass.. I have Full + Gap coverage which I chose upon purchasing my new 2105 Toyota Prius V. I take all of this very seriously and I always strive for 5!

Why RideSharing and not a taxi..

#1 R/S is a fraction of the cost, and no cash needed.
This keeps criminal activity to a bare minimum, we would all hope for ZERO crime, but lets be honest.. ALL humans have a bit of rascality in them.

#2 More personable and/or local drivers. I do not speak for all of us, but I excel at hospitality. I believe we all should. If you struggle with it.. this is not your gig. After adapting to this role quickly, I realized that I love the Tampa Bay night crowd lol.

#3 Amazingly fast pick ups. As a driver I get to the PAX ASAP.. In the past, as a nightclub bouncer, I have watched taxi's roll up an hour later yelling at me to get the rider, or not show up, or get cutthroated by a different cab company. Surly folk they are (#2).

#4 Showroom cleanliness is standard. Again, can not be a voice for all, but ratings are our god, our regulation. This has to be the most noticed and scrutinized aspect I hear between the 2 type of public transport. Even ranging form UBER to UBER. Keep it showroom clean. ( I detailed my 2007 Dodge Caliber as well.. riders loved it! They could not tell I had 3 kids riding regularly in that thing.)

#5 Intoxicated folks are more likely to UBER. Thus keeping them from possibly harming others on the road. Where PAX might, for any of the factors mentioned above, would have avoided a taxi and drove themselves instead...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, Uber is in a position to critique the taxi industry as they're winning customers from them whilst the taxi industry flounders to compete effectively. But it doesnt matter what Uber says - they're in competition so of course they're going to say negetive things about the taxi industry, just as the taxi industry says negetive things about Uber. Its Coke vs Pepsi, Mac vs PC, Holden vs Ford. Who cares? Only thing that matter is what the customers choose.

"I mean really... on what grounds would someone support UberX over the ever giving Taxi industry?"

Ask the riders - they're abandoning cabs in favour or Uber (take this how you want, but I do ask them and they say it's 1: friendliness and cleanliness, 2: arriving on time, 3: ease of use, 4: price).

(PS: I pay tax, Fishy. Both income tax and GST instantly via BPay and a percentage of what I earn goes to both my personal insurance and Uber's drivers insurance. You've been relayed this many time before, why wont you believe it? http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif )

·
Registered
998 Posts
Shock - how does arriving on time work - uber is an on demand taxi service - they app request you app respond - simple, but not 'on time'
The other night I found 5 locations at approx 5pm where all it said was ' no uberx avail' ! - how it is you are on time I you can't even get a car ??
Example - I have just finished a meeting at port of brisbane and need to get back to airport to fly home to Sydney - drop the pin and get 'no uber avail ' what do I do ???? I have a flight to catch ? How is that 'on time ' ?

·
Registered
998 Posts
To Shock and all the others doing in car surveys - stastically asking 4 riders in an Uber car ' do you prefer Uber ?' And then saying 4 out of 4 , or 100% of people prefer Uber . A good taxi driver could ask the same question and get the same response ( remember brisbane taxis transport 40,000 jobs a day ) - or better still 100% of coke drinkers prefer coke !?
A true survey would be properly representative of the population and not draw on only one user type .
Maybe the non-Uber user would say they want travel with Uber because of insurance issues / failure to follow regulations / potential drunk or fatigued drivers / tax loss to o/s company .. Or more ...
Please let us all at least be realistic in our statements - if we going to generalise we could even say that all catholic priests are pedophiles ( which I know that the are not) ...

·
Registered
295 Posts
To Shock and all the others doing in car surveys - stastically asking 4 riders in an Uber car ' do you prefer Uber ?' And then saying 4 out of 4 , or 100% of people prefer Uber . A good taxi driver could ask the same question and get the same response ( remember brisbane taxis transport 40,000 jobs a day ) - or better still 100% of coke drinkers prefer coke !?
A true survey would be properly representative of the population and not draw on only one user type .
Maybe the non-Uber user would say they want travel with Uber because of insurance issues / failure to follow regulations / potential drunk or fatigued drivers / tax loss to o/s company .. Or more ...
Please let us all at least be realistic in our statements - if we going to generalise we could even say that all catholic priests are pedophiles ( which I know that the are not) ...
Hard to argue with that Shifty! :)

I'm almost scared to ask, but would reducing taxi plate costs to nil go far in levelling things out? Because the more I read stuff here, the more it becomes obvious to me that taxis have HEAPS of costs to cover... The plate one seems ridiculous now.

INSTEAD, the authorities could assess each taxi, and if it had all of the necessary features fitted, then that would be enough cost to be lugged with (more than enough even). This is what I would do... and only let more cabs on the system as they become needed with population growth. Governments would have to collect their revenues some other way.

I think Graeme Samuel (Victorian TSC Chairman) may have hinted at this himself (the low/no plate cost bit), but I don't want to misquote him, so maybe I'll hush up about what I think he meant. Let's see what happens down the track. The whole thing is so bloody tricky actually... :confused:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi Uberplates - it is interesting that as some people learn more about the ground transport industry and the real costs of doing business , together with the fact that when you flood the system with drivers to enable fast pickup you also minimise driver income - and finding te balance is the hard part , and some contributions on hear calling for restrictions on Uber driver numbers - then really it starts sounding like a mirror image of the taxi industry and many of the things uber started out to challenge - it just takes a while for some people to get how unsustainable the model is ! Maybe they should be volunteers for the uber charity !!

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Want to become a driver, can i drive with i30 or has to be sedan. I have been as a rider for awhile but never been picked up by hatch back. Please reply, thanks!
Personally I don't recommend driving for Uber, however if you still feel like you want to after thoroughly studying this forum for all relevant information.

A 4 door i30 would be fine

Requirments;
Change car insurance to NRMA Business use, and notify them you'll be driving for Uber.
To stay within NRMA insurance coverage you must not work or be online more than 20 hours.
Partnerpeople.com.au will take care of your taxation obligations, get in contact with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts